Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

That damn sqeak is back

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
So I've about had it with my local dealership (aren't we all?). My TOB has been squealing off and on now for about 6 months. Every time I drop the truck off I get the same call, "the tech can't replicate the problem". Finally I noticed it on my way home and swung into the dealer. Basically pulled into the shop and said get the damn tech to listen to this thing. Well after hearing it he decides it's time to get the toyota rep involved (this will be the 4th TOB to be put in it). So after much bitching and "stern" calls to the service manage I finally got some good news today. They're going to perform the TSB with the updated parts free of charge. Hopefully once they get in there they'll see that the input shaft is grooved and either replace that or the whole damn tranny. I just can't wait for this to finally be over. end rant/

mixplate_xr

Reaction score
TSB is a must, if you're eligible!
Had mines done a little over a year ago and so glad to have never heard that squeak ever again.

Mortifer

Reaction score
What are the details on getting the TOB replaced under TSB?
My stock 2006 has been squeaking for 6-8 months now too.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Hopefully they get it right this time.

I never had that issue.....and glad I haven't. I have sure had my share of other problems.
I upgraded from URD when I did my stage 3+

Can XR

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. My buddy and I are going to pull the tranny and replace it. Hopefully do the clutch and flywheel when were in there

xrgilly

Reaction score
Just had mine done a few months ago. Squeaking again. Half the reason my trucks up for sale. So sick of the cheap shit parts. This is my last toyota. For a company that prides them selves on reliability they sure have some shit products

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just had mine done a few months ago. Squeaking again. Half the reason my trucks up for sale. So sick of the cheap shit parts. This is my last toyota. For a company that prides them selves on reliability they sure have some shit products

Send that complaint in email to Toyota corporate. Then ask them why a '85 Toyota pickup with original TOB sounds better than a truck which was purchased in '06+?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the hits keep coming. Once inside they discovered a worn clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. All replaced/resurfaced at the time of the last TOB. Dealership is fighting with my warranty company to have that all covered as well.......:thumbdown:

Anyone have the 1-800-bitch at toyota phone number?

Murderface

Reaction score
Ha ha ha stupid warranty company and shitty Toyota clutch

P05X

"Wicked Pissah"
Reaction score
Man that sucks, mine started squeking about 2 mounts ago, with about 87k miles on it. I hear ya xrgilly I've been debating getting rid of my x as well. Hope every thing works out for you matt.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
This is the ONLY reason I'm glad I abandoned mine when I had the chance. I can't believe this is still an issue all these years later

butters607

Reaction score
I found why it does this it gets extremely dry and hot in there and if you spray it with a lubricant through the inspection cover it goes away I watched my dealer do it one day but their throwout bearings do suck

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I found why it does this it gets extremely dry and hot in there and if you spray it with a lubricant through the inspection cover it goes away I watched my dealer do it one day but their throwout bearings do suck

It does this because of bad design. That is all. It gets no drier or no hotter in there than any other car on the road LOL.
Hardened steel bearing against an aluminum shaft. Throw in some twisting and side load from lack of pilot bearing. No shit its going to wear out.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
So where does the input shaft actually groove out? Does anyone have a pic of what to look for? I'm not as mechanically inclined as I wish I were but the trans is out sitting on the bench at the shop and I have access to it in the am. I really want to make a case to have the trans replaced. I'm sick of fixing the effect rather than the cause. Open to suggestions.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
There is a snout that is part of the bellhousing that comes out around the input shaft. The TOB rides on this snout and this is where you will see the wear. I'll see if I can get a pick from my trans.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score

Not always, I tried that on mine, didn't do a damn thing lol.

You would think Toyota would get sick of every single person to ever own a Tacoma bringing it to the dealerships for tranny issues and actually start putting good parts in. But I guess not lol. They're just terrible transmissions. It's sad when you can get in a Chevy slobalt and slam the piss out of every gear and it takes it just fine, but we have to cringe at the thought of when our tob is going to go out, and about shifting over 4k rpm.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From my transmission this past weekend:

IMAG0656.jpg

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
There is a snout that is part of the bellhousing that comes out around the input shaft. The TOB rides on this snout and this is where you will see the wear. I'll see if I can get a pick from my trans.

When the dealer saw that my snout was worn, they didn't want to put the new TO bearing on without replacing the entire bellhousing (AT MY EXPENSE), which I believe was over $700. Realizing that it was a repair of the aftermath rather than a repair the problem, I chose to replace the bearing, put an OEM clutch and flywheel back on and make it someone else's problem. Toyota sucks for this whole situation.

Top Bottom