Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steering rack leaking, anyone else?

Xtacy

Reaction score
Mine been leaking for over 6 months but only a couple drops here and there, nothing too serious. Turning from right to left doesn't have the best turning radius. With that said I'm probably gonna replace them soon. Dealer wants 1000$ for a brand new one, no reman ones. Was most likely going thru rockauto and buy the A-1 cardone or AC delco brand. Has anyone replaced there's with one of these? Did you buy new outer tie rods also?

Edgeman

Reaction score
Looked at new OEM Toyota racks online, and found one listed for $703.19 at Olathe Toyota. I'm sure you can find several other Toyota dealers with similar prices online. MSRP is $937.59, so it sounds like your dealer is quoting full book price.

But another thing I saw that might help your wallet was a Steering Gear Seal Kit (Rack Kit) for $101.22. They also list another seal kit (Control Valve POWER) for $50.21.

Swapping seals would be significantly cheaper than replacing the entire rack, but I would check to see exactly where it's leaking before buying anything.

Coupe

Reaction score
Lucas makes a stop leak product.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10008-Power-Steering-Stop/dp/B000ARPVNO[/ame]

If it is just a drip, this might work.

I would give it a shot, before I spent $$$$.

Xtacy

Reaction score
I would prefer to swap out the whole thing, thanks. The boot is torn also. Nobody would go thru the A-1 cardone or AC delco brand?

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Have you tried any local junk yards? Might find one thats in really good shape for way cheaper than you can find anywhere else.

Top Bottom