Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Stock clutch needed near Willow Spring International Reaceway (Lancaster, CA.) ASAP!!

Grumpy

Reaction score
Like the title say, if anyone upgraded and have stock clutch disc & pressure plate laying around not being use.....time to bring that out of retirement. Just need it to work so SDXRunner619 can make it home to San Diego. Truck is at WSIR at the moment.

Please contact Kevin @ (619)206-4433

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
uh oh... Did he blow his up, or just got it nice and toasty.
Hopefully he can get another one in there and get back on the road.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
It blew up. I have springs from the clutch sitting next to me... fawk...I knew this was gonna happen eventually, I should have followed my gut and replaced that piece of Shit cc when I pulled my motor in October, with a act or spec from nst....dammit...****er didn't even start slipping, just exploded in the middle of a run.

BTW, anyone who drives a stock clutch out to me, will be compinsated for gas and time. I really screwed this time...Please and thanks.

You don't even want To know the cost of a tow home... :/

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone with a tow hitch can be your plan B. They could at least do like we did for Micpun at Texfest.

holddeez08RR

Reaction score
Shit man, wish I could be of some assistance. I know how it is to have a clutch pop and leave you stranded. I have gone through 3

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
2012-03-24152929.jpg

2012-03-24153354.jpg

Pressure plate and flywheel look the same...lack of lighting makes pic of flywheel impossible.....worn, but no heat spots or signs of abuse...

When I drifted my truck, I typically never clutch kicked, and resorted To e-brake initiating....less hard on the clutch/tranny...low and behold, I do two runs back to back, where i used clutch kicking to initiate...and the disk explodes

I finnaly understand why everyone would either laugh or cringe when they heard I was running a comp clutch.

What really astonishes me is how thin the metal is, where all the load and torque are actually absorbed...the whole assy is very flimsy and thin....

Grumpy tracked down a exeddy stock replacement clutch, and is en-route with it to save my stranded ass....

Ill say it once, and ill say it again. The xru community support, shouldn't even be called support...I now see why we are called a family. :)

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Good to hear help is on the way.
Hopefully a different clutch will survive better than that one did. But with the lack of a pilot bearing supporting the input shaft the results may be the same. Shitty design FTL :thumbdown:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Destruction looks similar to that of the '08 plus OEM clutches. Flywheel looks just fine though. Quite possibly you could just upgrade the disk itself, and save the money from not replacing the pressure plate as well.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
There are wear marks on the pp from the tob...I wouldn't reuse it... blackxr, it plays a part...but there is no excuse for how thin the clutch plate is. Everyone at the track were amazed at how thin it is...you know, guys who actually race and what not...

Gonna talk to the guys at NST, and see what they have in their box of goodies....

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Glad to hear y'all got a replacement coming. I have a stocker sitting in my garage.

X-roller

Reaction score
lol... get in contact with CC... :top: they sure helped me out a lot and is the reason why I went with them again... I guess we will see how well this one holds... glad to hear you got a hold of a clutch man. I was going to ship you mine otherwise but it wouldn't matter anyways... seems like you need it sooner than that.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
^ above mentioned clutch is in....stock clutch feels strange...easy to use...normal...lol

My buddies went and snuck onto streets of willow, right as I fired my truck up.to head back to "camp"...I had. 0.1 miles on it...and followed them out there...yup broke the clutch in on a race track, following grumpy....lol...it works, that's for sure.

I had tl my $75 worth some How.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That wad a heck of a come through, on behalf of at least Grumpy.

I had forgotten that you used to have that same CC clutch while you were MK1, and doing your racing as well. I dont know if you used to clutch kick it back then, but if you did, then i would say that it lasted pretty well, at least. Still, too bad it wasnt the pads first instead. That way you would have known it was going out.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
That wad a heck of a come through, on behalf of at least Grumpy.

I had forgotten that you used to have that same CC clutch while you were MK1, and doing your racing as well. I dont know if you used to clutch kick it back then, but if you did, then i would say that it lasted pretty well, at least. Still, too bad it wasnt the pads first instead. That way you would have known it was going out.

back when i was mrk1, i still used my hydro. I agree though, if it would have just started slipping...i would have replaced it...:rolleyez:

never ran slicks when i drag raced, an only did 4 or 5 autocorsses...which doesn't involve any clutch kicking

did 1.5 gymkhanas, as during the second one, my motor ate a screw... I initiated all the drifts, using the hydro. When i say i babied this clutch, i mean it...for a drift truck, i rarely clutch kicked it...:thumbdown:

thanks to grumpy though, i am writing this off my computer at home...:top: last 1.5 miles of journey... my exhaust broke off, as my friend with the welder doesn't know how to weld a 'slip style' resonator...whn the resontator failed, it dragged, then caught on the ground and, it broke the stacks mount, clean off...

now im open y-pipe...sweet...:argh:

NUPEPRIME

Reaction score
Well glad you made it back to tha lab. Know you'll be working it out soon/
Let tha Legend that is GRUMPY grow... thanks

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Probably going to go solid hub for replacement...no chance of spring related failures...

Grumpy and i noticed a slight issue back in Sept, when he drove down and helped me pull my motor, on the clutch... related to the inherit design flaws of a sprung clutch, when used for drifting.

Ill get it worked out, and probably do the new race clutch install, using the lifts @ school... Probably pull the trigger on a new race clutch, come Monday.

idk if it possible to win ROTM twice...but i nominate Grumpy!!!!! seriously saved me $$$$ in bring me that clutch... plus, his truck doesn't match the picture on the XRU banner anymore...:crinklehair:

trd_sport

Reaction score
yes there are a few people that contribute much more than they have to to this forum/group and Grumpy is one of them. Props to you sir!

Top Bottom