Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stock tire blow out!

05bluerunner

Reaction score
Blowout! Left home to take a trip to Wichita, about 90 miles south. Didn't even get 10 miles down the road and this happens, no other damage than the tire and a little scuff around the lip of the outside of the rim. I was lucky. Pictures are from a camera phone.

Image001.jpg

Image002.jpg

BlackCat

Reaction score
Looks to me that this tire had been run extensively at too low a pressure. The near full circumferential sidewall tear is an indication.

05bluerunner

Reaction score
Must have caught something in the tire on the way out of town. Checked presure 4 hours before we left. Tire going low at 75mph could have done it.

BlackCat

Reaction score
Perhaps... when you take it into the tire dealer, have them check the rim. If the tire was punctured and started to go flat and you continued to drive on it (which is quite plausible, I did it and had no idea I had a flat until I stopped at a friend's place and he told me I had a flat - the truck never drove any different. The tire was a total loss, the rubber inside the tire carcass was cracked and beginning to unzip, a sign the cords inside the tire carcass were destroyed) then the rim would start to cut into and sever the steel cords in the tire. Once those go, it's only a matter of time before the parent rubber of the tire carcass unzips. A sign to look for would be an out-of-round rim because the deflated tire would no longer cushion the rim and any potholes, bumps, etc would go straight through the rubber carcass and into the rim.

05bluerunner

Reaction score
Perhaps... when you take it into the tire dealer, have them check the rim. If the tire was punctured and started to go flat and you continued to drive on it (which is quite plausible, I did it and had no idea I had a flat until I stopped at a friend's place and he told me I had a flat - the truck never drove any different) then the rim would start to cut into and sever the steel cords in the tire. Once those go, it's only a matter of time before the parent rubber of the tire carcass unzips. A sign to look for would be an out-of-round rim because the deflated tire would no longer cushion the rim and any potholes, bumps, etc would go straight through the rubber carcass and into the rim.

I will make sure to have that checked. Thanks for the info.

BigBuff87

Reaction score
mine done thast a few months ago but i was using my spare so i can put a new tire on it after it was worn a little bit but since it was under my truck for so long it rotted around the rim like that and blew out at high speeds so i dont know y yours would do it unless it was sitting for awhiel!

xXLuckyiAMXx07

Reaction score
dude that happened to me too man same freaking thing holy smokes. my tire looked exactly like that bro.....i was going 80mph and when i saw my tire in my left rear view mirror it was smokey like if i had just burned rubber.....i looked on the tire and i had a nail stuck in it...i was like wtf dude from where.

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
Hey 05bluerunner glad you're safe and nothing major happened, mine did the same thing I had 31k on mine and I was going about 60+ mph. Its pretty scary that these tires are doing the same thing. Have you checked the date when the tires were made? I'm wondering if they are out dated tires. I forgot to check mine. After the blow out I bought all new tires.

Murderface

Reaction score
just had my first flat with this truck about 2 weeks ago. was drivin down the highway and i heard something from the right rear looked at the right rear view mirror and saw smoke. i immediately pulled over and saw i had a flat. luckily i didn't damage the rim just had to get a new tire from tire rack for $161 shipped(stock tire) was also told this tire is discontinued and at first had a problem finding it.

Knight Runner

Reaction score
My brother has the same problem like 3 times, dunno if it was the tire or just not inflated right byt always poped from the side:dontknow:

wshsbears

Reaction score
i have some extra wheels and stock XR tires if u all who have had these blowouts are interested.. the tread left on the 2 i have tires on are about the same as the tread in the picture.. lemme know if this will help. these wheels have never been in an accident and are in perfect condition.

Top Bottom