Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Traded in my 2012 X for...

fuseaku

Reaction score
Well, as most of you know I've been around on here for quite some time, since April of 2007 to be exact. In 2005 I leased the best looking truck I ever laid eyes on. It was my first brand new vehicle and I was planning on keeping it forever. After my lease ran out, I went ahead and bought the lease and started financing the truck and paying for it all over again (I don't wanna talk about how much money I paid in the end for that truck! lol) But I still loved it nonetheless, even after 11 years I was still in love with my X-Runner, faded red paint, dings, dents and all. It was my baby and it was paid off, then some A-hole decided they were going to make my day a verrrrry bad day and my truck got totaled.

So finally after all was said and done, I received $13,000 for my 2005 RR X and found a black 2012 X for sale at a stealership in St. Augustine, which is about an hour away from where I live in Port Orange, FL. I was excited to get into a new X that had a couple more bells and whistles that my '05 didn't have (like the backup camera), but I truly didn't realize what I had just gotten myself into. After driving the new X around for a couple days or so, I started finding out a lot of things that really REALLY annoyed me about the truck...

1. The seats sat higher in the truck making it extremely difficult to see out the right portion of the windshield. I literally had to duck my head way down to see under the rear view mirror, so not so safe there.

2. The stock stereo sucked in comparison to my '05, not to mention they took out the rear door panel speakers and replaced them with that god awful wannabe sub thing in between the back "seats". They did add two tiny hidden speakers up in the headliner that were really terrible as well though. lol

3. The 2012 X wasn't as fast as my 2005 X was, and I'm talking when both were stock. In second gear, when I accelerated in the '05, at a certain RPM range I could literally feel the VVTi (or whatever it was called) kick in and it had a really nice pull. The 2012 had none of that, just a steady slower acceleration. Wasn't happy about that.

4. The new steering wheel and controls/placement sucked in my opinion.

5. My baby's car seat would actually fit properly in the '05, but in the '12 there seemed to be less room in the back seat area and you couldn't even latch the front passenger seat because the car seat would stop it. Even if the seat was scooted all the way forward and the back was tilted all the way up. Only way to make it work was to lift the car seat up a bit, but that made the car seat unsafe.

6. Didn't like the redesign of the back seats.

7. The door armrests were less comfy in the '12 than in the'05.

Anyway, you get the idea... I absolutely despised getting in and driving the newer X I bought, so I knew I needed to do something, and I didn't think starting to do mods on it would satisfy me.

Needless to say, I traded in the 2012 X-Runner I only had for maybe a month and a half earlier this week for a silver 2010 4Runner SR5 and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I knew I wanted to stay in the Toyota family because I know they are great quality vehicles and will last forever as long as you take care of them. I had my '05 X for 11 years and not one single problem with it, I'm hoping this 4Runner will treat me the same.

Basically, I realized it was time to say goodbye to the race truck and say hello to the family vehicle with style. I love that it has electric seats, a sunroof, all auto windows (including the very back window that also rolls down), and many many more things that the X didn't have.

Anyway, my rant is over, but I will still be around on here because you guys are awesome and the fact that I know I can still get some great advice from you all even though I've got a 4Runner now is amazing. So much happier now, and I didn't lose as much money as I thought I would after trading in the X. And my payment only went up less than $10/month!

Here's a photo of my new ride (don't mind the bugs that committed suicide on my front bumper, they're now resting in peace lol)...

Gadget

Reaction score
The 4Runner is always a great choice!!!

G

madtrucker

Reaction score
I enjoyed reading that post. I learned something. I'm also glad that I have an '08 RR. The new SUV is beautiful.

Last edited:

12X-Runner

Reaction score
I thought it was just me that thought the seats sat really high. Hmmm. I wonder where the height difference is. Floor pan? Seat brackets? Seat itself? I need to fix this in mine. Congrats on the new ride!

nick_gz1

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the X man, i'm sure it was hard giving up it all but you got a nice new ride. Congrats!

Reaction score
random question, it doesn't feel weird to drive an suv as big as the new 4runners after a truck? there nice, hows it compare speedwise?

MrX-runner

Reaction score
You're right, I wish they made that seats a few inches lower. Any away congrats on ur new ride.

fuseaku

Reaction score
random question, it doesn't feel weird to drive an suv as big as the new 4runners after a truck? there nice, hows it compare speedwise?

It's not that weird, especially after riding around in a highlander for a week before I bought the 4Runner. It's higher than the X, but the 4Runner has so much more to offer, and it's a great family vehicle. My '05 X was way faster than the '12, but the '16 Highlander was really quick too... faster than the '10 4Runner I just got.

Top Bottom