Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Too Far for Rattle Can?

redarkx

Reaction score
roy365 said:
Ok so my small spot has gotten MUCH worse now. I was washing the truck and literally the whole passenger side paint came off just from water pressure.

I searched on here for "spoiler removal" but didnt really find anything. How does one remove the front spoiler, or lip extension as Toyota calls it? It looks there are rivets used on mine. Do you drill those out? I gotta get this thing off and painted quickly!

Mine is the same way on the right side. But they put bondo over them and painted. Yours are stuck to the bumper, just like mine.

roy365

Reaction score
So I called Sherwin Williams and got a price on a base/clear step plus some reducer. For all three it was $77.30 minus the prep tools. I have 4 of these laying around too. This is what I meant by my title "Rattle can". These Preval sprayers are pretty cool for small jobs. Going Monday to pick up the paint goods. Just gotta park the X/R and pull the lip extension off and prep it. I will definitely let ya'll know how it comes out! If this doesnt seem to be spraying like i want then i will just hook up the compressor and use the air gun.

490C2CAC-189F-4319-A3B2-9AFE21C59CCF-4408-00000205F7E47CD3.jpg

roy365

Reaction score
Mine is the same way on the right side. But they put bondo over them and painted. Yours are stuck to the bumper, just like mine.

Ok so I got the truck up and Got myself under it finally. I removed the section of the extension that was peeling. It came off with a few screws, plastic push holders, and the tabs that hold the ground effects on. I got a quote as mentioned for the paint and supplies, and HVLP sprayer (Chicago Pneumatic) and it would have been over the cost of an auto body shop to prep and paint it.

The rivets i was seeing was just the outer parts and not the retaining feature of the section/extension.

So I ended up letting a professional tackle the job. I will post pictures of the results when it is ready.

So to answer my own original question........YES it was too far for "rattle can" repair. :laugh:

i had to do the same for mine...dont take it to the dealer though...a body shop will charge 85-110$ to repaint it

Right on the money for a guess. :top:

Last edited:

JFrame

Reaction score
Glad you decided to go the professional route. When you said materials were going to cost around $75 and to have a shop spray it it would be $85-$110 I couldn't see why you would do it yourself unless you were really good or just wanted the experience. At least this way if it's screwed up you can have the shop redo it.

Top Bottom