Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TOB squeak???

06 xrunner

Reaction score
Over the last few days I've noticed a noise like a squeak coming from under the hood I believe. It will make the squeaking while idling or while giving it gas gets a bit louder but only when clutch pedal not being pressed. As soon as I press the clutch pedal in even 1/2 an inch it won't squeak. It doesn't do it all the time seems to come and go. The pedal also seems to make a bit of noise as well.

I did a little search yesterday and came across a few threads with one even talking about turning the shaft under the clutch pedal to make sure It's seated right so I'll try that tomorrow first but I think It's more than that

Wondering your guys thoughts on this issue and if I do have to remove the tranny I'm guessing I should probably replace the clutch as well right? And is there anything else in there I should swap out?

justin13703

Reaction score
Yeah it's your throwout bearing. The shaft on the clutch pedal will quiet down the creak noise when you push in and release the pedal, but the squeak from outside is your tob. It's a known issue, damn near every 05 and up Tacoma with a manual tranny has done it or will do it soon. And yes, if you're gonna fix it go ahead and do everything you want to do while you're in there. Pulling the transmission out sucks a whole lot and you won't want to do it more than once.

If I were you, I would get the TSK from URD to fix the throwout bearing, and you might as well pick up a new clutch and flywheel too. I'd do the steel flywheel, not the aluminum one, and if you're na a stage 2 or at most stage 3 clutch. Also can get all that from URD in a package deal.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
Over the last few days I've noticed a noise like a squeak coming from under the hood I believe. It will make the squeaking while idling or while giving it gas gets a bit louder but only when clutch pedal not being pressed. As soon as I press the clutch pedal in even 1/2 an inch it won't squeak. It doesn't do it all the time seems to come and go. The pedal also seems to make a bit of noise as well.

I did a little search yesterday and came across a few threads with one even talking about turning the shaft under the clutch pedal to make sure It's seated right so I'll try that tomorrow first but I think It's more than that

Wondering your guys thoughts on this issue and if I do have to remove the tranny I'm guessing I should probably replace the clutch as well right? And is there anything else in there I should swap out?

if your gonna pull the tranny you might as well replace the clutch and TOB and either re-surface your flywheel or get a light weight one. might need some new syncros and bearings too if you have any grinding or trouble getting into any gears

06 xrunner

Reaction score
Well looks like I'll be pulling the tranny then sometime soon. Haven't had to on the x yet or any vehicle actually for about 10 years. Sure It's gonna be a royal pain in the ass haha..syncros seem good it goes in smoothly to every gear.
Man just the other day I was thinking that I haven't had any big problems with the x in the 5 years I've owned it and then of course bang this happens

justin13703

Reaction score
Luckily it's not really a huge problem it's just a huge pain in the ass to take the tranny out lol. My truck is actually currently at the dealership for transmission issues...Yet my beater 15 year old Cherokee still has the factory clutch after 250k miles

dramad1

Reaction score
You can always use a tranny picker if you are doing it by yourself and don't have a tranny jack.
Pic of said tranny picker: lol

Attachments

• image-960936537.jpg
    image-960936537.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 131

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
that is the sad reality most xrunners have to face :thumbdown: had mine replaced at 30k along with a cluth and tranny...dealer took care of it if not i wasnt buying :D

Iggy08

Reaction score
I know it's been some time since the last reply, but I didn't want to make a whole new post for the same thing.

I notice I get a pretty loud chirp or squeal when I let go of the clutch too fast and or hit the gas too hard, usually from a stand and very rarely once I'm actually going past 1st gear. This rarely happens though as I am a pretty calm driver and I learned what not to do to avoid this. I do have a big concern though, is this messing up my transmission or anything by not changing the throw out bearing? I am very low on money at this time since I'm getting close to the end of college and I've been paying for school out of pocket (no loans so far). I read y'alls suggestion to change out the clutch and flywheel while down there, and that's something I planned on doing a bit further down the line. I just checked URD's site and all the pieces come out to be about $1,000. That's a lot for me right now, but I rather not get an even bigger burden down the line for ignoring this.

I bought my 05' X-Runner used in 2012 with around 62,000 miles. Now I'm at around 87,800 miles, adding about 320 miles a week. Like I said, I don't really hear it unless I carelessly drop the clutch too fast and/or hit the gas too hard but I don't know if it's still causing damage.

Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate the help this site gives!

justin13703

Reaction score
I know it's been some time since the last reply, but I didn't want to make a whole new post for the same thing.

