Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Suspension Damage?

X-Runner_R1

Reaction score
Hey guys not sure if this is the right spot for this or not but if it's not im apologizing in advance.... So this morning on my way to work i was taking a curve and i hydroplained and i tried to steer myself right and overcorrected trying to avoid a MPH sign and i caught some dirt (side of the road) and skid sideways for about 60 ft!! Talk about a wake up call in the morning!! I checked the truck over and my skirting came lose and some clips broke off, i was a little relieved that was all the damage, but then i get back on the road and my steering wheel is cocked to the right when im driving straight ahead! Could the skidding have screwed something up in my front suspension causing the front end to be out of alignment? I got to work and looked at the truck underneath and everything seems to be ok but i noticed the front sits a little off to the driver side now. I measured from the tire to the bottom of the front fender and the passenger side sits about 1 inch higher now? I've never noticed it before is this normal? I have heard something about a "taco lean" on one of the threads and am not sure if this is what they are talking about. Im just worried i screwed something up pretty bad and im leary about driving it now... Im gonna take it to get aligned tomorrow hopefully and pray that's all that is wrong with it. What do you guys think?

Gadget

Reaction score
I did a Dukes of Hazard maneuver with a company car across a ditch. When I hit the other side the whole car jumped up in the air and flew about 30 feet.

The steering wheel was really jacked up. I headed for the nearest liquor store and picked up a case of beer then headed over to the maintenance shop.

I was back out on the road an hour later with some new front end parts, two new rims and tires and a straight running car.

So, I think you will be fine once you get it on the front end rack and have them tweak things a bit.

G

X-Runner_R1

Reaction score
haha sounds like that was a fun time:laugh: i really hope that's all it is

BlackCat

Reaction score
From what you describe, I think a four wheel alignment more than likely should take care of it. I've heard of people hitting parking blocks, potholes and whatnot and finding their steering wheel going crooked. I also have a coworker who plowed their 4WD truck through a shallow swamp and though the truck went through it straight and emerged out the other side on dry land, their steering wheel wound up 90degrees off.

If you take it to a good alignment place and describe what happened, they should be able to tell you after checking your points if you've got anything more serious going on.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
Very well could have bent a steering knuckle, or the tie rod assembly. Don't drive it like that so you don't blow through the front tires and have it checked out at a good alignment shop/suspension shop.

X-Runner_R1

Reaction score
Yea i was wondering about the rear as well because both drivers side tires had rocks between the rim and the tire i guess from the skidding so if the front got a little jacked im wondering if the back didn't do the same thing, i went this morning at 6 and they said they are booked until thursday:hmmmm2: so i just left the truck at home cuz i didn't want anything busting loose at hwy speeds and soooo im drivin my R1 for the rest of the week:rockon:

Top Bottom