Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trailer towing question?

faulkdizzle

Reaction score
this may be a weird question, but i dont have a towing reciever on my truck, who much weight could i safely haul with just putting a ball on the bumper, without damaging or ripping the bumper off. thanks in advance.

Gadget

Reaction score
Not much at all.

That info should be in the owner's manual.

I got a real hitch from Curt put on mine and I hauled way more than I should have accross the country. The truck will pull a lot of weight....

G

sbx595

Reaction score
I don't even step on my bumper where the ball would go.... Its thin and I'd be so mad if it cracked, hitch recievers really aren't much and are far safer, they also give you a reliable place to hook runaway chains

BMWtech

Reaction score
I got my curt set up for under 200 shipped and install is really easy. I've towed about 4k lbs with no problems besides getting low mpg.

reckless-x

Reaction score
I put the oem toyota hitch on mine and towed a full auto transport with a car on it. but yea i dont like the whole idea of a bumper ball reminds me when u drive down the road and see peoples bumpers that are bent down.

livinginsa

Reaction score
I tow my jetski and trailer much. It could tow a lot more. In the day, I had a Toyota truck that had the ball on the bumper, and I towed a trailer with a Mercedes on it. Even that was easy. That was with just a 4 banger. It isn't the hauling that is hard; it is the stopping that one needs to be concerned about.

rich017

Reaction score
The bumper is rated for max towing because there is frame under it. The ball wouldn't even be on the bumper.

But it is better to get a receiver.

CBRBob

Reaction score
I would pull a light open trailer with a m/c or a jetski, thats it. Like the Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Don't know how much weight the bumper ball can handle.
Other number as as follows:

Weights and Payload/Towing Capacities

Curb weight (lb.): 3725
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) (lb.): 4600
Payload [6] (lb.): 875
Tongue load (lb., standard/maximum): 350
Standard towing capacity (lb.) [7]: 3500
Maximum towing capacity (lb.) [7] [8]: 3500
Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) (lb.) - (with Towing Package): NA

[6] Payload is the GVWR minus curb weight and includes weight of occupants, optional equipment and cargo, limited by weight distribution. Payload is not the Vehicle
Capacity Weight as defined by FMVSS 110, which will vary according to installed optional equipment.

[7] Before towing, confirm your vehicle and trailer are compatible, hooked up properly and you have any necessary additional equipment. Do not exceed any Weight Ratings
and follow all instructions and cautions from your trailer hitch manufacturer and Toyota vehicle Owner's Manual. The maximum amount you can tow depends on the total
weight of any cargo, occupants and optional equipment.

[8] Maximum towing capacity and tongue capacity require V6 engine with available Towing Package.

XYota

Reaction score
Well I have pulled a 16' tandem axle flatbed with my 95 4runner SR5 4x4 on it. From my house to Austin 60 miles, a 14' travel trailer for 15 miles. I have had no issues.

But I recommend a Reese hitch.

ntinhri

Reaction score
pulling weight isn't a issue, safely stopping is your issue. Our truck isnt designed to pull stuff.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
I got my curt set up for under 200 shipped and install is really easy. I've towed about 4k lbs with no problems besides getting low mpg.

What the duece?!? From where? The cheapest one i see from them is like almost 300!! Do you have a link? Or was this a special one of a kind deal? Im about to buy one so i can haul my waverunner.

Here is the one i can find.

http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?event=hitch

I would love to save some money, cause as you can see, thats just for the hitch. Not including the ball and then i have to get the wiring kit for the trailer lights.

XTruckDriver

Reaction score
Two years ago when I got mine, Curt was the only brand that mounted without interfearing with the X-Brace. You had to remove it to install the hitch, but you could put it back on when done. The Curt mounts between the frame rails and the bumper mounts, the others I looked at used the mounting holes that the X-Brace mounts to so you couldn't re-install the X-Brace. Spend a little extra money on the wiring kit and get a heavy duty one. The first one I got warped from the heat buildup behind the taillight and shorted out causing my battery to go dead all the time. If you have LED taillights that's another issue, some of the modules won't work with LEDs.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
I wondered about the X brace. Good to know that the Curt will allow it to be put back on!

Thanks for that link BMWtech!! It will really save me a ton of money. Im gonna go ahead and order the whole package deal with the ball hitch and wiring kit. Free shipping!! Woot!:rockon:

EDIT: Im assuming the stuff in the link, which is all for a 2007, will fit my 2005?

Last edited:

firetuner911

Reaction score
i got a valley hitch which i picked up from a local place for 250 with the wiring harness and ive pulled a dingo on a 12' HD trailer + attachments total trailer weight had to be around 7,500. it pulled it just fine, the engine had more than enough power, i felt the clutch slip a few times, but i think ive been a little too rough on it in the past. the only problem i had really was stopping, and i have the TRD BBK in the front. the only thing i will say is that because the rear suspension in our trucks is a light suspension you really have to pay attention to how you load the trailer to keep you from bottoming out.

BMWtech

Reaction score
No problem. Yeah it should be the same part. You can just go on etrailer.com and enter all your truck info and the same things should pull up.

astronomyX

Reaction score
I tow my 2008 RXP which is 800 pounds and the trailer is 150 pounds with no problems at all, no issues with acceleration or breaking. I don't even notice it back there at all. Never had any bumper damage

livinginsa

Reaction score
I tow my 2008 RXP which is 800 pounds and the trailer is 150 pounds with no problems at all, no issues with acceleration or breaking. I don't even notice it back there at all. Never had any bumper damage

To you and me, an RXP or GTX makes sense but to most people, it probably doesn't. An RXP is a Seadoo jetski, pretty good size one, 750 to 792 lbs depending on if it is the 155 hp or the 215 hp model, plus his 150 pound trailer, total of 900 to 942 pounds.

Top Bottom