Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Stinky AC

JBoogie

Reaction score
My truck has basically been sitting except for one day a week for the last 3 months. Whenever i turn on my AC i get a funky smell from it. To me it smells like cat piss but not as strong. I definitly know its not cat piss but i know i want it gone.. Any suggestion on what i can do to get rid of this smell?

Thanks.

J.

SickRedXRnr

"OK, Good Talk"
Reaction score
yea dude change your cabin filter.... pop open the glove box, take it off, and there is a clip inside there... lower the clip and inside id your filter.... gets bad after a while... if its not that then it is because you leave your AC on when you turn off the car, it builds mold inside from the mosture, then smells next time you turn it on. best way to get rid of that is turn on your fans, but not the ac and let it dry out... ok good talk

TheArkansas"X"

Reaction score
yea man that will work and if you dont use the recirculation and just let the fresh air in it will help dry te mold out

yea dude change your cabin filter.... pop open the glove box, take it off, and there is a clip inside there... lower the clip and inside id your filter.... gets bad after a while... if its not that then it is because you leave your AC on when you turn off the car, it builds mold inside from the mosture, then smells next time you turn it on. best way to get rid of that is turn on your fans, but not the ac and let it dry out... ok good talk

until the small is gone

After how many miles should you be doing this?

Last edited:

preXrunner

Reaction score
i had that same problem... i got me a couple air fresheners and started turning off the A/C when i turned the truck off.. went away. might need to check the cabin filter.

JBoogie

Reaction score
I just changed the cabin filter about a month ago. But will pull it out and make sure it doesnt have any mold or anything on it.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
I change my cabin filter 1 a month...mostly cause I live in the middle of a sandbox (dessert...Las Vegas). I hate stinky air...+ i have an ionic breeze in the car from sharper image. works wonders and helps out with any odor...:biggrin: too bad Sharper Image closed down....:thumpdown:

xrspeedway

Reaction score
the cabin filter should be changed i think every 40,000 miles

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
you can change it every 40K but it comes down to personal preference. The only reason why I change mine every month is cause its FREE...:biggrin:

can't go wrong with free not saying there's anything wrong with me

the cabin filter should be changed i think every 40,000 miles

Xer0 SiN

Reaction score
i checked mine...and shoot mine is FILTHY...and i have 9k miles...how much those cabin filters go for??

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
i believe they are $40-45...not bad don't quote me on them. haven't paid for a cabin air filter for a year and half...

i checked mine...and shoot mine is FILTHY...and i have 9k miles...how much those cabin filters go for??

rich017

Reaction score
i believe they are $40-45...not bad don't quote me on them. haven't paid for a cabin air filter for a year and half...

you can find them online for MUCH cheaper. Saved $60 on my moms car getting it online.

As far as the smell goes, turn on the fan with no A/C and let it blow hard. At the same time, spray Lysol into your HVAC intake on the driver side and that will also kill the bacteria. Then let it blow more to get the smell of Lysol out

Xer0 SiN

Reaction score
whew...nioce....7 bucks is way cheaper than 40 lol...ill probably pick up 5 lol...

x20Runner05

Reaction score
When you change that filter can spray some air freshner on there or some colgne just dont soak it too much. I heard of people keepin dryer sheets under the seats.

rich017

Reaction score
spray lysol into the H-Vac under your wipers with just air on. Kills all the bacteria making your AC smell

Top Bottom