Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Suggestions to Repair Chips

xptical

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a few chips in my '05 SWB XR. I was wondering what my options are?

I know I can get the Toyota paint pen from the dealer. Are there any other options? Will local paint shops mix up a few ounces of SWB paint and clearcoat? Or should I go with something like paintscratch.com?

What is the proper procedure for fixing these chips? A few have a touch of rust.

Thanks.

BlackCat

Reaction score
What's your experience level with automotive paints ? With sanding and buffing ?

It's not that difficult, but it does require some skill (and a lot of time and patience) to do correctly. Many body shops don't even do it right. Basically, you gotta clean out the chipped area (esp the rust). Qtips dipped in alcohol is one way. Then dab a little paint in the chip (I would recommend buying an artist's paint brush with a very fine tip, the brushes that come with most paint touchup pens are too fat). Don't try and fill it all in in one step. Wait for dry. Repeat. Build up the touchup paint until it's reasonably flush with the paint around it.

The next step is only if you have the proper skill and equipment. Sand lightly with 2000 grit paper to level out the touchup, buff. Fill in any low spots with more paint. Repeat. It's very time consuming.

You can get the paint chip sticks from the dealer or from paintscratch.com (or a number of other online retailers, just google "paint chip repair" or "touchup paint"). Just take note that SWB is one of the more finicky colors to match correctly.

There is a product from "Dr Colorchip" that a couple people on here have said they would try, but never did hear back from any of them in terms of how well it worked (or didn't).

xptical

Reaction score
I already have the 1500 grit and 200 grit sandpaper, rubbing compound, buffing compound, and a small buffer.

I guess I just need to know where to get the paint.

Thanks for the suggestions on building up the paint. I can see a previous attempt from the original owner to fill a spot. There is a noticeable "dip" between the OEM paint and the repair.

Once done, would you try to get some spray clear-coat and feather it back in? I have a small Owatta airbrush and compressor.

BlackCat

Reaction score
That all depends on the size of the chip. If the chip is small enough (i.e. twice the size of the "," on your keyboard or smaller), I'd forgo the clearcoat. Just build up the touchup paint. Most touchup paints are single stage anyway. It's just too much work to mess with clear for something that small.

But, if the chips get much bigger than that, then you're at the point where some clear might be nice. Exactly whether to brush it in with the same fine art brush for the basecoat or use your airbrush really depends on the size of the chip. I've not messed around too much with SWB, so that's something you might have to experiment with.

Murderface

Reaction score
I'd say try the DrColorchip first. My buddy just used it on his 07 BMW 325Xi and it came out really good even from him doin it. I can't even see where the chips use to be

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Dr. Color chip method works very well when done correctly.

Minimal effort and great results with multiple applications.

If done well with multiple light applications you can not see the repair unless you have your face an inch away from the paint and you are trying to find it.

Best method out with out blobbing and sanding.

BlackCat

Reaction score
Hmmm ... looks like Dr Colorchip has everyone else's vote of confidence ... I'd try that first, the process seems easier and far less tedious than the process I described. If you don't like the results from Dr Colorchip, you can always do it the hard way :top:

Top Bottom