Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

spark plugs

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
Stay with Denso or NGK very good plugs, believe it or not I was working on a V-8 Tundra which come with Denso's one one head and NGK on the other ( which is very common ) he's got a misfire code so I pulled a plug and they were still the factory plugs ( you can tell because the factory plugs have a marking on the end of it ) these plugs had 140K miles on them and they are 30K mile plugs, if that don't tell you anything nothing does.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
I bought the regular Denso's from Toyota. they are $6.00 ea, and are nice.
I didnt have 2 different types of plugs, I had NGK in both sides.

I just called my dealer and they quoted me $3.82 a piece, they said they were Denso's... I plan on going and picking them up after work, does this sound right :hmmmm2:

Also, are they already pre gapped... if not what do i need to gap them to?

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys.... j/k

I went ahead and did it, i read the manual for the gap sizes (hate reading that thing)

for future reference:

Spark Plug Gap: .043 in. or 1.1 mm

161R

i've had some bosch +4's and started to get a misfire, turns out it had a big crack on the white part by the tip. now, i know what my old engine performance instructor was talking about regarding problems with the bosch +4s. FYI.

JayJay

Reaction score
Does anyone have the part number to a good aftermarket spark plug?

BlackCat

Reaction score
I don't know what the X's stock plugs are rated for in terms of life (mileage), but some factory plugs (Honda and GM) are rated for 105,000miles. The Denso and NGK iridium performance plugs are rated for 30,000miles, though they do have "long life" versions of their iridium plugs that can go for upto 100,000miles (which had fatter cores which last longer but don't detonate as densely).

To find a Denso plug, check out http://densoiridium.com/find_part.php

Their long life plugs for the X are "SK20HR11", the performance iridium are "IKH20". Both require gaps of 0.044"

I assume NGK's website has a similar part selector feature.

Last edited:

DallasCowboys

Banned
Reaction score
I went with denso from toyota. Dont be surprised when you replace them - one side was ngk other was denso. When I talked to the toyota rep about ti he said the heads are put together and pre loaded with the plugs before they are bolted to the block. Seems like they could label them somehow.

Its no biggie , just thought I would give you a heads up.

Dont forget to use anti seize on your new plugs.;)
Maybe your truck was re-furbished. :laugh::laugh:

Dallas

Reaction score
I would put anything except bosch platinum, it's all a marketing gimmic. I have had excellent results with NGK. go to the drag races and check out the pro teams, every one of them use NGK!

Dallas

Reaction score
Dont forget to use anti seize on your new plugs.;)[/quote]
if your going to use anti seize make sur its the copper stuff, the silver causes grounding problems resulting in misfire.

05X-Runner

Reaction score
11.$ per plug. No way..it wont make that much of a difference.......Will it?

They make a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have them in all my vehicles, from my 275HP Hayabusa to my S/C X-Runner.

PTATSOC

Reaction score
Go to Sparkplugs.com they list copper, platinum and Iridium ect recommended is Iridium, They carry Champion, NKG Bosch and Denso prices range from $3+ to $11 depending on what you are looking for. Stay away from the Pulstar plugs not worth the expense.
Someone asked about Anti Seize, I use copper based put a light coat on the threads, keep it off the electrodes, makes plugs much easier to pull after 50-70k miles so you reduce the chance of stripping out the head. Not like the old steel heads from old and we replaced the copper plugs every 5-10 k miles.

Top Bottom