Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

summit racing traction bar

tacoturbo

Reaction score
I had the same problem. If you work at it, it'll sit at least decently. I have my front mounting pad against the leaf spring and the rear one up in the rear. If you tighen down the front one first then the back and then the front again, it should be fine.

I couldn't get them to sit straight due to the taper of the flange. I wound up stripping on of the nuts on the u-bolt. Now I gotta rig something else up. If the dang brackets were about 3/4" taller it would clear. I finally took them off. If they don't sit flush with the underside of the leaf spring I think the u-bolt may fail eventually. Bummer.

i'm going to whip up a custom set in a few weeks for my truck, not going to do that ugly slapper bar setup on my truck. I was going to make a new version of the slide-a-link setup, but I cant find the bushings anywhere so I am going to go with the bellhouse and rod setup. Should be killa! Think I'm going to powder coat it red to match my x-brace as well.

This is how I had my 2002 Turbo Tacoma set up and it worked great. I actually loosened the bolt that holds the spring pack together and spun around the bottom overload spring 180. Since the rearward part of the spring was the longest I drilled the end to accept an energy suspensions snubber. This acted just like a slapper type traction bar and it was nearly invisible. Ground clearance was never an issue with a 3" drop in back. Unfortunately the X has a shorter spring with a riveted on keeper clamp.

Last edited by a moderator:

nylesnakamasan

Reaction score
question,

did you guys have to get a new set of "U-bolt brackets/ seats" which connects the U-bolts and holds them in place? I noticed the stock ones have a curvature underneath and wont sit flush with the traction bar...

Last edited:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
nyles

pretty sure you can't reuse the u-bolts because once they are torqued down you end up stretching the u-bolts a little. if you reuse them after you already torqued them down they have a big chance of failing and breaking on you...would be better just to buy new u-bolts. they aren't expensive anyways.

nylesnakamasan

Reaction score
nyles

pretty sure you can't reuse the u-bolts because once they are torqued down you end up stretching the u-bolts a little. if you reuse them after you already torqued them down they have a big chance of failing and breaking on you...would be better just to buy new u-bolts. they aren't expensive anyways.

I got new U-bolts from my drop blocks, and now I notice that the stock "U-bolt brace which holds the mounting for the shock" is curved on the bottom so I can't get it to sit flush with the traction bar...I am thinking of cutting it to make it flush...anybody had to mod this part?

rat7761

Reaction score

nylesnakamasan

Reaction score
If anyone is going to run this type of traction bar at an NHRA sanctioned track, you need to have a U-bolt or strap attached at the front to prevent them from coming in contact with the track in the event of a failure. See NHRA rulebook general regulations section 3:5.

See link for an example of the U-bolt at the front of the bar.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=LAK-21606&N=700+115&autoview=sku

ya, I noticed this part where the U-bolt is on the traction bar hangs on the yellow universal summit ones...but we can just add it on to these ones.

Here are some pics of what I am having a problem with the Summit Traction bars. If anyone did any modifications whatsoever to fit the traction bars please post. Question, do the XR leafs differ from a stock regular cab 2tr-fe?

SummitTraction003.jpg

SummitTraction006.jpg

SummitTraction009.jpg

Hey Xrunnit...or anyone who wants to check under their XR...

is this part stock or aftermarket?

tractionbars1.jpg

Here is an illustration of the breakdown provided by ToyotaPartSales.com

The piece is number 10 which is called "seat" according to the site...

8512745.gif

Last edited:

LuckyHooligan

Reaction score
Any answers for him? Have you resolved the problem with the seat. I am about to purchase the bars but don't want them to not fit either. Thanks.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
I am running the stock shocks, and stock 'seat' as you have described it.

I do have the gaps as you point out, due to the shape of the 'seat'. Because of how I have the rear and front tightened, there is no rattling, and they are not loose.

The one side will sit slightly angled, but sits snug. :top:

x20Runner05

Reaction score
Looks like a good deal. Know of anyone here have or tried them yet ???

XrunnIT

Reaction score
I have them on my truck with the SS leafs. :top:

I can't complain, and for $40 well worth the cost.

nylesnakamasan

Reaction score
I am running the stock shocks, and stock 'seat' as you have described it.

I do have the gaps as you point out, due to the shape of the 'seat'. Because of how I have the rear and front tightened, there is no rattling, and they are not loose.

The one side will sit slightly angled, but sits snug. :top:

x2 I have made them tight and had no problems. Feels kind of iffy though knowing that it's not sitting flush ??? but it's doing it's job wonderfully! :top:

Top Bottom