Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Seafoam Questions

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the opinions and advice. So just some more questions.... sorry.

Gary Huard - Can you please give me more info on BG products? Are they available in Canada?

BurnBoy - Is taking off the MAF cal really necessary? I have the TCAI and don't really want to take off my grille. Can you describe more about the CEL code? Is this going to last just when I'm slowly pouring in the SeaFoam or for a period after?

Thanks again for everyones input.

Gary Huard

Reaction score
Forgive me I am not very good when it comes to my geographicswhen it comes to Canada. What I can tell you there is a vendor in Alberta Canada but I am not sure how far this is for you. Here is their information for BG products distribution Alberta http://www.bgservice.com/dist-AlbertaCAN.html. To save you a drive or any hassle if you are able to purchase products off of eBay both of the products in mention are available on their website. You also might consider contacting some of the local automotive retailers in your area to see if they use these products in their service departments. You might just walk out and be able to purchase something from them.

I hope this information helps
Take care

justin13703

Reaction score
Can you describe more about the CEL code? Is this going to last just when I'm slowly pouring in the SeaFoam or for a period after?
I think that he meant that if you decide to unplug the MAF sensor and run the truck, it will throw a cel for not having the sensor plugged in. Ive done it by accident a couple times and it will stay on for a day or two and then go back off. But if you do decide to unplug the sensor, it only takes about 10 seconds to get the grill off. Ive never heard of having to unplug that, but Ive never used seafoam either.

burnboy

Reaction score
If you take that hose off, you introduce unmetered air into the system after the maf. Inturn it might run shitty and die. Maybe that's only on boosted vehicles.

darthyota

Reaction score
bg products are great and are avalible localy i have used them before one of the shops i used to work in used and carried them as well they are a great product

hotrodt

Reaction score
I've done done it to my truck without unplugging the maf sensor. Worked great w no problems what si ever. Not sure y guys are totally against it but I'm sure some dumbass out there used it wrong and gave it a bad review.

Tunedx

Reaction score
Does the same method apply to using seafoam in 03 Honda Civic.

IndyXRunner25

Reaction score
I use to do trade shows when I worked for Lucas Oil Products. I spent some time with a Sea Foam Rep one time. He said the stuff was made to clean boats back in the day and that is what it was designed for before people started using it as a fuel injector and upper cylinder cleaner. The biggest issue with the product is that it is harsh cleaner. He actually told me when he tells auto parts stores to sell it run the Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment afterwards because the Lucas will lubricate the top end afterwards. I know the Seam Foam says it has a lubricant in it but it is enough to protect seals. The Seam Foam stuff is kinda like brake parts cleaner.

rich017

Reaction score
I use to do trade shows when I worked for Lucas Oil Products. I spent some time with a Sea Foam Rep one time. He said the stuff was made to clean boats back in the day and that is what it was designed for before people started using it as a fuel injector and upper cylinder cleaner. The biggest issue with the product is that it is harsh cleaner. He actually told me when he tells auto parts stores to sell it run the Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment afterwards because the Lucas will lubricate the top end afterwards. I know the Seam Foam says it has a lubricant in it but it is enough to protect seals. The Seam Foam stuff is kinda like brake parts cleaner.

Why would you want to lubricate the top end?? All seafoam is doing, is going into the intake manifold, through the intake valves and into the cylinders for combustion. At any point in that pathway, where is lubrication ever needed? No where. Lucas oil is junk IMO. C'mon, they sell an additive for oil that just turns it into molasses.

Run seafoam through the vacuum line coming from the brake booster. Nothing really cleans the fuel system unless you run the vehicle purely off of something like BG and cut the fuel pump. Actually modern injectors have a teflon tip and they don't clog. Use Seafoam to break up carbon buildup by the vacuum line method. It does work. So does water as it eats at carbon

Tunedx

Reaction score
Why would you want to lubricate the top end?? All seafoam is doing, is going into the intake manifold, through the intake valves and into the cylinders for combustion. At any point in that pathway, where is lubrication ever needed? No where. Lucas oil is junk IMO. C'mon, they sell an additive for oil that just turns it into molasses.

Run seafoam through the vacuum line coming from the brake booster. Nothing really cleans the fuel system unless you run the vehicle purely off of something like BG and cut the fuel pump. Actually modern injectors have a teflon tip and they don't clog. Use Seafoam to break up carbon buildup by the vacuum line method. It does work. So does water as it eats at carbon

I noticed my lower intake mainfold caked with carbon buildup. Should I just clean it now with carb cleaner or just use seafoam when I put it back to together?

darthyota

Reaction score
carb cleaner or brake cleaner will work just fine i would also sugest using a scotch brite pad too

Homemade

Reaction score
From what I understand... quick fixers like this one makes MORE problems then fixin it! I would be Careful with that kinda stuff....

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Any updates on this product. Did op try it yet?

I did try it today.... but not on the X. I did it to my dad's work Jeep that has 430 000KM or 270 000miles on it. I did notice a nicer idle and it was a little smoother under acceleration. I was anticipating a MASSIVE white cloud of smoke but it wasn't that great.... The seafoam did do the job. It might be because I'm very cautions but it took forever to slowly pore the seafoam into the brake booster line.

X-roller

Reaction score
If you take that hose off, you introduce unmetered air into the system after the maf. Inturn it might run shitty and die. Maybe that's only on boosted vehicles.

truck will run fine...... won't die if you unplug the that vacuum. :top: Avoid the hassle of a CEL and just do it. No need to unplug the MAF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLo1wwzoX2k

here is one that I did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom