Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Stock XR Rims Peeling?! WTF!?

Reaction score
So I just took the XR into the dealership because of a busted air vent (yeah, go figure but it was covered strangely enough). Well, I have about a month and a half left on the bumper to bumper warranty which is good because I'm hoping this is covered too. Here's the deal.

So I was playing some poker today at one of my favorite watering holes when I noticed as I locked the truck that the wheel looked funny, almost like it had been wet but was drying. Upon closer inspection, I found that the finish on the wheel is completely beginning to peel off. It's just one rim (the passenger rear) which is great because that means if it's not covered, I only need to find one rim. However, even if it IS covered, I'm scared that this could happen to the other 3 (not sure about the spare if it's a steelie or not).

In any route, before I make the quick drive to Heyward Allen Toyota for the second time this week, anyone have any thoughts on this? Please don't tell me "Seems like a good reason to get new aftermarket wheels!" Mainly because I am jobless right now and not that I'm broke because I have my savings but I'd prefer not to spend unnecessarily. I also don't want to hear "Take it to the shop or sand em yourself and paint em black!" While I eventually would like to have black (or white) rims and possibly even the stockers, again, money is a little tight and any excess spending I'd prefer not to do. I'm already a little pissed that they won't replace the rusted ass bed bolts (not that scrubbing and painting those would be much work but it's a principle thing).

So, to the topic at hand, peeling finish on stock XR rims (truck is an 09 with 13,7xx miles)... covered under warranty you think? Heard of this before?

I'll get pics tomorrow. It's late already and I'm in for the night.

Thanks in advance.

James_T

Reaction score
Seems like a defect in the painting/sealing process or something. I've seen it happen on 4Runner sport wheels and whatnot. Presumably, if the other 3 wheels are good, I don't see why the dealership should question inclement conditions, or harsh salts or something.

RRCanuck

Reaction score
Ive never heard of this before but if they covered a busted air vent (which they should) under your bumper to bumper warranty then they should defenitely replace/refinish the wheel.

I wouldnt stress about it. Take her there and have them fix her up.

burnboy

Reaction score
I bet it was damaged and repaired before you bought the truck. I work at a dealership. We have wheels repaired all the time

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Burnboy, while I'm not questioning you, I do find it very hard to believe this truck had a rough life within 6k miles (I bought it with 6.5k miles on it). I suppose it's possible though.

We'll see what they say I suppose.

burnboy

Reaction score
Dosent take a rough life. A pdi tech might have rashed it on a curb or a woman might have had it before you, lol. Shit happens at car dealerships and we have all kinds of ways to hide it

triumphx

Reaction score
Dosent take a rough life. A pdi tech might have rashed it on a curb or a woman might have had it before you, lol. Shit happens at car dealerships and we have all kinds of ways to hide it
Ha this man speeks the truth!

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
I bet it was damaged and repaired before you bought the truck. I work at a dealership. We have wheels repaired all the time

:dito:
BTW, the spare is a full size. Not a cheapo steelie! :top:

STONER-X

Reaction score
ya the dealers are GREAT at hiding stuff.... when my and i bought her used 07 fit it looked great.... two weeks later all the plastic dressing and black wax wore off and the car looked 3 years old... lol... live and learn...

Murderface

Reaction score
ya the dealers are GREAT at hiding stuff.... when my and i bought her used 07 fit it looked great.... two weeks later all the plastic dressing and black wax wore off and the car looked 3 years old... lol... live and learn...

Tell me about it. My old boss use to have us disconnect the speedo for every demo he drove. This was a regular occurrence at that stealership and wasn't uncommon for the salesman to have their speedos disconnected.

RRCanuck

Reaction score
Tell me about it. My old boss use to have us disconnect the speedo for every demo he drove. This was a regular occurrence at that stealership and wasn't uncommon for the salesman to have their speedos disconnected.

Ya thats just grimey. I cant even imagine how many cars and trucks out there have had their odometers rolled back. My buddys dad has done it on the last two of his cars which increased the value by obviously a couple grand for only a couple hundred bucks. Its a scary thought.

Reaction score
Well I didn't go today. Got busy and didn't have the time. I'll shoot by there tomorrow then.

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
If you honestly want a better coating than the stock one go get them powder coated. At least with this option you have you choice of different colors . The down-side is that you'll need some spares while theyre being done lol

Reaction score
Yeah.... that little chestnut.

Actually how much time does it take just in case I wanted to go that option? I am currently without a job so I could get my wife to drop them off and it's like a 2-3 day turnaround, I could do that? How much as well because as mentioned in the OP, cost is sort of a point here. Lastly, I heard PC'ing the wheels takes some of the structural integrity out of them.

Reaction score
What? That's what I heard. Tell me I'm wrong and I'll change my beliefs. Something about how the heating process changes the makeup of the metal and softens it, then it rehardens.

Anyhow, new wheel is on order per the warranty. Woot! I asked how much a replacement WOULD cost... 425.75!!!

Top Bottom