Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS vs SoS - So confused....

RMCO

Reaction score
I think I've read just about every post asking for suggestions on which drop to purchase, pros and cons of each, and they usually all end with the same conclusion... go DJM, lol! I'm looking for an apples to apples type discussion for a front drop only. Blocks are blocks out back (We can talk about the SS composite leafs later ;)).

SS Drop consists of higher rate drop springs. SoS is new spring perches using stock springs. From what I gather SS has a firmer ride and is less prone to bottoming out due to the higher spring rate, and the SoS feels stock but can bottom out due to the reduced travel.

Which of the two allows for more camber adjustment/correction? Literally, I think I've seen every possible answer for this :laugh:. Concern being that I plan on running a staggered setup and a 9.5" wide wheel up front and don't want to be buying tires as often as I hit up Taco Bell for my fourth meal.

How much of a drop is it really? SS is advertised as 1.75" and SoS as 1.5". I've read that each is anywhere between 1.5"-2".

Bump Steer... I've read that either kit can induce unwanted bump steer, mainly as a function of too much negative camber. Also, I've read that the stiffer the springs, the more this is an issue. Not sure how much of any of all this is true, but something I haven't really seen anything definitive on.

How do each pair up with a set of SS Composite Leafs w/QA1's in back?

I'm positive either is a solid choice, I'm just stuck at work reading right now and was curious is all.

dbredleader

Reaction score
Front drop

I would like to see some "veterans" opinions on this subject as well... I am leaning toward the SOS kit, but that is because my understanding of it is that it is less likely to cause camber issues. I would also like the easily reversible aspect, if the cons out weigh the pros once the kit is on my truck.

darthyota

Reaction score
id go with the sittin sic kit if i were you guys

CBRBob

Reaction score
I run 9.5s all around with 285s. With a wide setup like that, you need to have almost zero deg camber to avoid wearing the tires.

I have the SOS kit and I moved the adjusters to full before I brought it in. I was able to get +.1 on both sides. Then they set it. From what I hear with a true 2" drop (SS etc), you won't get it better than about -.7 deg. That is in stock specs but it still wears the tires when they are that wide.

The bumpsteer comes from the angle of the tie rods being so far away from level. You can't raise the steering rack more than 1/4in without something hitting so that won't solve it and there are no kits to fix that issue yet.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the SOS because I've never ridden in a truck with that kit but I have the SS kit which is a 1.75" drop not a 2". The kit is designed to be able to get within stock alignment specs. I can tell you I get little to no bump steer unless there is a pronounced rut in the road. I have zero complaints with my kit and prefer the full length of travel of the SS kit. I'd give you my alignment specs but my camber bolts are frozen so they couldn't do a complete alignment, but I can tell you I haven't had any crazy tire wear problems.

As for the composites with QA1s, they're an awesome combination. Again not a complaint. Sittin Sic makes a great product. The original (slightly thinner) springs did crack on occasion, but I haven't had a problem with the newer (slightly thicker) springs. I love them.

Good luck whichever way you go.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I had the SoS spring perches on my truck for awhile and was not able to get the alignment back to factory specs. After removing the kit later I came to find out some douche had messed up the alignment eccentrics which may have been the reason it couldn't get back to spec. :thumpdown:

dbredleader

Reaction score
Hmmmm

I guess more research will be required. Having alignment within specs is mandatory for me, as well as normal tire wear. Soft compound tires wear quickly enough, especially with the very curvy commute my truck makes six days a week. I will take a closer look at the SS kits.:dontknow:

CBRBob

Reaction score
What you need to realize is that both the SOS and SS kits are doing something with the spring area to lower the truck. The SS is a shorter spring(there are higher rate springs available) The SOS kit replaces the lower perch with one that is lower so it seems like there is a shorter spring. Essentially 2 ways to do the same job. Actually the SS kit would be easier to install as the spring comes off to put the SOS perches in.

Mind you many cannot get the alignment near ZERO camber when beyond 1.5" drop. Although many approach it or are in 'factory specs'. The factory specs allow -1deg or so in the alignment window.

Last edited:

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
What you need to realize is that both the SOS and SS kits are doing something with the spring area to lower the truck. The Sittin Sic is a shorter spring(there are higher rate springs available) The SOS kit replaces the lower perch with one that is lower so it seems like there is a shorter spring. Essentially 2 ways to do the same job. Actually the SS kit would be easier to install as the spring comes off to put the SOS perches in.

Quoted to fix a typo :top:

Mind you many cannot get the alignment near ZERO camber when beyond 1.5" drop. Although many approach it or are in 'factory specs'. The factory specs allow -1deg or so in the alignment window.

This is true and also you can not get into "factory specs" once you exceed a 1.75" drop

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
You won't be disappointed with either kit. I have the Sittin Sic kit and no complaints. There are some people who have had problems with both kits and some who have had none. Nature of the beast. Your alignment should not be an issue but sometimes it is the person doing the alignment also. I prefer the SS because of the higher spring rate. The new ones that Shane came out with are excellent.

CBRBob

Reaction score
FWIW I am on the list to get the stock height, high rate coils he is having made.

Thx for the correction NHX

Top Bottom