Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

thinking about making the jump

evil goo

Reaction score
hi guys. i'm a new englander/ damn yankee, and i currently drive a 1997 nissan hardbody XE. lifted, 4WD, engine block heater... the works. having been a new englander for 27+ years, to me, a truck without 4WD, mud tires, and a lift kit has always been something to scoff at. but recently i find myself thinking a little differently...

i'm moving to so-cal in a month, where snowbanks are unheard of, mud is only found at the bottom of rivers and lakes, and frost heaves.. well, you get the idea.

long story short: I'm thinking about making the switch to an x-runner. i want a new vehicle, and i've always wanted a sports car, but, i still need the capability of a pickup. XR seems like serendipity. so my question for the forum:

what are your biggest gripes about your XRs?

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Welcome to the site man...Well it seems like u came at the right time. There r a few for sale and if you want a really nice kick azz prerunner hit up Toon714. I think you would really like it but thats just my opinion. Other than that be sure you check out the vendor threads for all your future trucks needs.

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
Only thang i complain about is i wish the steering wheel came out further,im 6'3 n i gotta sit up straight to b comfy lol other than that youll love everythang else about it nwelcome to xru n

xrspeedway

Reaction score
U can pull the steering wheel out. Get the XR and u can be part of the XR SoCal group. What part of SoCal will be moving to

NODRULN

Reaction score
Welcome, for the first few months I have had my xr I'm in love the only thing I'm worried about is my motor blowing. Just seen people motors pop. And freaks me out cause I don't want to go threw that nightmare.

chatt x

Reaction score
No complaints here so far. THE best truck I've owned to date. Taco "tick" is the only thing that took a little time to get use to. Oh, and one other thing that sucks is the damned mod bug! You won't regret it if you get one! It's a blast to drive!

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
only downsides to the x are very poor mileage and not the best clutch or tranny. i'm averaging 17 mpg. best i've had is around 20 mpg on a few road trips (mostly hwy) and after supercharging i'v noticed my clutch has a hard time grabbing when i shift into 4th or 5th when i'm pushing it hard (redlining it) and lastly the fuel filter seems to have clogged shortly after supercharging as well. other than those few issues the truck runs great

Endless

Reaction score
Welcome. I think the truck in general is good. The trans seems to be a weak point but not a deal breaker by any means. I wish the xrunner had a double cab option as I also own a 2002 double cab Tacoma that is way more suited to everyday utility use. Aside from that, the X is bout the best "sport truck" on the market. If you get one, you won't be disappointed.

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
you have questions these guys have answers.

i say just watch the clutch and transmission, or just upgrade them :biggrin:

other then that i LOVE driving this truck

nick_gz1

Reaction score
Definitely not the best tranny and clutch as mentioned already. I only have 15,000 miles on my truck so I dont have to worry about that yet but im sure it is coming. Other than that welcome to xru!!!

justin13703

Reaction score
The clutch and transmission are the biggest mechanical issues IMO. Factory clutch discs have been known to separate and the tranny seems to be weak and the gearing is terrible. The 1-2 shift on these things is hideous.

Other than that, the rock chips on the front of the rear fenders that they all get, and the crease in the bed above the gas door from hitting bumps too hard.

evil goo

Reaction score
wow, lots of feedback. I'm looking for something that can get on/off the freeways around San Diego quickly, get reasonable mileage on the highway, and last for 10 years or so under normal driving conditions without a major overhaul. it's going to be my weekend getaway machine, mostly used for hauling a couple of mountain bikes out to Noble Canyon, or surfboards to the beach... and the occasional trip with a motorcycle in the back... and my ride to work if it happens to be raining.

gunner76137

Reaction score
Get 1 you wont regret it !!!!!
These trucks not only look good they are fun to drive.

xrgilly

Reaction score
my gripe was space and power, i moved on
but i do miss the truck sometimes

L3G10N

Reaction score
issues: power is weak, brakes are weak, paint is soft, AC blower motors are a faulty design that was never fixed, gas mileage is a bit weak, but that's due to power/weight.

handles very well for a truck.. pretty fun to drive if you're used to ordinary cars.

blackote

Reaction score
hey evil.. welcome to the forums, i dont chime in as much but i can honestly say the truck is fun.. I used to live in San Diego, now i am up in the anaheim area and commute to work in San Diego, so a 90+ commute one way.. Gas mileage is around 18-19 freeway... Im thinking of going back to the a car only because of the mileage, other than that. It is a great truck

Nick_c

Reaction score
I'm a new x owner and I love it has plenty of power for a dd. I wanted one the day they came out in 05 I'm regretting waiting so long to get one.

Top Bottom