I notice I get a pretty loud chirp or squeal when I let go of the clutch too fast and or hit the gas too hard, usually from a stand and very rarely once I'm actually going past 1st gear. This rarely happens though as I am a pretty calm driver and I learned what not to do to avoid this. I do have a big concern though, is this messing up my transmission or anything by not changing the throw out bearing? I am very low on money at this time since I'm getting close to the end of college and I've been paying for school out of pocket (no loans so far). I read y'alls suggestion to change out the clutch and flywheel while down there, and that's something I planned on doing a bit further down the line. I just checked URD's site and all the pieces come out to be about $1,000. That's a lot for me right now, but I rather not get an even bigger burden down the line for ignoring this.

I bought my 05' X-Runner used in 2012 with around 62,000 miles. Now I'm at around 87,800 miles, adding about 320 miles a week. Like I said, I don't really hear it unless I carelessly drop the clutch too fast and/or hit the gas too hard but I don't know if it's still causing damage.

Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate the help this site gives!

Basically, if a squeaking throwout bearing is left in the truck, it can start to put grooves and scrapes on the input shaft of the transmission. Honestly you will probably be ok for a little while, because the URD throwout bearing kit comes with a sleeve that goes over the input shaft, that the new throwout bearing rides on. So even if your input shaft is chewed up a little bit, that new sleeve will go over it. You still don't want it to get too bad though, so I'd just start saving up for the kit and if it's done in a reasonable amount of time you should be ok.

Iggy08

Reaction score
Basically, if a squeaking throwout bearing is left in the truck, it can start to put grooves and scrapes on the input shaft of the transmission. Honestly you will probably be ok for a little while, because the URD throwout bearing kit comes with a sleeve that goes over the input shaft, that the new throwout bearing rides on. So even if your input shaft is chewed up a little bit, that new sleeve will go over it. You still don't want it to get too bad though, so I'd just start saving up for the kit and if it's done in a reasonable amount of time you should be ok.

Thank you, I don't hear it much but I know it happens sometimes so I had been worrying about it for a while now. I'll keep driving calm and saving up for now, thanks!

SHUmaker

Reaction score
Mine was doing the exact same thing....I ordered the TOB upgrade from URD its a huge differnce so far :top:

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Haha! Mines been doing it for over a year now. I better get it done. I'm going to order all the stuff I need from URD; clutch, TOB, and flywheel.

Is there anything else needed parts wise?

I am having a reputable tranny shop do it. Is there anything they need to know about these quirky trannys that I can tell them? Even reputable shops can run into issues they are not familiar with, ya know?

justin13703

Reaction score
Haha! Mines been doing it for over a year now. I better get it done. I'm going to order all the stuff I need from URD; clutch, TOB, and flywheel.

Is there anything else needed parts wise?

I am having a reputable tranny shop do it. Is there anything they need to know about these quirky trannys that I can tell them? Even reputable shops can run into issues they are not familiar with, ya know?

The biggest "wtf" moment they will have is when they realize there's not a pilot bearing so you can't use an alignment tool when installing the new clutch. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
The biggest "wtf" moment they will have is when they realize there's not a pilot bearing so you can't use an alignment tool when installing the new clutch. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

Cool, thanks man. Can't wait to finally get this done

lamecargo

Reaction score
don't feel bad I did the TO bearing fix and it was great for about 2 years now its squeeking again...plus I got 5th and 1st gear grinding my shits all ****ed up

cmart357

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I am curious about this noise also. Same squeal/chirp when taking off and slightly slipping the clutch with a little gas. My truck is an 2005 and a few years after I bought it I asked a toyota service writer tech about it and he said It was a glazed clutch disk which of course would not be covered. That was a few years and 25,000 miles ago and no problems yet other then the noise occasionally. Could a glazed clutch be the issue?

shook

Reaction score
I did the throwout bearing sleeve kit a few years ago when it was just starting to squeek. It's starting to to it again even with the sleeve kit on. I'm not going to take it apart all over again just to fix that, although it can get irrirating. So just be aware that it still can come back even after you think you're safe from it. Luckily I can only hear it with the windows down at lower RPMs and decelerating. I think the only reason I don't hear it at higher RPMs and during acceleration is because everything else is louder than the squeek, haha.

cmart357

Reaction score
So your tob made that squeal/chirp sound during shifts? I thought they just squeaked at idle with the clutch not engaged or rattled like mine does time to time.

shook

Reaction score
No, not during shifts. Only while the clutch is disenganged. It's louder when it's in gear and I'm rolling than when out of gear and idling.

Top Bottom