Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Should I keep using 5w-30 with 104k or go thicker weight?

Reaction score
I've been using Royal Purple 5w-30 every 3 to 4 months with the bigger filter since day one. (Got my truck new)

Should I be using a different weight now?

Thanks,

justin13703

Reaction score
I would just keep using what Toyota suggests which is 5w30. It's worked for the last 104,000 miles lol

Reaction score
So I spoke with Gadget over the phone and he tells me that as long as my truck isn't consuming oil that I should stick with what I've been using.

Just spreading the word :top:

Thanks Gadget

Nick_c

Reaction score
Only thing I know that changes oil weight is heat. Most owners manuals (Honda) have charts. But I'd stick with 5-30 if its not consuming oil.

Reaction score
Nick_c,

Yeah, I recently changed the oil in my girlfriend's 2010 Civic and looked in the manual to see what weight oil they recommended to use and it gave specifications according to temperature and mileage.

That's what got me thinking about my truck.

burnboy

Reaction score
Oil weight is based on tolerances. Bearing and journals. If you increase weight you could over time starve the bearings and journals. If you decrease the weight you could wash them. I know some people will disagree but that's the theory behind it. The manufacturer designates oil viscosity due the the bearing and journal clearance

Reaction score
With the natural wear and tear that occurs during the operation of an internal combustion engine, does it not make sense that the tolerances between the areas of parts that rub against each other increase as the engine components continue to wear themselves out, thus changing the tolerances that those parts had originally been built with?

I would assume that not all areas of an internal cumbustion engine wear at the same rate, right? So would it make sense that changing the viscosity, to compensate for engine wear, could help one area by filling the gap and hurt another area, that hasn't been so worn, by starving that area of oil?

Those were two of my main thoughts of concern...

burnboy

Reaction score
5-30 is a common used oil. But the Audi dictates a 5-40. I think a vette calls for a 15-50. BMW uses I think a higher viscosity as well. But I work on audis and its an odd viscosity. But 5-30 is fine in our engines some people use 0-40 for faster flow at cold start. To each their own. I'd stick with 5-30 honestly. A heavier oil will bog you down too. It flows slower than the 30 weight. It's flow rate. That's what the viscosity numbers represent

Nick_c

Reaction score
I don't have a factory owners manual to see if it has the oil viscosity heat chart in it.

Hitman

Reaction score
I'm currently running 5w-30 mobile 1 I havnt had any problems so far I currently have 131,712 miles I've had my baby since it had 4 miles :)

burnboy

Reaction score
Also you spoke of wear. The bearings and journals ride on a film of oil. That's the purpose of oil to create a barrier between the 2 metal objects so there should be little wear. If your crankshaft were to ride with no lubrication for a split second then your bearings r toast.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know what that looks like on these engines......:ahhhhh: Damn previous engine owner. :motz:

FN5.7

Reaction score
from NW oregon using 30w amsoil. 90k. the amount put in every oil change is the amount comming out.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Also you spoke of wear. The bearings and journals ride on a film of oil. That's the purpose of oil to create a barrier between the 2 metal objects so there should be little wear. If your crankshaft were to ride with no lubrication for a split second then your bearings r toast.

I can vouch for this

Top Bottom