Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Super Charger Idler Pulley Noise & Fix

Twisted Creations

Reaction score
I've had some issues with the Gates Idler Pulley that came with my Rotrex Super Charger Kit.

In conjunction with a Toyota Tech, we've come up with an easy, more reliable fix. Genuine Toyota parts :top:

This first pic shows the issue, it's as though the pulley is compressing (crushing) under the tension of the belt. The bearings are already shot and may be the cause of the noise that some of you may hear from time to time. Notice the rough texture of the pulley, you might also find pieces of the bearings in the grooves of the pulley.

100_0815.JPG

The Toyota part numbers needed are as follows

16649-31010 Plate Idler Pull $1.60
16659-AD010 Plate Idler Pull $2.06
16603-0P020 Pulley Sub-Assy. $59.13

Total parts $62.79 + tax

Basically it's two washers and an Idler Pulley. The flat washer goes towards the mounting bracket. The other goes on the front, using the supplied bolt that you have removed from the Gates Pulley. You will also need to reuse the single washer that is under the supplied bolt on the back side of the pulley (closest to the mounting bracket) to provide spacing.

Here is the finished look...

100_0814.JPG

Hope this helps anyone out there that has heard strange noises coming from the area of the Super Charger.

Make sure that you have everthing aligned correctly, prior to starting the motor. I just bumped it a couple of times to test the alignment, then cranked it after everything looked ok.

This has been working fine for me, but please note the Disclaimer below...

Disclaimer;
The content of this "fix" is done at your own risk. Totally Twisted Creations or myself are not resposible for errors or content that cause damage to you or your vehicle. Please feel free to contact a Toyota Tech, or have your local Toyota Dealership install this idler pulley.

Last edited:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Great fix bro! Im sure this will help the ones that have the S/C. Doesn't do me any good tho.... just one day, one day :biggrin:

Top Bottom