Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

So I wanna add a steering wheel to my truck...

SooRunner

Reaction score
So I have a momo steering wheel that I used in my turbo miata and now I wanna put it on my truck.

I know I will have to buy a momo hub and I will lose my steering wheel stereo control but it is a trade off. I have a quick release hub that goes with my momo. And no it is no cheap china hub. I paid top dollars for this italian quick release hub.

I wanna do this because I think I dumped way too much money and can't afford it to be stolen again like my previous car.

Has anyone put aftermarket steering wheel in their truck? If so how did you get rid of the air bag light? Post up pics if possible.

Thankerz!

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Might want to talk to Shook:

trdshk9.jpg

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=34345

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
The XR already had an immobilizer system, you don't need the steering wheel removed to prevent thieft. It won't start. If a pro wants it they'll tow it.

I fail to see the need to remove the airbag and increase your chances of injury incase you get in a front end accident. Just my 2 cents.

I've wanted to try the steering wheel from the Solara SE, 3 spoke with leather and an airbag.

BlackCat

Reaction score
The XR already had an immobilizer system, you don't need the steering wheel removed to prevent thieft. It won't start. If a pro wants it they'll tow it.

I fail to see the need to remove the airbag and increase your chances of injury incase you get in a front end accident. Just my 2 cents.

^^ ditto ^^

If you're main concern is theft-prevention, get a good alarm and a vehicle tracking system like LoJack.

You might want to talk to your insurance agent as well about what swapping your wheel might do to your claims process if you were to have one. Insurance companies have been known to get antsy about payouts on injury claims involving vehicles on which the OEM safety systems (airbags, etc) were tampered or defeated.

Amarillo X

Reaction score
How much have you dumped into it? Sorry bro but if someone wants it bad enough a steering wheels not gonna stop them. Where u live I would imagine there are a shitton higher end cars with a shitton more money "dumped" into them that thieves would choose over an xrunner...

SooRunner

Reaction score
I was thinking about the lojack also. But I love the feel of the smaller steering wheel turning ratio.

I dumped about maybe 10K into the truck and still counting? All that money I could of bought another motorcycle. LOL!!

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
well ben i think momos are sweet so.... id say do it man... talk to the ins company first but if they give the thumbs up go for it.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
well ben i think momos are sweet so.... id say do it man... talk to the ins company first but if they give the thumbs up go for it.
No insurance agent with any sense will say its ok. Its a DOT violation to disasble safety equipment on a street driven vehicle. Cars/trucks are certified and crash tested to be sold in America. Same with emissions aka DTLT headers that remove the cats. You do it at your own risk.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
No insurance agent with any sense will say its ok. Its a DOT violation to disasble safety equipment on a street driven vehicle. Cars/trucks are certified and crash tested to be sold in America. Same with emissions aka DTLT headers that remove the cats. You do it at your own risk.

Sorry bud but I have to agree. I think it's a bad idea safety-wise. And I certainly agree that no insurance company will touch that truck after you remove an airbag. I just I think there are much better ways to secure your vehicle.

SooRunner

Reaction score
I'm not sure how everyone's insurance is but my insurance is pretty good. They don't really hassle me much. When my civic got stolen, I showed them pictures and receipts and bam they paid out in full something like 12K.

My whole family is with this insurance and that is like 9+ cars with them.

I agree, you can get a ticket for modified steering wheel, but when was the last time an officer gave you a ticket for modified steering wheel? If your truck ain't illegal it ain't fast!

It's one of those situations, why is it illegal to lower a vehicle but not illegal to lift a vehicle?

Last edited:

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
It'll make a differance after you get into a front end accident and need the insurance to pay your medical bills along with the vehicle repairs. If they discover safety equipment disconnected or removed etc etc etc. 12k claim isn't much compared to a hospital stay. Insurance ajusters are weasels looking for a way to save money.

shook

Reaction score
I say go for it if you like the look and feel, but don't do it just for the sense of security. My TRD steering wheel has the airbag intact, but I didn't want to mess with the wiring with no way of testing it,I decided to just bypass it. The way I bypassed the light was to take the gauge apart,remove the faceplate and used a little piece of electrical tape to cover up the icon from the back side of the faceplate. Works great and I did it this way to avoid doing anything permanent, it was also easy to do and I can easily go back to stock if I ever needed or wanted to.

Last edited:

SooRunner

Reaction score
I agree with shook. I might do it when I have time. I've heard people done this mod but I think they put some type of resistor to trick computer that the airbag is intact. But I don't know what kind of resistor. I will post up pics if I do this mod.

Nice steering wheel by the way shook! If yours has an airbag why couldn't you engage it?

shook

Reaction score
I agree with shook. I might do it when I have time. I've heard people done this mod but I think they put some type of resistor to trick computer that the airbag is intact. But I don't know what kind of resistor. I will post up pics if I do this mod.

Nice steering wheel by the way shook! If yours has an airbag why couldn't you engage it?

I didn't want to mess with the wiring, the new Toyota's have dual stage airbags and the airbag in the TRD wheel is a single stage, in other words, 4 wires compared to 2 wires on the airbag in the wheel. I'm sure if you were to wire up both or either of the stages to the single stage airbag, it would probably work, but I'm not going to take the chance without a way to test it. If I ever sell the truck and buy another Toyota with the old airbag system, then I'd probably wire it up. One of my friend has the same wheel in his 04 Tacoma with the airbag hooked up and it seems to work, no airbag light on. You could take the time to find the right resistor value to jump the wires to avoid the light but it's a lot easier to do it my way, it's up to you, go for it ! I love the look and feel of mine :top:

Oh and by the way, the other reason why I didn't wire up the airbag was because I had to remove the clockspring. The TRD wheel hub was a little larger than the stock hub, so, I wouldn't have been able to wire it up even If I could without modifying the clockspring or the hub on the TRD wheel.

Last edited:

Coupe

Reaction score
I would like to give you a couple of what ifs.....

What if, your brother (sister, g/f, whomever) drove your truck, got into a wreck and got hurt.

You would feel bad and the insurance may not cover it. I am not talking about a little fender bender. I am talking about major head on collision.

What if, you were having the truck worked on, someone test drives it and get into a wreck (not their fault). The mechanic may sue you for not informing him on no air bag.

It may sound a little chicken sh**t, but this happens and people look for someone to blame.

It might be you.

Top Bottom