Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Shifter bushing

Coupe

Reaction score
I am curious to how many of you have broken the internal bushing in your stock or TRD SS shifter?

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
If you mean the interanals of the shifter..I broke my stock one

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
i haven't checked my TRD S/S bushing since I installed it...

maybe i should check it and take picture for you coupe...:hmmmm2:

VaBchXRunner

"The Bargain Baron"
Reaction score
inside the arm u mean???? i broke my stock one at 20,000 and tried the right stuff mod plus the screws but nothing worked. replace it with a trd and have no problems since:top:

Coupe

Reaction score
I am talking about the bushing inside your shifter stalk. When it wears out, it will make the shifter feel super sloppy.

This is bushing is also inside the TRD SS shifter as well as the stock one.

Last edited:

TacoInvader

Reaction score
I tried the right stuff as well and the stuff never cured all the way... I re-injected it with epoxy and it fixed all the play in it. simple $5 fix

VaBchXRunner

"The Bargain Baron"
Reaction score
I am talking about the bushing inside your shifter stalk. When it wears out, it will make the shifter feel super sloppy.

This is bushing is also inside the TRD SS shifter as well as the stock one.

for some reason the trd one just holds up better, i think my68ur8trd(justin) has had his in for 3 years now with no problems:top:

gosaints420

Reaction score
when i installed my b&m their was no bushing on the stocker, so i guess it broke.

Coupe

Reaction score
I am in the process of repairing some. While I am doing it, I cut the shifter down about 1 1/2" and I rethread the top so you can place a shift ball lower.

I am currently working on a TRD SS & a couple of stock shifters.

The process leaves you with a much tighter shifter, almost like a solid shifter, but no rattling.

Coupe

Reaction score
for some reason the trd one just holds up better, i think my68ur8trd(justin) has had his in for 3 years now with no problems:top:

The bushing appears to be the same in both. I am guessing the shorted shifter stalk on the TRD causes less force to be exerted on the bushing.

However, I did buy a busted TRD from Balboa.

Reaction score
i this happend to me just right now,i shift gear and the gear shirfter feels all loose wen i shift and i wiggles do u guys know what it is and how much it would cost

DREGGA

Reaction score
I am in the process of repairing some. While I am doing it, I cut the shifter down about 1 1/2" and I rethread the top so you can place a shift ball lower.

I am currently working on a TRD SS & a couple of stock shifters.

The process leaves you with a much tighter shifter, almost like a solid shifter, but no rattling.

The way I did mine was cut 3'' off the bottom of the outer black housing and welded a washer to the solid saft rod, filled the outer housing with polyuathane ( not all the way full ) and weld the washer to outer housing before the poly sets up, let the poly cure for a few days. It sit about even with the arm rest. I even have the URD SS on it and I think its perfect. RPM' S fall 1/2 of an rpm between shifts. I dont have any pix any more. Did this a few years back. The only one I have is the one I use for my avatar.

Coupe

Reaction score
i this happend to me just right now,i shift gear and the gear shirfter feels all loose wen i shift and i wiggles do u guys know what it is and how much it would cost

I do not know what a stock shifter costs, but a TRD SS is about $275~$300. It would be about 30 minutes labor.

It is an easy install. You could do it yourself.

I will have some rebuilt shifters next week. I have not decided on prices as of yet.

Coupe

Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of a cut down TRD SS. I removed the bushing and used a urethane epoxy to bond the shaft to the upper stalk. I also chased the threads on the top of the shifter. Nice tight shifts. No rattling.

mods037.jpg

Top Bottom