Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

STS TURBO vs TRD SUPERCHARGER

Clown69

Reaction score
whats better the sts turbo or the trd supercharger ? :biggrin:

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
In the least dickish way possible, do a search on here, it has been discussed many times.

X-roller

Reaction score
Sts powered but converting. Numbers in sig. Big snail

Gadget

Reaction score
If you are going to limit yourself to just those two choices, definitely go with the TRD over the sts starter kit.

G

justin13703

Reaction score
I remember one of gadgets posts from a while back so I'll repeat it here

"friends don't let friends buy sts turbo kits"

If you're set on a turbo get a front mount. If you want a supercharger go with URD. In my opinion.

X-roller

Reaction score
you can buy my complete sts turbo kit for $1300 shipped. No turbo.

ToyotaTacoma4Ever

Reaction score
I remember one of gadgets posts from a while back so I'll repeat it here

"friends don't let friends buy sts turbo kits"

If you're set on a turbo get a front mount. If you want a supercharger go with URD. In my opinion.

As well wanted to add from what Torspd once said "Shitty Turbo System" haha
S T S

X-roller

Reaction score
I have zero issues to report on my setup and it's one of the higher hp x-runners to date. I made more power than anyone on this site per psi. It's time to put this bad rumor of STS down. Yes there has been bad experiences but there is more to it than what meets the eye. Torspd hydrolocked his engine on the STS set up. Lamecargo pushed his to the limits and well we all know what happens when you do that. I don't know of anyone else having issues with an STS turbo kit.

I'm just converting to a top mount because I have a pretty big snail so I would like a quicker spool but even now i'm getting full boost at 2800 rpms on a 64mm. I would imagine a smaller turbo would spool much faster if the a/r is set properly.

STONER-X

Reaction score
I am running a custom mid mount with no issues but it is far higher qualify than an Sts.. I would still like to go with a top mount.. the turbo is low to the ground so you have an air filter that is lower to water and in open elements so it gets dirty a lot quicker.. then since you have the Turbo as low as the oil pan you have to have a pump push the oil back into the motor.. I am use to the loud buzzing of the ppump but if the pump goes out while you are driving and don't catch it quick enough you are going to hhave to rebuild the Turbo..

I'm not going to say don't go with a rear mount I have no problems with my setup .. but from what I have heard the sts. Kits use low quality material so take it for what it is worth

My power gains from the Turbo compared to the trd SC that I was running before are two different worlds..

If you are looking to get power gains and want to keep upgrading a Turbo has more of a future ..

If you want to set it and forget it and do few mods here and there the trd will be great. The trd is limited on what you can do to it and it is easy to Max out.. if you Max out your Turbo you can get another one and keep on going

Clown69

Reaction score
people don't get all bent out of shape i just ask a question...... i know someone that is selling a sts turbo kit for 1500 complete that why i ask ........

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheap materials. That is why I don't like them.

STONER-X

Reaction score
just to clear it up for me..

i was not getting bent up.. :) i have a similar setup and i gave my input

$1500 complete with a turbo is not bad.. i would use the kit to get all the parts you need get it on and plan to get it on the top later..

i would not consider the STS or my mid mount reliable for daily driving with a low air filter... my truck is a toy now i have another car..

one heavy rain or high water can send you hunt for a new block..

justin13703

Reaction score
I didn't see anyone getting bent out of shape? Lol

It doesn't really matter how much power an sts system is making right now because the issue is long term dependability since they're known for using low quality materials in all their kits, whether it's for a Tacoma or not. I would stay away from sts. Either go with URD, trd, or a front mount like the one from powerfab.

X-roller

Reaction score
I didn't see anyone getting bent out of shape? Lol

It doesn't really matter how much power an sts system is making right now because the issue is long term dependability since they're known for using low quality materials in all their kits, whether it's for a Tacoma or not. I would stay away from sts. Either go with URD, trd, or a front mount like the one from powerfab.

I live up in the mountains. I drove my truck sunny, rainy, and snow days. Roads are covered in salt and my kit got covered in it. Sprayed it off and nothing but clean piping. Sounds reliable to me... I daily drive my truck so I put it to the test.

justin13703

Reaction score
I feel like this may go the way of all the other threads, with everyone bickering about how what they have is the best option lol

Theres so many things that can change what will be "best" for you. What are your goals, what is your budget, how much work do you want to put into it etc. That kind of stuff will change what you will need. Big budget and want lots of power? Custom turbo. Small budget just want a good increase in power? Trd supercharger. Want a lot of power but still simple with no custom stuff? URD supercharger. This info will help narrow down the choices.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
people don't get all bent out of shape i just ask a question...... i know someone that is selling a sts turbo kit for 1500 complete that why i ask ........

Then go for it have fun with it and build it up from there. Like Xroller.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I live up in the mountains. I drove my truck sunny, rainy, and snow days. Roads are covered in salt and my kit got covered in it. Sprayed it off and nothing but clean piping. Sounds reliable to me... I daily drive my truck so I put it to the test.

Does yours have a snorkel on it? When mine didn't, I hydrolocked the engine. As long as you regularly drive the vehicle, certain part won't rust near as quickly. If you haven't replaced the tubing going into the turbo, or re-coated it, I am confident that it will be rusty. Mine was very rusty after a few years, and their cheap autozone ceramic coating was nearly all flaked off.

If they built it with 304L SS instead of mild steel, if would have been better. My intake tubes, which were made of the same material, were rusted internally as well.

After I made a nice snorkel, I was able to drive through rain water much more confidently.

X-roller

Reaction score
Of course I had a snorkel! I'm not even going to try it without one. I'm just trying to put another option out their for people. I'm not saying my kit is the best but every kit has its problems. My biggest problem with this kit was the oil pump. The rest withstood the elements. That's my experience.

Top Bottom