Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

That 1GR tick

sixstringdave

Reaction score
It drives me nutz sometimes. Really sucks when someone is admiring the truck and i can hear the 'TICK TICK TICK' of the engine as it sits there and idles. I have been asked by people about it when they think its something bad that happened to the engine.

The noise has always been there but it seems like it is slightly louder. And it seems worse when the engine is really warmed up. I have heard that it is common on these engines. It just drives me nutz when i hear it.

Please tell me that mine isnt the only one that does this. And if there is anything i can do about it.

Gadget

Reaction score
Completely normal. The engine uses solid lifters and by their nature make noise.

If you think it is excessive, you should pull the cam covers and check the valve lash and adjust as needed.

G

xrgilly

Reaction score
they all tick brother thats was one of the main things that drove me crazy specially in traffic

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Well, i feel a little better now. Thanks guys!

Gadget, i didnt think about adjusting the lash. I am wondering if it would help. Prolly not, but worth a look. I am almost at 89,000 miles.

Murderface

Reaction score
Which oil/weight do u use? When I ran Amsoil 0W-30 the tick was louder, not that I have Mobil 1 15W-50 it's quieter

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Which oil/weight do u use? When I ran Amsoil 0W-30 the tick was louder, not that I have Mobil 1 15W-50 it's quieter

Ive been running Mobil 1 5w-30 since i have had the truck. With winter coming on, would the heavier oil like you run be ok? I have always just followed what the manufacturer suggests.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
The solenoid on the driver side of the intake manifolds also ticks loudly. Try disconnecting the plug then running it, just to see if it makes a difference in the noise you hear. But, it still needs to be plugged in. Just for checking purposes.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
The solenoid on the driver side of the intake manifolds also ticks loudly. Try disconnecting the plug then running it, just to see if it makes a difference in the noise you hear. But, it still needs to be plugged in. Just for checking purposes.

I remember hearing something about that long ago in a past thread. What is that thing. And can it be replaced for a newer and 'quieter' one? Or would it even matter??

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it has to do with the evap for the charcoal canister? Not exactly sure. Also, if you unbolt it from the intake manifold, it doesn't resonate as much.

MadToy

Reaction score
Your long tubes will definitely exaggerate the tick also.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Very interesting stuff. Looks like i wont be able to adjust them if they were excessive.

I havent had a chance to check that solenoid, but will tonight.

The long tubes making the tick louder? Not sure what to think about that...

So what about the oil as mentioned earlier in this thread? John, you never answered me back. I know you are running a heavier oil, but you are blown. And i am not sure how cold it gets where you are. It can get down to the low 30's here.

Can i safely use a heavier oil. Something like Mobil 1 15w-50 ??

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can get a 5w-40 for the winter months, you would be really good. That might be hard to find, unless you get it from Amsoil, Redline, Eneos, Motul, or Sustania. I used to run Eneos 5w-50 great for both extremes.

The headers would only exaggerate a tick, if there was an exhaust leak.

Last edited:

sixstringdave

Reaction score
So 15w-40 is tough to get a local store? Never thought about it cause i have never looked, heh...

What about 10w-30 ? or even 10w-40? Im sure it would be safe, right?

I have seen that at Autozone.

rexrunner

Reaction score
If you can get a 5w-40 for the winter months, you would be really good. That might be hard to find, unless you get it from Amsoil, Redline, Eneos, Motul, or Sustania. I used to run Eneos 5w-50 great for both extremes.

The headers would only exaggerate a tick, if there was an exhaust leak.

The long tube headers are a thinner gauge and will resonate the tick louder. Gadget the valve lash isn't adjustable. Buckets need to be replaced

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
So 15w-40 is tough to get a local store? Never thought about it cause i have never looked, heh...

What about 10w-30 ? or even 10w-40? Im sure it would be safe, right?

I have seen that at Autozone.

No, I believe that you miss read what I had typed. I said 5w-40. You will be fine with a 5w-30 to 10w-40 in the your winter.

Top Bottom