Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sound deadening

exit8

Reaction score
Has anyone deadened their truck? Looking to start but never done this before. Mainly want to stop some of the rattling that I can hear mostly the roof. but not to sure how to take off the head liner??? Any info or advise is appreciated.

HiTek21

Reaction score
Last edited:

exit8

Reaction score
Been looking at secondskinaudio.com for awhile heard some good stuff about it but havent decided on anything yet. btw how'd you get the headliner off to do the roof?

HiTek21

Reaction score
It's a lot of work but if you've got all the interior out already its not too bad. Remove the front/rear seats, rear seat back rest, the A and C pillar panels, the visors w/ snap hooks, dome light, upper console, the coat hooks, it held in by a few tabs if i remember correctly. carefully pull it down and it comes out. Best to have a second person helping you.

Once you take it off you'll notice theres pretty much nothing up there just a thin sheet metal on the roof and some support braces.

Second skin is suppose to be good but for the money you can't beat Raammat i think your mostly paying for the name and a slightly thicker amount of butyl. It's like Dynamat Xtreme (i have some dynamat xtreme in mine) it's a little thicker and a lot harder to work with.

exit8

Reaction score
Ya the cost was a big downside to second skin. Now really considering raamat. So with raamat is it just peel and stick or no? Is it simple to use? did you use bxt or bxt ll ? Thanks man

HiTek21

Reaction score
Yep peel and stick. I would clean the surface off with some denatured alcohol or something to get any dirt, oil, or grease off. They didn't have BXT II when I was installing it, I'm not sure what the difference is. Call them up when you get a chance and see what the difference is. I'm kind of curious to know what the difference is.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
I'd just like to re-emphasize that "It's a lot of work" statement lol. The raamat is good stuff. Very easy to work with, especially now because it's kinda cool out. It gets pretty sticky and potentially messy in the summer though if you aren't careful, but cleans up nicely with adhesive & tar remover.

FYI, I got a small wooden roller from ACE Hardware to spare my hands the pain :biggrin:

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll third the "it's a lot of work" statement. It's definitely not something you're going to do in a couple of hours. Take your time. Cut small sheets. Take care when you're near the mounting holes for the door panels. Don't want to cover them up or not cut a big enough hole for them or the door panels won't fit right. I didn't have a problem but could see someone making that mistake pretty easily. I found the biggest rattle to be coming from under the storage bins. There is a VERY flimsy piece of sheet metal that vibrates against the cab floor. I put the raamat between that sheet and the cab and it make a night and day difference. Good luck. Book at least a weekend to do doors and rear wall. And probably at least another to do the floor and roof. I did just the doors, rear wall, and under the storage bins/seats in 1 weekend by myself.

lenie03

Reaction score
i agree with what everyone else has stated, but it is so so so worth the work.

Top Bottom