Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Toyota Sports Car Unveiled - FT-86

xrunnerjoe89

Reaction score
This car isn't about 0-60 or 1/4 mile its all about handling and how the car feels. Its going to be a track/drift car and for anyone who wants to actually drive a car that you will feel connected with.

Heres some more info.
Subaru (FHI), FR sport "BRZ" a small co-developed with Toyota Motor Corporation. Was also announced that the configuration is 3 and grade, "S" "R" "RA" to determine the release date on March 28.

The exterior and interior are introduced in the news and "see in the picture" already here, we want to introduce a mechanism for a little more deep.

■ Engine
"Said a low center of gravity" has it become a basic concept of BRZ. Its benefits along with the two points it is possible to reduce the role, that draw the full power of the tire. In other words, with or without hard suspension settings than necessary, or to install a high-grip tires, a translation can pursue handling performance.

However, it's easy only if written as "low center of gravity" just, quite difficult when it comes to the actual form. If the BRZ, FA20 engine of adoption "D-4S and the next generation, horizontally opposed" is that its core. As you know, the main stream of the company have just handed over to the third generation from FB20 and if Subaru EJ20 fan. Say it has been positioned has been newly developed and FA20-only (so far) there is a dare, and the car is BRZ & 86 with the more important role.

FA20 is a big point of, and specially designed intake manifold (hereinafter, intake manifold) and exhaust manifold (hereinafter, the exhaust manifold), but the adoption of thin oil pan it. This will clarify the features of the high center of gravity horizontally-opposed engine is lower than the engine originally series. And has achieved a very low center of gravity height and 460mm, the minimum ground clearance of 130mm. Also to the rear center position of the engine at the same time. Is also offset to the rear 240mm compared to the new Impreza, on the axle of the front wheel was almost. Weight distribution when you are around the front seat and ride 2 53:47 This, you can enjoy the fun of unique and FR.

■ Transmission
There are two types of transmission and a 6-speed AT 6-speed MT. MT is a single cone synchro over triple-cone, a 4-speed to 6, in the range shift feeling daily rate has been increased from 1 to 3. AT is electronically controlled adaptive control was adopted. Adaptive control and determine what the road conditions and vehicle state from the accelerator opening, that control is performed in accordance with the intent of the driver. 3 provides a mode of "SPORT" "SNOW" "(manual) M", has become a mechanism, such as running can enjoy according to the situation by changing the degree of control interventions, respectively.

It has become a royal road to select the MT given the run, there is only one problem. It should be turned to what was assumed 205Nm (20.9kgm) / 6400 ~ 6600rpm which is the current engine torque capacity of the transmission. Would have been taken from the factor of safety to some extent, it would not matter if a little about, such as response to the large torque 422Nm (43.0kgm) / 4400rpm Impreza WRX STI is it has not been assumed, for example. But that the drive train, otherwise the propeller shaft and drive shaft and differential, and there is enough space in the AT it.

However, there is no problem at all levels, even if it is about fine-tuned 6-speed MT. So there is a commensurate need to put hand to the engine if you plan to give more power and torque, there is a story about "Me and the brothers are also enhanced transmission if you do up there." Paradoxically, it will also with a supercharger (MT vehicles) does not publish unless you solve this problem

■ Suspension
The same combination, such as front suspension Impreza / McPherson strut, rear and / Double wishbone. However, the details are quite different.

Strut front cross member and lower arm employs a new shape. Reverses the orientation of the front and rear lower arm, and become the front side mount position, significant changes have been made. In addition, the attention also to the coil spring. If the front, because the bottom is above the tire mount, spring rate patterns earn you reduce the number of generally larger diameter wound. But, placed inside the tire diameter in bottom mount suppressing the BRZ. He has achieved a sporty style reduces the height of the front hood.

Newly designed rear sub-frame. As well as to optimize the suspension geometry, which enables deployment of large-capacity def.
Pics!!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?
attachmentid=5175&stc=1&d=1330656949
attachment.php

shaX 07

Reaction score
This car isn't about 0-60 or 1/4 mile its all about handling and how the car feels. Its going to be a track/drift car and for anyone who wants to actually drive a car that you will feel connected with.

Heres some more info.

Pics!!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?
attachmentid=5175&stc=1&d=1330656949

I get what you're saying, and I understand that concept. However, drifting and superb handling are only fun for so long, and than the slowness gets boring. I had a 97 Nissan 240SX with coilovers, and pretty much every suspension component you'd want for the track. It sure did handle amazing, but the stock motor put out 155 crank hp, and that car got boring pretty quickly, even with its superb handling.

Personally i'd consider other options for $26k, pending test drives. I would certainly give the Genesis Coupe a chance to compete with FR-S / BRZ for my money.

Don't forget, when this car was first mentioned a couple years ago, they were saying the pricing was supposed to be around $20k. Then after a year it crept up to $22-23k. Now that the cars are almost here, we're looking at $26k. Originally we were expecting the same 200hp number, so i'm not sure where all the price increases came from but it was disheartening to hear of such increases. This car for $20-23k would be worth it IMO.

Fortunately i'm not in the market for a new RWD sports car, and if I were and did have $26k to spend, I would just buy a C6 Corvette over any of the above mentioned cars. 405hp + corvette heritage FTW :)

Top Bottom