Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Stock wheels - paint or possible photoshop

USAFX

Reaction score
I need to replace my stock tires and was thinking about painting my rims.
I have a SWB and was looking into painting the rims dark charcoal or something like dark gun metal.
I dont want it black, just darker.
Anyone here have a picture or could possibly do a photoshop for me.
:top:

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
here's a pic of my RR
3E589A27-7B23-46E7-AF98-A89B3FA6EC02-12561-00000F51933A835C.jpg

USAFX

Reaction score
Thanks... That looks sick... I guess I will be getting them done ASAP.

question I'm having now is paint or powder coat?
any suggestion?

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
Thanks... That looks sick... I guess I will be getting them done ASAP.

question I'm having now is paint or powder coat?
any suggestion?

thanks man:top:
and alot of people feel different about painting and powder coat.
i feel like its about if you wanto spend 60 bucks a rim to have it powder coated, not to mention some places will charge you for uninstalling/installing your tires back on and leaving them at the shop with them a couple of days <-- thats if you dont need your truck unless you have 4 spares laying around. good side about this its getting professionally done.

or just take a couple hours out of your day (i prefer to paint rims after a fresh set of tires go on but thats me) wash them up, dry them, mask the tire up, then give them a couple of good coats. end up with a result like mine for just $13+tax

Last edited:

Workman3886

Reaction score
I was in the same pickle, then I just said f it and bought new rims, but the dark stocks look sick

BlackCat

Reaction score
Powdercoat, if done right, will be far superior in durability to painting.

If you go the paint route, use a paint specially formulated for use on rims (there are a couple rattle can brands that sell rim paint) or if you have professional HVLP paint gear, use a good single-stage urethane like Nason 2K Fulthane.

Regular rattle can paints, and even automotive grade HVLP paints tend not to do so well on wheel rims due to the large amount of road debris that rims tend to encounter. It depends on where you live, but it's worse in areas with large amounts of loose gravel all over the place (like here in southern Arizona).

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/common/pdfs/b/product/nsn/Nason/ft2kurethane.pdf

justin13703

Reaction score
Powder coating is always a better option. It is much more durable and tends to look a little better. The only downside is cost. 60 a rim really isn't bad, especially if that includes removing and reinstalling the tires. But there is a place around here that charges almost 200 a wheel. It is lifetime warranty, but not worth it in my opinion to spend 800 dollars to powder coat factory wheels. That being said, mine are painted, and have held up pretty well for over a year now. Mine have 2 coats of black primer, 4 coats of black paint, and 2 coats of clear. Cost me about 30 bucks and a day of my time.

If I had known about it when I painted my wheels though, I would have used plasti-dip.

Top Bottom