Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Torque App - Scangauge/Ultragauge Alternative

James_T

Reaction score
For you guys with Android phones/tablets,

I've been using the Torque OBDII App (http://www.appbrain.com/app/torque-pro-(obd2-car)/org.prowl.torque) with a generic Amazon.com OBD to Bluetooth adapter for a while now, and I have to say - I find it to be incredible, if not better, than the Scangauge or Ultragauge.

(My screenshots inverted my colors...don't mind those)

screenshot_3.png

screenshot_2.png

screenshot_1.png

The gauge response is pretty good, but it definetly depends on what car you use the unit with. For example, when you have more gauges, the response is each gauge updates every half second or so, but on my friend's Mercedes, the gauges all update around 10+ times a second.

The app also lets you log data, chart graphs, and scan/clear error codes. Also, you can choose from many gauges, from dials to bar graphs or text readouts of almost any engine parameter you can think of.

Just an alternative if you were thinking about the Scan/Ultra Gauges. It's a hell of a lot cheaper, and just as useful.

butters607

Reaction score
whats the cost? also where did you get the bluetooth thing and whats the cost of that?

xrunner4.0

Reaction score
I just started use this app also on my truck, and it works great so far. The Torque app costs $5 on the Android market. The bluetooth OBDII adapters vary in cost depending on what you want to spend. My buddy recommended one off ebay that he used in his Cobalt SS. So that's what I went with and it cost me $25, and I haven't had any problems with it...I'll post what the actual model is this evening.

butters607

Reaction score
I just started use this app also on my truck, and it works great so far. The Torque app costs $5 on the Android market. The bluetooth OBDII adapters vary in cost depending on what you want to spend. My buddy recommended one off ebay that he used in his Cobalt SS. So that's what I went with and it cost me $25, and I haven't had any problems with it...I'll post what the actual model is this evening.

cool man thanks

xrunner4.0

Reaction score
Here is a link to the one I got on Ebay (I don't think I bought mine from this seller) -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blue...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item336cc45711

This one is actually quite small...it doesn't even stick out past the dash on my truck. I haven't been able to get the torque app to read fuel pressure or trim values. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the bluetooth adapter or the app itself. @James_T have you been able to read any fuel data with your adapter?

James_T

Reaction score
Here is a link to the one I got on Ebay (I don't think I bought mine from this seller) -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blue...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item336cc45711

This one is actually quite small...it doesn't even stick out past the dash on my truck. I haven't been able to get the torque app to read fuel pressure or trim values. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the bluetooth adapter or the app itself. @James_T have you been able to read any fuel data with your adapter?

Personally? I can read my fuel trims, but some things like fuel level, fuel flow, and other misc. things are not working and display no data.

Generally, the data that can be displayed is usually dependent on the car's sensors and ECU. For example, while testing it on my mom's Mercedes ML350 last night, I could read almost everything, including CO2 emissions, fuel level and flow, all fuel trims, header exhaust temperatures, and whatnot. Also, I had 4 gauges on the dash, and the ECU updated the gauges unbelievably fast - you could say real time.

As opposed to my 4Runner, where the 4 gauges pictured in the original post update kinda slow. But hey, it works haha.

It might be an issue with the OBD adapter, because I'm pretty sure most modern ECU's, especially the ones with variable valve timing have to have the fuel trims and their associated readouts.

butters607

Reaction score
Personally? I can read my fuel trims, but some things like fuel level, fuel flow, and other misc. things are not working and display no data.

Generally, the data that can be displayed is usually dependent on the car's sensors and ECU. For example, while testing it on my mom's Mercedes ML350 last night, I could read almost everything, including CO2 emissions, fuel level and flow, all fuel trims, header exhaust temperatures, and whatnot. Also, I had 4 gauges on the dash, and the ECU updated the gauges unbelievably fast - you could say real time.

As opposed to my 4Runner, where the 4 gauges pictured in the original post update kinda slow. But hey, it works haha.

