Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Trans rebuild

Superloki24

Reaction score
Well I am the latest victim of the lovely transmissions our trucks are blessed with. Had a nasty grind when going into 5th gear so I took it into the dealer and had them check it out. Good thing because they said they need to replace the 5th gear syncro. I am glad it was under warranty, only 6,000 kms before it is past the 100K mark, so maybe after this I can count on it being good for another 94,000km???
Well I just thought I would vent a little bit about it because I think it is totally retarded to have to rebuild a transmission after 94K, mostly highway driving.:thumpdown:

dj_lucas840

Reaction score
Glad they fixing it! I got screwed and had to pay out of pocket! Was very gay!

SooRunner

Reaction score
I wonder if toyota 5 speed tranny would fit in our trucks. I heard those were a better tranny than this 6 speed junk.:hmmmm2: But then again, 6 speed was probably meant to save gas cruising at 2k rpm.

Superloki24

Reaction score
Well finally got the truck back today. The verdict:

- 3rd, 5th and 6th gear replaced
- 5th gear syncro replaced
- 5th gear shift fork replaced

What they are telling me is that whent he shift fork broke (3/4" piece of it missing) it went through the tranny and caught a few gears on its way down. Good thing was that it was covered under the warranty. All I can say is that I am going to be looking forward to this T56 swap if/when it comes out. I think I would get that before the S/C.
Well if you guys have any kind of grind in any gears, my advice is to take it into the dealer right off to see if you can get it under warranty.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
toyota r- series trannys = better than u think.

r-series are fairly stout transmissions, but still you run into the problem of swapping it into the truck.
If someone is going to take the time and spend the money to R&D the swap might as well do it for a trans than can hold a lot more power and have tons of aftermarket support. :top:

BlAck_TAco

Reaction score
lol the tranny in the x-runner/ tacoma's are an R-series trans.
you could change over to a r-154 witch would be capable of handling your needs but its a 5spd
or u could keep it 6speed but spend tons of money to get the mk4 6spd getrag

X-roller

Reaction score
well i am still hiding behind the curtains to unveil my project tranny. :) Lets just say my prototype tranny should be able to handle any amount of ponies that anyone has put thru the X.... including mr. 500 hp. :top: and guess what?.... it's the stock tranny. :biggrin:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That T56 is going to be the save all for these, for the X's. I don't have any issues with mine......for now

Tunedx

Reaction score
well i am still hiding behind the curtains to unveil my project tranny. :) Lets just say my prototype tranny should be able to handle any amount of ponies that anyone has put thru the X.... including mr. 500 hp. :top: and guess what?.... it's the stock tranny. :biggrin:

Whats the secret and how much $$$$$?

X-roller

Reaction score
Whats the secret and how much $$$$$?

Patience. :top: I'm trying to locate a dealer for the parts. I've found the issue just need to find a source for my parts. :biggrin:

and I don't see this fix costing anything close to a t56 swap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom