Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Too many miles to S/C it?

BearCat11

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am fairly new to XRU and was in need of some advise. I just paid off my 2006 XR which was used as my work truck. (poor thing took alot of abuse over the last 5 years) Now that i have a new truck for work i can spend some money and fix up my X. I was wondering if there would be any issues putting a S/C on a high mileage engine? My truck has 155,000 on it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!:hmmmm2:

butters607

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am fairly new to XRU and was in need of some advise. I just paid off my 2006 XR which was used as my work truck. (poor thing took alot of abuse over the last 5 years) Now that i have a new truck for work i can spend some money and fix up my X. I was wondering if there would be any issues putting a S/C on a high mileage engine? My truck has 155,000 on it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!:hmmmm2:

go to autozone do a compression test and if it comes back good then boost away brotha

Venomous_X

Reaction score
hmmm, honestly with that kind of mileage, id think it would be wise to either rebuild or build your motor first before installing any kind of forced induction.... If not you may be ending up down the road a few of us are with messed up motors. :thumpdown:

butters607

Reaction score
If it has been taken care of there shouldn't be any issues motors can last a long time if taken care of properly check the compression on all 6 cylinders and post it in this thread and we can give you a definite answer

BearCat11

Reaction score
go to autozone do a compression test and if it comes back good then boost away brotha
My truck still runs strong but I probably should check the compression. So Auto Zone will do this?
( I wanna be Blown! Not Blown up!) thanks for the advise!

butters607

Reaction score
My truck still runs strong but I probably should check the compression. So Auto Zone will do this?
( I wanna be Blown! Not Blown up!) thanks for the advise!

No they won't do it for you they have a kit for you to do it yourself if you need a step by step let me know I just did this with ketchup yesterday

Reaction score
Well I'm no mechanic, but just based on a feeling, if I had that many miles on my engine I would give it a good once over for signs of wear and possible failure. Doesn't matter how easy you dirve it, miles are miles and when they rack up things change ever so slightlywhether you feel it or not. Not only that, but putting a motor with that many miles under multiplied stress is going to age it that much quicker and shorten whatever fun you may get out of the S/C. Speaking of, even if you did baby it pre-S/C, when you get it on there we all know you're going to have fun with it and pound the gas petal repeatedly. I would stay safe and have it broken down by a professional that knows what to look for and replace anything suspicious or has the potential to become troublesome under stress. If nothing else, some fresh gaskets, piston rings, and the usual overhaul stuff would be of benefit.

butters607

Reaction score
Well I'm no mechanic, but just based on a feeling, if I had that many miles on my engine I would give it a good once over for signs of wear and possible failure. Doesn't matter how easy you dirve it, miles are miles and when they rack up things change ever so slightlywhether you feel it or not. Not only that, but putting a motor with that many miles under multiplied stress is going to age it that much quicker and shorten whatever fun you may get out of the S/C. Speaking of, even if you did baby it pre-S/C, when you get it on there we all know you're going to have fun with it and pound the gas petal repeatedly. I would stay safe and have it broken down by a professional that knows what to look for and replace anything suspicious or has the potential to become troublesome under stress. If nothing else, some fresh gaskets, piston rings, and the usual overhaul stuff would be of benefit.

<<<<<<mechanic not certified but the only things I can't do are.internals on trannys or motors

BearCat11

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise! I plan to do all the work myself as a project. I have not touched an engine since auto shop in 11th grade some 17 years ago! I will be learning as I go. And trust me, I will have alot more dumb questions!:stupid:

butters607

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise! I plan to do all the work myself as a project. I have not touched an engine since auto shop in 11th grade some 17 years ago! I will be learning as I go. And trust me, I will have alot more dumb questions!:stupid:

That's what this forum is for what your going to do someone has probably already done so they can help you catch back up with the.times!

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Please. I boosted 130k, MRk 1 stg 3...and soorunner has over 150 with a mrkII stage 3...

Check your compression plus a leak down test. Mine was with in 7psi on all cylinders. And it was right in the middle of the butter zone, according to Toyota. So I boosted and haven't looked back

Remember. Its a Toyota. Assuming you do all the wiring and tuning(if need be) right, there is no reason why your truck shouldn't run for a long ass time.

SooRunner

Reaction score
I agree, I started boost at 135K...I just hit 150K. If your truck runs strong and it has been well taken care of then I see no problem in boosting. I need more POWAH already!

Correction...I think I'm at stage 2.5. Just missing the Y pipe and smaller pulley/tune then I'll be at stage 3. LOL!

Brwood22

Reaction score
I think the motor will be fine as long as it was healthy before hand. I like hearing people boost 130k motors without issues.

butters607

Reaction score
you have to figure that motor is broken in and may have less issues than a newer one thats how i would look at it!

Top Bottom