It might be an issue with the OBD adapter, because I'm pretty sure most modern ECU's, especially the ones with variable valve timing have to have the fuel trims and their associated readouts.

The Ultraguage can read st and lt fuel trims. What you can not read is oil temp, pressure, fuel pressure, exhaust temps and stuff like that because there is no sensor for those things.

xrunner4.0

Reaction score
My gauges actually update with almost no delay, but I'm disappointed that Toyota doesn't include some of those more important sensors like oil and fuel pressure. I might have to try a different adapter to see if I could at least read fuel trim values.

Even with these issues I still think its a great app.:top: I really like being able to see AFR, coolant temp, timing, etc. It's got a lot of other cool features too that make even more useful, and it doesn't cost much.

butters607

Reaction score
My gauges actually update with almost no delay, but I'm disappointed that Toyota doesn't include some of those more important sensors like oil and fuel pressure. I might have to try a different adapter to see if I could at least read fuel trim values.

Even with these issues I still think its a great app.:top: I really like being able to see AFR, coolant temp, timing, etc. It's got a lot of other cool features too that make even more useful, and it doesn't cost much.

Well actually I was given an explanation of why they don't put these in most vehicles anymore it was broken down to me like this the average person does not know how to read an oil pressure guage and when it would be low they would panic and think somthing was wrong with there vehicle therefore they took them out lol

xrunner4.0

Reaction score
I saw that set up when I was in Vegas for the SEMA show: http://www.palmerperformance.com/

DashCommand is actually a different app. The one we are using is called Torque (not available for iphone). IMO and also what I've heard from others, Torque seems to be the best for android.

@butters607 I've heard the same thing about auto companies limiting the info available on gauges. I kinda understand why they have to do it, but its still retarded:thumbdown: Like vehicles having a "transmission temp gauge" with a bunch of stupid little marks...not really much help if you can't see a real number!:hmmmm2:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Honestly think I rather get a OBDII to serial cable rather then a wireless version.

Well actually I was given an explanation of why they don't put these in most vehicles anymore it was broken down to me like this the average person does not know how to read an oil pressure guage and when it would be low they would panic and think somthing was wrong with there vehicle therefore they took them out lol

The Mustang has an oil pressure gauge :biggrin:

:-O hahahaha I had to man.

Last edited:

butters607

Reaction score
Honestly think I rather get a OBDII to serial cable rather then a wireless version.

Refer to my explaination oh I had to

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Refer to my explaination oh I had to

"it was broken down to me like this the average person does not know how to read an oil pressure guage"

I know you are not insinuating that Mustang owners are above "average" since apparently Ford thinks they are competent enough to read the gauge.

Haha.

GOD DAMN MUSTANGS!!!

xrunner4.0

Reaction score

You guys are hilarious, but being serious now, why do you prefer the OBDII to serial rather than wireless (other than the possible slight increase in data transfer speed)?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
You guys are hilarious, but being serious now, why do you prefer the OBDII to serial rather than wireless (other than the possible slight increase in data transfer speed)?

Link reliability and expandability to other devices (such as a laptop that does not have bluetooth capability); but primarily link reliability.

And its cheaper!

Last edited:

James_T

Reaction score
Tbh i have found no issues with my bluetooth adapter for over a year, and even syncs with my laptop, though i don't have a way to read the data. Plus, it has the benefit of keeping my interior incredibly clean looking. ^^

xrunner4.0

Reaction score
Link reliability and expandability to other devices (such as a laptop that does not have bluetooth capability); but primarily link reliability.

And its cheaper!

I would agree with you that you would be more likely able to connect to more devices with an OBDII to serial than with a Bluetooth adapter, especially if you are working with and changing engine parameters using various tuning tools. For me though just using the Torque app to keep an eye on things, I have to agree with James_T, wireless keeps the interior looking clean and I’ve never had any connection issues with my adapter. I’m not really sure what you can find cheaper than $30(app and adapter) that has all the monitoring capability and other features like Torque. Kinda of a pain to get a serial connection on a phone anyway, lol.

Top Bottom