Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Throttle cable conversion

Tunedx

Reaction score
Drive-by-wire is one of the top issues other than the tranny for me. Is it possible to change it to typical cable found on most engines?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be possible.... Since the signal goes through the ecu

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I'm sure bypassing the ECU would be the major hurdle. I believe it has been done on a 1gr, but I have no idea how.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
They may suck but they don't ship items with missing parts.

Sure they do LOL. I was missing several parts from my T56 kit when I got it.
APR is a great company, and have done some great things for the x-runner community, but they have their share of issues.

Dubbed2008x

Reaction score
Sure they do LOL. I was missing several parts from my T56 kit when I got it.
APR is a great company, and have done some great things for the x-runner community, but they have their share of issues.

So what your saying then is urd has there share of issues also because they tend to send things w missing parts. I understand nobody is perfect but this is happening more and more often.

butters607

Reaction score
so yes there is a way and the fella that did it is twin turbo with 710 hp he spoke on here only once in xrollers thread I think he's got custom everything

So what your saying then is urd has there share of issues also because they tend to send things w missing parts. I understand nobody is perfect but this is happening more and more often.

Why not get on topic or make your own bitching thread

Last edited:

kcidmil

Reaction score
Actually I don't think it'd be as hard as everyone believes. If you leave the input signal side from the pedal, the ECU will still get it's demand signal. And it can try to open up all it wants, but that's already taken care of via the cable. I'd just dismount the solenoid and mount it somewhere else to keep the circuit.

I think the hardest part will be the ECU learning that the motor is responding better than it used to. lol

The fly-by wire has driven me nuts too. The lag over when I lift off the pedal to shift gears leaves me screaming at the truck sometimes. Also the higher RPMs when I'm coasting in neutral... why the hell does it stay around 1200 rpm?!?!?!

justin13703

Reaction score
APR sucks.......

^ what he said lol. Urd will take care of any issues in no time, if they're just told about it and not bashed online.

Back on topic, I was actually wondering about this today. A cable throttle would be so nice, you'll never get the instant response of a cable throttle with drive by wire. But like they said the ecu is very involved with the dbw system and to remove that will involve alot of work. It would be sweet though.

Actually I don't think it'd be as hard as everyone believes. If you leave the input signal side from the pedal, the ECU will still get it's demand signal. And it can try to open up all it wants, but that's already taken care of via the cable. I'd just dismount the solenoid and mount it somewhere else to keep the circuit.

I think the hardest part will be the ECU learning that the motor is responding better than it used to. lol

The fly-by wire has driven me nuts too. The lag over when I lift off the pedal to shift gears leaves me screaming at the truck sometimes. Also the higher RPMs when I'm coasting in neutral... why the hell does it stay around 1200 rpm?!?!?!

That one makes me think...sounds pretty simple and I'm curious as to how that would work.

The coasting in neutral rpm thing, I'm pretty sure my jeep does that too and it's a cable throttle, I think alot of vehicles do it, probably has something to do with emissions.

Last edited:

kcidmil

Reaction score
It's fairly simple in theory. The ECU reads the demand from the pedal, then adjusts the throttle. Obviously it's a small part of a bigger picture. With timing, sensor readings, O2, knock etc etc. But in regards to the fly by wire, there isn't too much involved other than input and output. Even when running the closed loop cycle (warm up before sensors take over) the ECU is still controlling the throttle.

You'll want to keep the input side so the ECU sees the demand quicker, other than waiting for the MAF to show the engine is sucking more air. This way it can adjust the timing for fuel and spark.

As for the higher RPMs, my Tundra would never do it in Neutral. And my Xterra doesn't bump the RPMs when coasting down a hill in Neutral (it's a 6spd manual too) In fact most manuals that I have driven haven't done this. But that doesn't bother me as much as the fact it takes forever for the RPMs to drop when I go to shift. I think you're right in regards to emissions, but it's in the ECU programming.

Which is where you might run into your first problem. It's similar to driving with cruise control and popping the trans out of gear without touching anything. The cruise will throttle up trying to keep the vehicle up to speed even though you're in neutral. I have a feeling the ECU might throw a code when coasting down a hill and it's trying to raise the RPMs but senses it's adjustments to the throttle aren't changing the RPMs. Either that or you'll end up with a Rich condition, with the ECU trying to put in more fuel to raise the RPM. Also during the closed loop phase when it's bumped the throttle up to warm up the motor.

I don't think it's really all that hard of a mod... just a lot of "what if..." questions to answer.

I haven't looked too hard at the setup. I wonder if you could run a hybrid system. Using both cable and wire. The cable would allow you to have quicker throttle response. The wire would keep you from throwing a code during normal usage. The only question is could you mash the gas without tearing apart the solenoid for the wire system.

Last edited:

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
You will have have to change the pedal assembly, the throttle body, the ECM will not work and ha e issues at that point a stand alone EFI system. Not as easy as you think. Plus say goodbye to your cruise control.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
You can keep mechanical throttle blade actuation with a TPS/PPS signal, many motorcycles are set up like this.

Just need to get in there and try it, fly by wire in this truck really isnt that bad and has come such a long way as a whole; I dont see the point in any street vehicle to spend the time/effort/money to do so...

Moneyblind

Reaction score
so yes there is a way and the fella that did it is twin turbo with 710 hp he spoke on here only once in xrollers thread I think he's got custom everything

Why not get on topic or make your own bitching thread

Agreed...

On topic though, If someone is willing to team up in the northern florida area, when I get some free time I can work out some of the electrical issues. But I think this would be alot harder then others think, in the respect that yes the truck would run, and you could go, but it would not be as efficiant with power/mileage whatever way you go. I could be wrong, but i think the ecm takes alot into account when doing its thing.

justin13703

Reaction score
My g8 was a drive by wire system and that thing was almost as instant as a cable. The instant you stood on it, it cracked your head back. In my opinion the drive by wire on these trucks is terrible. The throttle body is WAY too slow when opening and closing.

PAXR

Reaction score
There are modules out to clean up and speed up drive by wire. Why nothing for our trucks?

kcidmil

Reaction score
It's simple... demand. We can all sit here on this forum and say we want something, but in the end there isn't enough of our trucks on the road to justify to a lot of companies to dig in. That's why I have some hopes for our transmission now that the V6 Camaro has been cursed with it too.

Anyway back to topic, I've got a simple philosophy when it comes to mods... "Nothing is impossible with money." Is the ECM involved, obviously. But I don't think it's so tied into everything that you can't pull it out. During warm up the ECM is running it's closed loop, which is just the bare minimum to keep the motor running. Majority of the sensors aren't even being used. Cruise, well if you could keep it hybrid then you wouldn't have to worry about it. And if not, there are tons of aftermarket kits out there that run off vacuum.

I honestly wish I had more time to dig into the truck. But I've got so many projects going on now. It'll be a lot easier once I have the motor back into my Maxima. Honestly can't wait till i retire, get my shop and start going to town.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
You don't k ow what your talking about. Its tied into every function from cold start, a/c on and the ecm controls the throttle position to maintain speed aka cruise control. Its engineered to work reading the pedal position, throttle position, engine temps, Mass air flow. Its all tied in when the system is engineered. Your best bet is a stand alone EFI.

Top Bottom