Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Staged my truck about a week ago....???

x8o8runner2012

Reaction score
Staged my truck about a week ago for the first time in my 2012 x runner......anyone know why the truck would automatically cut the fuel or drop rpms????

Im sure its not a driver area, ive done this many times before on older toyota's.....so i put the truck in 1st gear at a complete stop, turned off "tcs"......poped clutch at about 4k rpms, both tires were moving but it only lasted about 20 seconds than the truck went back down to idle without me letting off the gas pedal. I didnt redline or anything, or hold it at redline......any insight would be well appreciated so i can figure things out.....

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Were you stepping on the brakes at the same time as the gas? :dontknow:

hiflyer

Reaction score
Toyota 'feature' since that stupid Prius lawsuit?

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
All 2010+ Toyota's have the Brake Override systems.

SooRunner

Reaction score
is there any type of write-up or anything to bypass that override.....

I don't think so...they brain wash your ecu....

Toyota keeps sending me these notice and i keep trashing them...LOL! I don't want the update..I drive with both feet.

x8o8runner2012

Reaction score

Toyota keeps sending me these notice and i keep trashing them...LOL! I don't want the update..I drive with both feet.

damn well if thats the case im going to look into reflashing my ecu or something because that f'ing sucks

RossK35

Reaction score
There's no way for you to get rid of the brake override system. For the system to not be activated the brake pedal has to be pushed before the gas pedal is pressed. If you dump the clutch then press the brake the override system will kick in. This article explains it also. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/toyotas-brake-override-explained/

When you turned off all the traction control crap did you hold the buttons for at least 3 or more seconds? Doing that disables the system completely otherwise if you just press and release its still semi-activated.

nick_gz1

Reaction score
^^^ never knew this either. Good piece of info!

sinister07

Reaction score
Yeah I keep getting the notices to get my recall done and I avoid it like the plague. I remember seeing a bunch of bobbed gas pedals so that's why I haven't had it done, but if this is another system that thinks its smarter than me...add one more reason not to get this dumb recall taken care of. Good luck with figuring out an override man.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
damn well if thats the case im going to look into reflashing my ecu or something because that f'ing sucks

Unfortunately that's not really an option either. Toyota has the ECU locked down pretty tight. There is no way to flash back to older maps. Been an issue for the TRD guys wanting to pull the blowers and go back to stock. Swapping ECUs is another option that's no longer available. If you need a different ECU you basically are forced to buy a brand new, unflashed unit, and get it flashed for your specific vehicle. :rolleyez:

x8o8runner2012

Reaction score
there's no way for you to get rid of the brake override system. For the system to not be activated the brake pedal has to be pushed before the gas pedal is pressed. If you dump the clutch then press the brake the override system will kick in. This article explains it also. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/toyotas-brake-override-explained/

when you turned off all the traction control crap did you hold the buttons for at least 3 or more seconds? Doing that disables the system completely otherwise if you just press and release its still semi-activated.

sounds like alot of good info......thanks for the tips, will have to give it a shot.....

unfortunately that's not really an option either. Toyota has the ecu locked down pretty tight. There is no way to flash back to older maps. Been an issue for the trd guys wanting to pull the blowers and go back to stock. Swapping ecus is another option that's no longer available. If you need a different ecu you basically are forced to buy a brand new, unflashed unit, and get it flashed for your specific vehicle. :rolleyez:

that sucks.....oh well

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
All 2010+ Toyota's have the Brake Override systems.

It is the same if you have the TRD reflash or had the brake recall done to an 05+ truck.

As for getting rid of the system, I believe Kevin (SDXrunner619) bypassed it.

STONER-X

Reaction score
It is the same if you have the TRD reflash or had the brake recall done to an 05+ truck.

^^^
if you are trying to do this at the track and not on the street.. just pull the brake light fuse.. the system use the brake light switch to tell it to shut off... pulling the fuse will make a incomplete circuit aka making the system think the brake is not pushed in so it can not tell when the brakes are on...

also you can rewire your brake light switch to completely bypass that system

redarkx

Reaction score
Sproulesxrunner said:

I think your right. He had a switch if I remember correctly?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I think your right. He had a switch if I remember correctly?

I haven't confirmed it on a 09+up truck yet as the ECUs are diffrent. Yes, I bypassed the gas pedal recall. Takes about 30 second....lol all you do is cut one wire.

The ecu uses two seperate wires from your brake pedal switch, other then those used for brake light control. Now, my trick wont work with an automatic truck, according to gadget. Anywho, if you cut one, it will set a code, but wont turn on the mil.

Since you are under warranty, I'd recommend putting in a switch. Fyi op, doing a burn out on the strip wont help, as your truck is open diff and will only light up the right rear tire.....:thumbdown:

If you still want me walk you through the bypass, pm me and we can work It out there.

X-roller

Reaction score
is there any type of write-up or anything to bypass that override.....

Yes. Get in contact with Sdxrunner.

There's no way for you to get rid of the brake override system. For the system to not be activated the brake pedal has to be pushed before the gas pedal is pressed. If you dump the clutch then press the brake the override system will kick in. This article explains it also. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/toyotas-brake-override-explained/

When you turned off all the traction control crap did you hold the buttons for at least 3 or more seconds? Doing that disables the system completely otherwise if you just press and release its still semi-activated.

False.... It can be bypassed.

Top Bottom