Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The once and for all gear swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
Toyota has been fuel conscious in the past few years with their products - its proved to be a good move.

The fact that Toyota is now developing a sports car with Subaru hopefully means that the economy is going to turn around.

Dude, really? That should be pretty sweet.

Super Werty

Reaction score
The only swap he could do is a full drum-to-drum housing swap.

thats what I was talking about doing this whole time...

I could easily find a wrecked trd sport and swap out the whole echilada

the ls3 motor handles well in the corvette better weight ratio and power to weight ratio.. in a xrunner totally diff ball park one getting it to work with trans drive shaft and everything.... and it be a straight line truck these things are heavy enough

while this is true, the ls3 doesnt weigh much more than our beefy 4.0's

Last edited:

skilledbum23

Reaction score
well there are plenty of brave people its just everyone wants to see proof before they go and drop the dough, i would love to do it i just want more info and details like everyone else

Coupe

Reaction score
thats what I was talking about doing this whole time...

I could easily find a wrecked trd sport and swap out the whole echilada

while this is true, the ls3 doesnt weigh much more than our beefy 4.0's

If I was going to do this ( which I am not), it would only make since to use the whole drive line, including the corvette transaxle.

I would also add, if the price of this swap approached $1800, depending how you get your parts/labor, I would go another way.

There are other rear end combinations that could be modified to fit, but would require more fitting.

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
If I was going to do this ( which I am not), it would only make since to use the whole drive line, including the corvette transaxle.

I would also add, if the price of this swap approached $1800, depending how you get your parts/labor, I would go another way.

There are other rear end combinations that could be modified to fit, but would require more fitting.

you could throw a 9" in the back, build a rear disc setup, new yoke, and still have 5x4.5 bolt pattern for less than 1K. new gears and a locker you'll still be under 1800. just to swap the carrier would be easier for some, but there are other better ways to do the rear swap.

Coupe

Reaction score
you could throw a 9" in the back, build a rear disc setup, new yoke, and still have 5x4.5 bolt pattern for less than 1K. new gears and a locker you'll still be under 1800. just to swap the carrier would be easier for some, but there are other better ways to do the rear swap.

I do not know if you would be under $1800, but it would be close.

WCD

Reaction score
I'm thin on money right now, but I'm down for the gear swap eventually. I could score just the gear set and do the setup myself and save some dough. We have plenty of bare Prerunner 3rd members in stock. I'm curious to see what she could do with 3.73's.

Murderface

Reaction score
these trucks are not fast at all, i highly doubt the gears would drop ur times that drastically:thumpdown: i almost lost to a 4 cyl accord today:thumpdown: needless to say, i don't try to race anyone, its pointless

Ruffryder

Reaction score
Whether or not the gears alone will make stock trucks faster than a S/C one is beyond my level of technical knowledge, but here are my sources of skepticism:

That doesn't just say he beat them. This statement implies that the race was not even close. I'd like a few more details on where the race was (what "track" and what city), what color it was, who was the driver (might even be a member here).

In all fairness guys, what does this matter!?!:bird::laugh::dontknow:

Spyder327

Reaction score
In all fairness guys, what does this matter!?!:bird::laugh::dontknow:

The reason it matters to some is that they want more information towards the validity of all this, so they know it's not someone messing around, etc.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
well i am not here to bash anyone and if this swap really does help that much i would take my truck to my buddy's house right now and swap the whole thing but I just don't feel that the power your going to gain from it is worth it. I am not saying it wouldn't drop your times but it is not going to make it to where you can DESTROY a s/c x but i say just go get a camera or even the one on your phone and do a 0-90 run down some empty street so all of us here can sleep better at night cause all honesty if this works that great i will personally appoligize for doubting you:top:

Spyder327

Reaction score
That's not the vibe we're trying to give off here. CivicKilla has nothing more to answer for us than a video or eye witness of this regeared X-Runner. The rest of it is all his personal business.

he may. or he may be an imposter. LOL. just investigating.

On these notes, let me clear something up here. What TitanRattler is saying is absolutely correct. The reason people want a bit of proof or validity, is because this is quite the modification, and he's boasting an extremely good gain.

We're not gonna go and "investigate" to try and figure out if he's some guy from somewhere else or anything like that. This thread is on topic of gearing, let's not change that. It's reasonable to think that he may get a dyno, speedometer clip, or someone to come look at it/ride with him. If a long time goes by and nothing comes from this, than oh well maybe someone else will attempt it one day.

Let's try to keep this about the possibilities and benefits of gearing.

Edit: some of you didn't seem to necessarily get the idea here.... If you want to ask him questions about the swap, how he did it, if he can take speedo clips, if he can dyno it, if you can come look at it, then great. But 10 posts to the equivalent of "i dont believe you" does not help anyone. If he legitimately did it, all it would do is discourage him to stick around and explain/prove things further.

Last edited:

Coupe

Reaction score
On these notes, let me clear something up here. What Titan Rattler is saying is absolutely correct. The reason people want a bit of proof or validity, is because this is quite the modification, and he's boasting an extremely good gain.

We're not gonna go and "investigate" to try and figure out if he's some guy from somewhere else or anything like that. This thread is on topic of gearing, let's not change that. It's reasonable to think that he may get a dyno, speedometer clip, or someone to come look at it/ride with him. If a long time goes by and nothing comes from this, than oh well maybe someone else will attempt it one day.

Let's try to keep this about the possibilities and benefits of gearing.

Edit: some of you didn't seem to necessarily get the idea here.... If you want to ask him questions about the swap, how he did it, if he can take speedo clips, if he can dyno it, if you can come look at it, then great. But 10 posts to the equivalent of "i don't believe you" does not help anyone. If he legitimately did it, all it would do is discourage him to stick around and explain/prove things further.

I do not think a dyno run is going to show you anything. The gearing does not effect HP. It will effect acceleration. You are giving your truck a better mechanical advantage to move the same weight. It would be like using a longer break over bar to loosen a stuck bolt. You arm did not get any stronger, but the bolt still came out.

Hmmmm....

I do not know if the mechanics of this swap will work. What I do know is your acceleration with improve. Period.

I do not think your gas mileage will be effected that much. I usually do not hit 6th gear until 80 mph. So you already have a truck that has two (2) over drive gears. In a 70~75 mph I doubt if you would even notice. ( I am talking about 3:50 ~3:73 gear). A numerically higher gear is going to start sucking some gas.

The first gear shift will be short. 0~5500 rpm will be lightning quick. You may even find yourself starting out in 2nd gear.

Super Werty

Reaction score
I do not think a dyno run is going to show you anything. The gearing does not effect HP. It will effect acceleration. .

Isnt that the same thing? lol, Im no expert but moving faster either means you lost weight or gained power/traction

PascoX

Reaction score
No, the HP will be the same, the gears will get you moving faster, but it should cost you top speed and gas efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom