Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Should i sell my MX-3?

Keep the MX-3 or sell it?

• Dang son thats a nice whip!!

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Sell that and buy something worth upgrading!

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Give me BOOST!

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

easts1d3

Reaction score
I need some input on my dilemma here..

What i have is a 1992 mazda mx3 1.8l v6 gs with 123,000 km and had it appraised at $10,000.
I have invested $3,000 into paint, $2000 into a transmission rebuild, $800 on rims, $1000 on stereo equipment, and i bought the car for $2,800
I have a 2.5L v6 klze with a 10.1 and bhp of 200, the motor is completely ripped apart ready for the next stage $$$$$ i want reground cams, springs, retainers, forged pistons, rods, knife edged crank, turbo, haltech or megasquirt ecu hoping for 350hp to the wheels

The problem i'm having is that there is very little aftermarket support for this car! Making it very difficult to suspension, brakes, and pretty much everything.. Ksport makes coil overs for $1,140 and bbk for $4,000 front and back.. And the car is automatic so i need a parts car to steal the parts from to convert it to manual.

As you can see im going to spend a shit load of money and spend alot of time lol

Or i can buy something work investing into or boosting my truck

this is my car here
030.jpg

justin13703

Reaction score
Depends on how much you love the car man. A big thing that people have to realize, is that there is no such thing as "investing" money in a car. I see that word thrown around alot with cars and there is just no such thing. You will not get the money you put into a car back. You have to do it for the love of the car. So if you love the thing, keep it, finish it, drive it, and love it. If not, then get something else you would enjoy more, but whichever way you go, know that you will not see the money you put into it back. So do whatever makes you happiest. Personally I would sell it and boost your truck, cause that thing is sexy as shit lol, but its up to you.

And does that say a 1.8L V6? Good god lol

easts1d3

Reaction score
Yup!
1.8L V6 130 bhp... the good thing is that the 2.5L Literally bolts RIGHT up to factory mounts transmission and uses the same harness

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
sounds like a huge money pit and when you sell/trade it which you will. if its 1 year down the road or 5 you won't get half of what you put into it. if i was you i'd either trade in the car AND truck and go all out on something like a supra or nsx OR sell the car and put the money into your truck which is going to hold its value much better

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
that thing must be good on ga$....but if you could sell it and boost the x you can still have some change for MORE MODS :D

roy365

Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I love(d) every car I have every owned. We all have a sentimental value to our collection. That's what clouds our judgement when it comes to keeping, selling, or modding our vehicles. It's simple to me, if you really love the car and think it's worth dropping the cash into then keep it. Or you could sell it and dump the money into a V6 truck that will take a ton of money to be fast as well. LOL.

BTW...I went with option 2.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Ditch it while you can..... If there is a small market for it there is a reason...

Kinda like our trucks....... But what kinda answers are you expecting to get here..... Post on an mx3 forum and it will be a different opinion....

JiNsEiGaNaI

Reaction score
Depends how much u love it! Im impressed with what u said above, u can sell it/trade it in and still make out with $400, not alot but VERY RARE when u invest into a car and STILL make money! Well look at it this way, DO u wanna pay a arm and a leg to keep something to be UNIQUE, or do u want something else! Having something RARE is good and bad, It will grab some attention at FIRST then after its boring already! Id say modify the XR, but just like HOTTACOX said where if u went to a MX3 forum, im sure it will be different!

BlackCat

Reaction score
One thing to consider.

I have a 2008 MazdaSpeed 3, comes from the factory with 263 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque. But there is power limiting in the first two gears simply because it is, after all (like your MX-3), a FWD car. If you truly intend on getting 350hp out of that, keep in mind you'll be burying yourself in a cloud of smoke for at least the first three gears. Also, that KLZE is loosely based off of the Ford modular Duratec block, those engines when boosted have been known to have cooling issues and the MX-3 already has a very limited cooling arrangement (both the stock cooling system and the grille footprint through which to pass air through to whatever radiator / intercoolers you have).

The MX-3 was never meant to be a street rod, any more money you put into it beyond the KLZE really won't get you much in the lower gears beyond more tire smoke. I also question how well the MX-3 platform can handle anything more than then 200hp your KLZE has to offer. As with ANY car, It's fine at stock power levels but I would seriously question what to expect with NEARLY TRIPLING the power levels that the car was originally designed for (130hp). I would either dedicate yourself to enjoying the KLZE stock or sell and move into something better suited to rodding.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
I would personally go with The X. Sometimes thers a point in our lives where we gotta let go. depending on the situation. I mean really the X is an all around more useful vehicle. Thats just my 2 cents.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
It always comes down to this:

1. How fast do you want to go? If you know the answer move onto #2.

2 . How much money do you have to spend, how much work (time) do you have & want to invest?

Once you figure out the answer to these two questions you can decide if the car is worth keeping, or if there is a better vehicle out there that will fit your #1 expectations at the restrictions of #2.

Given an unlimited amount of money and all the free time in the world you can make ANYTHING fast.

For most of us unlimited resources is not a reality so you must either make a compromise to #1 (not want to go as fast) or have the willful resources for #2 (have enough money and time to do what you want with any vehicle of your choice or find another vehicle that is within your allotted fund/time budget that will go as fast as you want)

Last edited:

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
I'd keep it ! I mean what do you have to lose? You've already put a lot of money into it making it look nice you might as well enjoy the car. Plus ,later down the road you may want to boost it and make it a real sleeper ?

L3G10N

Reaction score
you will not get your money out of the car, be ready for that.

any money you put into modding the car you have to think of as lost, in fact, it may even hurt the resale value.

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
Sell it. You already have the XR for your nice, cool ride. Now sell the Mazda and build something that will murder em' both. That car and the XR have the same problem; while they may be cool and unique in comparison to many vehicles, the aftermarket support just plain blows and the price to performance ratio is the same. For what you'll pay to get that thing movin, you could have a legit street car. V8, rwd, manual trans...Nothin like it my friend. Nothing!!!!

easts1d3

Reaction score
I'm split right down the middle with my decision, I doubt I would ever get more than $4,000 if I sold it though.. Even though its appraised at $10,000

If I were to sell it though i would buy the URD MK3
I'm way past warrenty and the TRD doesn't make nearly as much power

Canadian Girl

Reaction score
Sorry Jillian..... Not attack on u.

Don't sell something u love cause its a toy. You will regret every second of it. If ur selling to pay bills then don't sell it! If u want the boost the truck will not be driven in the winter here anymore. So u need to be prepared for a wi Ted beater too. Or even a reliable car incase there are issues. There aren't many places that can help with any possible problem up here. We can figure out stuff but sometimes u need a professional shop.... Not saying u can't figure it out;)

Just remember my yellow civic was Appraised at some stupid amount. What I got I was happy with and it was no where near appraised value.

Just make sure what ever u decide its something u will be happy with.

Top Bottom