Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

shifting problems!!!!

JayHammerle

Reaction score
I just test drove the X-runner for the first time!!!! I have some concerns about the shifting.

How much differenc does the short throw shifter make?
It just would not go into gear fast enough!

What can I do about the governor, I like to pop the clutch and it will not let me!!! I LIKE to cherp 2nd gear.
Can that be fixed to give it that lil bit more?

These are make or brake deals for me. Any body got some info that will help?

DOGO X

Reaction score
THe short throw do make a difference, and yes there is a bigger brake for it!

Spyder327

Reaction score
I just test drove the X-runner for the first time!!!! I have some concerns about the shifting.

How much differenc does the short throw shifter make?
It just would not go into gear fast enough!

What can I do about the governor, I like to pop the clutch and it will not let me!!! I LIKE to cherp 2nd gear.
Can that be fixed to give it that lil bit more?

These are make or brake deals for me. Any body got some info that will help?

BUY IT.

The short shifter makes a HUGE difference, its unbelieveable.

If your referring to it grinding going into 2nd gear at high RPM's, throw some redline MT-90 gear oil in it and you'll be set.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
yeah as stated above, the s/s should be your first mod and im not real sure what your saying about the governor other than your refering to it revving higher and then you poping the clutch. My truck will chirp 2nd just fine without over revving it :hmmmm2:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chirping second is a deal breaker for you??? I think you're overlooking some of the overwhelming pluses of the X-Runner. And if that's the only concern that you have, you should buy it. :biggrin: Trust me, what you may lose in "chirping" ability (which you won't) you'll make up for with smiles as you haul azz through the twisties.

X-Rizzo

Reaction score
BUY IT.

The short shifter makes a HUGE difference, its unbelieveable.

If your referring to it grinding going into 2nd gear at high RPM's, throw some redline MT-90 gear oil in it and you'll be set.
The s.s. does make a significant difference in the smoothness and length of the throw (obviously). And if you can put some Redlilne MT-90 in there, it'll be like butta.

JayHammerle

Reaction score
Yes that is what Im looking to know. The shifting is the only thing that was left on my cons list (pros & cons) that was ganabrake the deal.
I have to be able to shift fast or not at all!!!!

What is that MT-90 gear oil do?
How much? $?

Today was my first test drive of the truck so I am trying to get an idea of how much difference the mods will make on the truck.
I had never even seen one in person b4 today. I love the style and the speed!!
Its just the getting up to speed and take off that had me concerned.
The only mods that the truck had was a K&N cool air intake and filter. Nothing els was added.

I plan on getting the S. shifter
-true cold air intake
-Full exhaust w/ headers
-a chip? If anyone know what kind of chip is best after all these mods let me know?
-Upgrade the front brakes BBS.

Anthing els I should look into doing?
Still needs to be street legal!
Thanks of the info Every one!

Last edited:

Spyder327

Reaction score
Yes that is what Im looking to know. The shifting is the only thing that was left on my cons list (pros & cons) that was ganabrake the deal.
I have to be able to shift fast or not at all!!!!

What is that MT-90 gear oil do?
How much? $?

its helps you shift without grinding, lol.

It's like $25 if you order it online from summit racing, but local places carry it also.

flyinbryan

Reaction score
the gearing in these 6 speeds is awful, theres nothing u can do about getting to the power any sooner unless u supercharge it. theres no lowend power at all with the tranny and rearend ratio set up.

XPC_XR

Reaction score
This is my 1st manual and I can chirp 2nd easily. I still dont have a SS but plan to get the URD one.

nblazing

Reaction score
I can also chirp into second easily with my x and i do recomend the ss i also have the big brake kit and it was definatley worth it

Top Bottom