Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tranny filled, Amsoil MTG

PAXR

Reaction score
I just had a new tranny put in under warranty about 1700 miles ago. I wanted to dump the toyota fluid after a break in and after doing some research. Here is what I came up with.

The Holden and GM cars that run this tranny shed a lot of light on this. Everything points to the oil that toyota uses and misinformation by guys swaping in new oil.

Our trannys need a GL-4, 75-90, synthetic oil. NOT A GL-5, NOT SYNCROMESH. GL-5 is not yellow metal compatible, and syncromesh provides zero heavy load and shock protection on bearings and gear faces. This is all because the syncros require just the right amount of friction to work perfectly and still be protected. GL-5 fluid will corrode our yellow metal syncros. A regular gear oil with additive, super lubricant, or friction eliminator package will also not fit the bill.

The Holden Commodore driver seem to like the Amsoil and have had good luck with it. Here is why, Amsoil MTG specifies all of the following.

-GL-4
-yellow metal safe
-75-90
-synthetic
-improves syncro operation

These are all of the keys to long life in our trannys, per Aisin, per GM, and per Holden. So this is the route I went. I just dumped my toyota fluid, with only 1700 miles on it. It looked like garbage, lots of metal on the drain plug and already a burned smell. My shifts were still ok so I had zero tranny issues to start with on the Amsoil MTG. 2 quarts of Amsoil later and it feels amazing. Better than my first tranny ever did and better than this new one felt with stock fluid.

My plan now is smooth shifts, slow cold engine shifts, and change the tranny oil at 15,000.

I think are trannys can be ok. They're not perfect, but I think a lot of these failures are from incorrect fluid, abuse, and just horrible clutching.

This is just my research, my 2¢, and hopefully some helpful info.

rich017

Reaction score
I used the Amsoil and Red-Line fluids.

Pretty much everyone on here knows not to use Mobil 1 in the tranny

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I have my OEM tranny, w/ over 155k miles...40k of them, I can account for and they where not easy on it.

It would frequently grind into 2nd, 3rd, and 5th...replaced the fluid with some royal purple and Lucas, stabilizer....made it worse...finnaly switched to mt-90, after a few very hard miles...instantly felt better. Intact, every time I would drain the tranny, stg4 clutch install, rear tailshaft seal, and motor swap I put in mt-90. And after everytime, it would shift smoother...my guess, flushed the crap I put in, out and what ever was in it originally...

Mt-90 has the same specs as amsoil version..

bigdreams

Reaction score
I know this is somewhat off topic, but I'm almost at 60k miles. Should I change my tranny oil soon?

Murderface

Reaction score
Or u can pay the $40 to be a club member and get the dealer prices for a year. Just go to Amsoils website

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
I had a membership 2wice. both times I think I got it for $20 for 6 months. I use Amsoil and have had no complaints. You order it direct and the shipping is fast..:top:

PAXR

Reaction score
I got it on amsoil.com and paid $38 total shipped to my door. Get the stock garbage oil out now.

absolut

Reaction score
this is good info, how about the LSD oil. Which one should we get?
I just spoke with the amsoil guy, he told me the mtg is the right one for my tranny. and he told me to get the gl-5 for the LSD, but i see some of u guys say dont use gl-5? :dontknow: Please point me in the right direction for the LSD oil..

RRCanuck

Reaction score
Our trucks call for 75w90 gl5 in the diff. Toyota claims that you can use gl4 or 5 in our trannys which seems to be a mistake. Im running redline mt90 75w90 gl4 in the trans and redline high performance gear oil 75w90 gl5 in the diff with zero issues. Just stick with gl4 in the trans and gl5 with a lsd additive in the diff and youll be fine.

absolut

Reaction score
cool, thanks bro. i will do the amsoil in the trans and redline in the rear diff.

Top Bottom