Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sensation.

07speedwayblue

Reaction score
Whenever I start up my XR, and put it into first. Of course I start to go off, but whenever I get like 10 feet, I feel a little kick.

My theory is that something down there doesn't become taut until the engine starts to spin at least X amount of RPM's. (maybe the driveshaft? I'm not very knowledgeable about these things. I just drive the thing and notice what it's doing). It's always done this, but I was just wanting to make sure it's ok.

My truck does sound like crap at a stop light and in very low RPM in first gear. It sounds better in idle. I can hear clicking, like fromthe AC, and the engine.

Anyhow i'm no expert but I think that once a certain amount of rpm's or whatever is achieved, the truck tightens up, and then allows for the nice sound that we get, while we are cruising up the street.

I'm sure your engines do this too... (When i'm getting power and going up the RPM's, I can hear this whine. It's a pleasant sound. I call it power. It's almost like a little whirring. The only thing I can liken it to, is a miniature supercharger. I love it. I can only imagine what it would sound like with the S/C kit).

But anyhow, back to the question:.

Is the sensation I get, just the truck tightening up, since it is getting on the move, because it doesn't happen again, after that, until I leave it cold for a while.

Last edited:

SUODRAXAH

Reaction score
Whenever I start up my XR, and put it into first. Of course I start to go off, but whenever I get like 10 feet, I feel a little kick.

My theory is that something down there doesn't become taut until the engine starts to spin at least X amount of RPM's. (maybe the driveshaft? I'm not very knowledgeable about these things. I just drive the thing and notice what it's doing). It's always done this, but I was just wanting to make sure it's ok.

My truck does sound like crap at a stop light and in very low RPM in first gear. It sounds better in idle. I can hear clicking, like fromthe AC, and the engine.

Anyhow i'm no expert but I think that once a certain amount of rpm's or whatever is achieved, the truck tightens up, and then allows for the nice sound that we get, while we are cruising up the street.

I'm sure your engines do this too... (When i'm getting power and going up the RPM's, I can hear this whine. It's a pleasant sound. I call it power. It's almost like a little whirring. The only thing I can liken it to, is a miniature supercharger. I love it. I can only imagine what it would sound like with the S/C kit).

But anyhow, back to the question:.

Is the sensation I get, just the truck tightening up, since it is getting on the move, because it doesn't happen again, after that, until I leave it cold for a while.

I don't know if it's what your talking about but 1st gear for me is kinda "knocky". Thats the best way I can describe it, it's kinda like you can feel all the torque being transfered through out the drive train or something. Try starting in 2nd.

And about the clicking... I think that there is a TSB out for that

Edit: Heres the link to the thread about the engine click
http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=2273

Last edited:

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
Yeap sounds like a diesel sometimes hahha..I just turn my radio up and say •XR•XR•XR•XR it!

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does this "kick" occur when you're below a half tank of fuel? I notice a knock or kick (which I can feel in the pedals) when my gas tank is about half full. I guess it's just the gas sloshing in the tank. :dontknow:

Twisted Creations

Reaction score
apparently, there are folks out here with very sensitive ears and feet:dontknow: wish I could offer a solution, but never noticed either :hmmmm2:

07speedwayblue

Reaction score
It actually "bumps" when the engine is cold, as I start to go, once I hit like 5mph, I feel a little bump. Kind of like something is tightening up. I just chalk it up to the drive shaft spinning, or spinning faster, but I wasn't sure.

This is only upon a cold start, for when I haven't driven it for a period of time throughout the day. I can turn the truck off and restart it, once warm, and this does not happen again.

The engine whirring/whine:
Yeah, that's a better way to describe the whine. It sounds more like a diesel, but I like the sound. hehe.. :)
I actually turn my radio down, just to hear it. :)

Simplex Effect

Reaction score
apparently, there are folks out here with very sensitive ears and feet:dontknow: wish I could offer a solution, but never noticed either :hmmmm2:

My friend could hear the Fuel Pump while riding in the backseat of my PreRunner and X-Runner. No one else could hear it unless you payed really close attention.

07speedwayblue

Reaction score
I'm also a musician, and I have fairly bad eyesight. That's probably why I hear things so easily. I just chalked up most of the things I hear to "that's how the truck is".

The thump from the AC clutch was the scary one.

First gear can be knocky. I've noticed that I either have to take it up to speed for shifting to 2nd, or deal with it being knocky, but our 1st gear, is a neck snapper. Acclerating from first, my head pops into the rest, and then the head equalizes, but when I shift the thing into 2nd for acceleration. The truck actually accelerates more and I feel my head planted into the rest again. I love it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom