Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Strong smell of gear lube inside cab

holddeez08RR

Reaction score
Alright, so I made a trip to vegas last weekend and started noticing that when i'd jump on the throttle a little bit (i'd say when the trans is getting hot) that i would start to get the aroma of gear lube, not too pleasant if you're ever smelled it. So my thoughts are this, there are no pools of oil under my truck, i have at least checked that much. Next step i suppose is to pull the shifter and check that toyota put the silicon back around where it bolts up after they fixed my last clutch explosion... Any thoughts about this from anyone or anyone experienced something similar?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you checked the level of the fluid in the tranny?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Smells like my old issue

Check fluid level, should be within 3mm of the bottom of the fill plug.

Check under your truck, look at the rear of your transmission, where the drive shaft starts, see if there is a ring of gear oil around the tunnel. Also check the front of the bell housing, not as prone to leaking, but still worth a check.

holddeez08RR

Reaction score
I hear ya, I just figured as long as there aren't any puddles that it could wait till the weekend and worse case scenario, toyota was the last ones to touch it, and i have service records to prove it lol. I have to try and find my orange toyota issued silicon stuff so when I pull the shifter off i can gob that ish on there.

rich017

Reaction score
Check the rear of the transmission where the drive shaft starts.

My tail shaft seal had a leak and it was slinging tranny fluid under my truck and it was all over the U-joint. I would also pull your shifter to see if there is any silicone and check the fluid level

holddeez08RR

Reaction score
Now that i think about it, toyota replaced my bell housing with one of the "fixed" ones, and i haven't been under the truck much since they did that. Hopefully the issue is minor and has nothing to do with seals going out or the housing cracking :rolleyez:

ICEMAN

"I drive in the dirt"
Reaction score
Could it be residual oil that may have been on the technician's hands or clothing and maybe it is in the fabric somewhere? I am aware of the smell and I know even fresh gear oil reeks.

Top Bottom