Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

STS Turbo

Alexrunner

Reaction score
Would anybody consider putting a universal sts turbo on their truck?

:dontknow:

Spyder327

Reaction score
Utixrunner had one on his 05+ tacoma (non-xrunner)

I dont think too many people are big fans of remote mount kits though.

Spyder327

Reaction score
Any reasons why?

I dont know too much about turbo systems in general, but i believe it's because remote mount systems take much longer to spool because of the location. Now that turbo's have come a long ways efficiency wise they can be fully spooled at lower RPM's but a remote mount takes that much longer..

Alexrunner

Reaction score
STS F.A.Q.s

"With the turbo so far back, don't you get a lot of turbo lag?
No, our turbochargers are sized to operate at this remote location. Just like any turbocharger, once the turbo is up to temperature and in the rpm range for which it was designed to operate. The boost comes on hard and fast. All of our systems will produce full boost below 3000 rpm.
If you were to take a conventional turbo and place it at the rear, you would have lots of lag and consequently, our turbo wouldn't work properly if mounted up front."

Im just checking my options, these guys say that the location will not affect the spooling of the turbo.

Spyder327

Reaction score
hmm... i dont know what makes there turbo any different to work like that when others would have lag....

Also keep in mind i dont think the STS kit comes with things like fuel/timing management and what not. You'd need that stuff too...

utixrunner

Reaction score
im in school now. if you got any questions or anything pm me or something. ill be able to answer them later.

Twisted Creations

Reaction score
hmm... i dont know what makes there turbo any different to work like that when others would have lag....

Also keep in mind i dont think the STS kit comes with things like fuel/timing management and what not. You'd need that stuff too...

They do offer bigger turbos, which do spool faster. They also offer electronics for stage II & III applications when needed.
As with any performance manf, basic kits are Stage I, and can be sorta lame...

Deviant

Reaction score
STS isn't bad, but a traditional Front Mount setup will yield you much better results. The only real issues I see with the STS is the location of the air filter, the oil scavenger pump and possibly the turbo lag. I spoke with Uti about this before and it starst spooling at around 2000 - 25000, which doesn't seem to bad to me. STS stands by their location of the air filter being safe under the vehicle but to me I'd rather have it elsewhere. You could probably run new piping to a new location but the longer the run you could potentially increase the spool lag as well. In the rare even that the oil pump burns out you are kinda screwed, but that's an unlikely event as well. There is potential in the STS if you are looking for an easy install and aren't expecting top performance out of it.

heloboby7

Reaction score
They use a crappy FMU for fuel. Stay away from that. The trick they use for fast spool is a small turbine housing. The top of the powerband isn't as impressive.

Top Bottom