Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Something odd and different

bigdreams

Reaction score
So for those that have been on here a while and know me a little, I always have odd ideas. But anyway, I've seen plenty of videos of cars modded in that crazy Bosozoku style. I've considered doing an external, bumper-mounted oil cooler like those Boso cars have. What kind of performance gains would there be by doing this? Maybe hook it up to the transmission fluid?

justin13703

Reaction score
That's definitely an odd idea but its your truck man lol. Don't expect any performance gains though

bigdreams

Reaction score
I kinda figured there weren't really any performance gains. I'm mostly curious as to the point of having an oil cooler mounted to the outside of a front bumper

justin13703

Reaction score
I kinda figured there weren't really any performance gains. I'm mostly curious as to the point of having an oil cooler mounted to the outside of a front bumper

No point really. People think it looks cool I guess. I have no clue why lol

bigdreams

Reaction score
On those old school cars like a Datsun Z or Skyline, it looks a little more aggressive. Kinda cool with those hoses running through the grill. But if there's no performance gain from it, no point in doing it. Although a photoshop would be interesting to see what it would look like on an X

justin13703

Reaction score
On those old school cars like a Datsun Z or Skyline, it looks a little more aggressive. Kinda cool with those hoses running through the grill. But if there's no performance gain from it, no point in doing it. Although a photoshop would be interesting to see what it would look like on an X

Yeah some cars it might look ok on. But like you said it's gotta be old Datsuns or something. It'll look waaay out of place on an x runner I would think lol. Put it in the photoshop section, somebody will hook you up

Outburst

Reaction score
i can try photochopping it. i just need your x and the cooler example. really.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Chances are, you drive your truck normal most of the time. A external oil cooler can prevent oil from reaching operating temperature and actually cause damage to your engine over time.

The right way to do it would we be a block off plate for it, to allow normal operating tempature, then just remove the plate when you get to the track for better cooling.

I love bozo stlye cars, but the majority of the crap they do has absolutly no performance gain, or even in fact ruins performance. I know, imagine that, 195's on a 10" rim aren't goot for handling.....lol

rennurx

Reaction score
Don't they have oil coolers that work off of temp? Once it gets too hot it opens and allows oil to the cooler?

justin13703

Reaction score
Actually, looking at a lot of those cars, I would imagine it not cooling much if at all. A lot of them are literally mounted right in front of the bumper. I can't imagine air really flowing through them, if they're essentially mounted in front of a wall. If they were in front of some kind of opening that allows air to flow through, then yeah they might cool the fluid in them. But being right in front of a wall will basically get them no air flow

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Don't they have oil coolers that work off of temp? Once it gets too hot it opens and allows oil to the cooler?

Yah those do exist. The point I was trying to construe is that you dont need it for normal use. And unless you track it and actually need the added cooling.

Top Bottom