Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Stock wheels plasti dip or paint?

06 xrunner

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm gonna have to get new tires pretty quick. I was gonna look into rims but have seen your guys pics of the stock ones plasti dipped and painted which looks awesome:top:

I was wondering how long each way lasts and which would last longer and if you got pics off them on a BSP would love to see the difference in colour.

I would assume to get the tires mounted first to avoid any chipping by doing after

thanks guys

xrspeedway

Reaction score
:top:i plasti dipped my stocks. it works good and holds up. but when u need tires again it can peel off. happened to me but it wasnt bad and really wasnt noticable. but other than i like it

NODRULN

Reaction score
I never dipped anything yet. But I have painted many wheels and it lasts for a long time.

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
i sprayed mine 4 months ago, never looked back...and with a darker rim you can get away without cleaning them foreverrr. its a big ++

plus i think it looks really clean, it also looks good in stock but i like mine alot more now

Last edited:

armando_x87

Reaction score
plastic dip does the work... i did mine a month ago. and now i am gonna take them off. give it a try.. if you dont like it you can always go back :top:

06 xrunner

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the response gonna try to find some close up pics on here. Maybe I do plasti dip then at least if I don't like it or get bored of it I can easily remove it

Workman3886

Reaction score
I know some of the guys went months without even a chip when they plastidipped the rims, my lower evo mod is dipped and she holds up great, I've had to touch it up maybe twice in over a year.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm gonna have to get new tires pretty quick. I was gonna look into rims but have seen your guys pics of the stock ones plasti dipped and painted which looks awesome:top:

I was wondering how long each way lasts and which would last longer and if you got pics off them on a BSP would love to see the difference in colour.

I would assume to get the tires mounted first to avoid any chipping by doing after

thanks guys

powder coat them man!

redarkx

Reaction score
Here is what I did with my rims

318BABC3-9089-4E56-BB02-D37EC42C3453-919-00000167732D8FC4.jpg

That is 2 coats of black plastidip with 2 coats of krylon fusion ( the kind that sticks to plastics) of metal flake bronze. Did it that way incase I didn't like it, I could peel it off. The rims have held up great, had them like that for almost a 9 months now.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
Here is what I did with my rims

318BABC3-9089-4E56-BB02-D37EC42C3453-919-00000167732D8FC4.jpg

That is 2 coats of black plastidip with 2 coats of krylon fusion ( the kind that sticks to plastics) of metal flake bronze. Did it that way incase I didn't like it, I could peel it off. The rims have held up great, had them like that for almost a 9 months now.

love your rim color man!

06 xrunner

Reaction score
That looks good but I think I gonna stick with the black. I'm assuming its a matte black if I spray some cleat on them would the gloss up u guys think?
And I'm assuming to paint the back side as well right?

RRX

Reaction score
I would say get them powder coated.

06 xrunner

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting them powder coated but I wanna make sure I like the black on black with my X then possibly get them powder coated. I heard tho if you get a lil chip they it will start peeling off then gotta get them re done. I haven't had experience with powder coated wheels so not sure how easy they could chip

RRX

Reaction score
It is really hard to chip them unless your like a woman driver and like to curb rash your rims. I am getting mine done in a week or so.

ICEMAN

"I drive in the dirt"
Reaction score
Powder coat is the way to go. Gloss black on the BSP looks awesome. The matte finish looks dirty against a shiny black truck. It will hold up well...I drive through chip-sealed roads and have had no issues nor have the other 2 who have done it locally.

armando_x87

Reaction score
i literally took my plastic dip from my wheels today ... man i love how it looks. but looking at iceman signature makes me wanna regret taking time to remove it lol

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
i did duplicolor rim paint-graphite
done it before on other cars i've owned stayed one for the entire tire life had to touch it up when new ones come in but since im not changing colors this was the product for me
44EF9CDB-52CF-48FB-B0F5-6C6B0F34E243-6514-000007440097DCF9.jpg

Top Bottom