Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Single turbo or twin turbo on 1grfe?

zayed

Reaction score
I hv land cruiser 2009 and i got all the setup parts for boost is installed. Am trying to figure out a way to install twin turbo as this engine has two exhaust manifolds but it got one intake, i found an intercooler custom made 2 in and 1 out. Iam wondering if both turbos r not boosting exactly same pressure, will there be any effect? And what r the other issues i will be facing? Or shall i go for single turbo and connect both manifolds to it?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
There have been a couple other people to do a twin turbo setup. 2 in, 1 out intercooler will be the proper intercooler.

If you can do twins, it will be easier to deal with the OEM sensors. Since they will still be reading each bank individually.

STONER-X

Reaction score
I that is not "twin" I believe it is called sequential

It the small one to boost the large one..

triumphx

Reaction score
^ Correct sequential, or compound in diesel land

Doublld

Reaction score
I feel if your asking that kinda question off the bat you shouldn't be doing anything lol

zayed

Reaction score
I didn't mean the sequential turbo, i ment by twin turbo the parallel turbo, each manifold will supply separate turbo and by using 2 in 1 out intercooler, u merge both intake duct into one duct to the throttle body.
Single turbo means that one turbo is connected to one side manifold, and connect the other side manifold all the way to the turbo.
Personally i prefer parallel turbo but it seems tuning will be tough and to get exact same pressure from both turbo is a challenge.

STONER-X

Reaction score
I knew what you were talking about :)

The boost pressure is controlled by the waste gate

When doing a twin set up like you mentioned you will need two wastegates... one for each manifold when each side reached the desired boost level the wastegate will open..

zayed

Reaction score
I knew what you were talking about :)

The boost pressure is controlled by the waste gate

When doing a twin set up like you mentioned you will need two wastegates... one for each manifold when each side reached the desired boost level the wastegate will open..

Exactly bro, now if two waste gates setup will be very hard to get them exactly the same setting, one turbo will end up supplying lil bit more than the other, how that will effect on the engine? And how hard will be the tuning?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you have a turbo problem, if your vacuum/boost source is the same for both wastegates, then it will work just fine.

Doublld

Reaction score
Exactly bro, now if two waste gates setup will be very hard to get them exactly the same setting, one turbo will end up supplying lil bit more than the other, how that will effect on the engine? And how hard will be the tuning?

Just let someone who knows what they are doing do it for you. Obviously you don't understand exactly how it works which is fine e but sit down with someone who can build it for you and let them tell you

zayed

Reaction score
Just let someone who knows what they are doing do it for you. Obviously you don't understand exactly how it works which is fine e but sit down with someone who can build it for you and let them tell you

Thats why am here because where am from its hard to find someone who understands and can tell me something useful, all pervious experience i know wit similar engine is single turbo but they fail eventually, now as this engine has two manifold isnt it better to have twin parallel turbo?
If someone can help me wit this so i can decide wat to go for. I will be updating u as i go thru.

STONER-X

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it is better.. most of the turbo people here are running one, not twins..

It about having someone who knows what they are doing when designing the kit.. unless you have the money to buy two of everything.. A single will be plenty

Doublld

Reaction score
Thats why am here because where am from its hard to find someone who understands and can tell me something useful, all pervious experience i know wit similar engine is single turbo but they fail eventually, now as this engine has two manifold isnt it better to have twin parallel turbo?
If someone can help me wit this so i can decide wat to go for. I will be updating u as i go thru.

Send it to my shop I'll do the whole build for you iapracing.com

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
There are plenty of people who send their vehicles across the pond, to have them built. Nothing new there. Especially from Saudi Arabia and UAE.

There are two twin turbo XR's that I know of. One has a built engine and makes a little over 600 whp.

Top Bottom