Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRD BBK vs Rotora BBK

Which BBK Would You Buy?

• TRD BBK, For $2,046

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Rotora BBK, For $1,699

Votes: 37 66.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgeman

Reaction score
I like the looks of the drilled/slotted rotors better than the standard slotted with the TRD BBK, but I feel like acquiring parts for the TRD BBK in the future may be easier and/or cheaper, but perhaps I am wrong.

One word of caution about drilled rotors...they tend to crack across the drilled holes, especially after multiple thermal cycles during repeated hard braking (like track use). But if it's just for looks, and you really don't plan to work them very hard, they will probably be OK.

While doing a search for Rotora, trying to find out a little more about the company, I found they also offer a 6-piston kit that requires 18" wheels to use. Oh, it was about $600-700 more than the 4 piston kit, but that site had the 4-piston brakes a couple hundred more than the Tundra Racing website price.

shaX 07

Reaction score
One word of caution about drilled rotors...they tend to crack across the drilled holes, especially after multiple thermal cycles during repeated hard braking (like track use). But if it's just for looks, and you really don't plan to work them very hard, they will probably be OK.

While doing a search for Rotora, trying to find out a little more about the company, I found they also offer a 6-piston kit that requires 18" wheels to use. Oh, it was about $600-700 more than the 4 piston kit, but that site had the 4-piston brakes a couple hundred more than the Tundra Racing website price.

I've read about this as well. Honestly, this is not a huge concern of mine, for a couple reasons.

1) I will not be tracking my truck, thus I will not be doing any continuous and repeated heavy braking.

2) I haven't seen a lot of Rotora, Brembo or Wilwood drilled rotors crack, obviously it happens but the quality of their rotors is much better and I would feel confident that they Will last quite a while. On the flip side, I would't trust a budget drilled rotor nearly as much (www.brakeperformance.com)

Slay0r

Reaction score
well you dont have to trust the rotors from Brakeperformance.com...they have a lifetime warranty, EBC only has a 12month

Murderface

Reaction score
Shax if ur not gonna use the 4 piston BBK for what it's for then why waste the money on them?

Also how do u know the TundraRacing 2 pistons are junk? I think u may be mistaken

Last edited:

teamben158

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too concerned about 2 vs 4 piston if you aren't racing the truck, but that's just me.

Doesn't the GTR only have single piston calipers? I think that thing brakes pretty well.

shaX 07

Reaction score
Shad if ur ot gonna use the 4 piston BBK for what it's for then why waste the money on them?

Also how do u know the TundraRacing 2 pistons are junk? I think u may be mistaken

Just because i'm not going to be heavy heavy on my brakes ALL the time, does not mean I'm not going to be ever. I really do not feel confident in these brakes even for street use, especially at highway speeds. Thus, instead of choosing to be unhappy with the performance of them OR trade the truck for something with much better brakes, why not just buy the proper BBK for the truck?

TRD S/C - $2,800 - $3,800
APR X1 - $1,200 - $1,400
Fiberglass Tonneau - $800-$1,400

TRD CAI + TRD S/S + DTLTs - $1,000

TRD/Rotora BBK - $1,700 - $2,000

doesn't seem all that bad to me...

I wouldn't be too concerned about 2 vs 4 piston if you aren't racing the truck, but that's just me.

Doesn't the GTR only have single piston calipers? I think that thing brakes pretty well.

Not sure where you got this totally bogus information, but you be 5 pistons short:

2009 Nissan GT-R

World-Class Braking
It requires 15-inch rotors, six-piston Brembo calipers and sticky Bridgestone Potenza RE070R rubber to bring a 3,836-pound GT-R to rest from 60 mph in only 104 feet. That's only 1 foot longer than the Porsche 911 Turbo equipped with the $8,800 ceramic composite brake package. It's also the same stopping distance as the last Dodge Viper we tested and 2 feet shorter than the Corvette Z06.

http://www.insideline.com/nissan/gt-r/2009/full-test-2009-nissan-gt-r-japanese-spec.html

Last edited:

shaX 07

Reaction score
Thread Tag! Ur IT!!

Guys i'm not knocking you for being satisifed with OEM sized slotted/drilled rotors with pads and maybe S/S lines, that's definitely a good set up and a nice improvement over stock.

I just want more out of my brakes, thus I am no longer satisfied with the 10" rotors and single piston calipers that come on this truck. The brake pedal feels like a dangling tree branch and at high speeds, the truck still doesn't stop well.

BBK's aren't for everyone and for those that think they're too expensive, that's all good and fine but everyone i've talked to who has put a good BBK on this truck has said that it is worth every penny and since my truck is paid off, the $1,700 price doesn't seem too terrible.

Murderface

Reaction score
See that's where ur wrong! I'm NOT satisfied with my shitty brakes THEREFORE I don't push the limits of my brakes.
This is where a mature adult comes into play.

With this being said, I will be ditching my heat spotted stock rotors for an upgrade with some carbon brake pads and not SHITTY ceramic pads they put on Grandmas car:top:

shaX 07

Reaction score
Whats the parts list with prices for?

Thread Tag! Ur IT!!

Because you said "it's too expensive for a BBK", yet it's no more expensive than doing anything else to your truck that many people on here have already done and plan to do, yet the BBK offers huge improvements in braking performance and safety.

WCD

Reaction score
You don't have to be racing to enjoy better brakes. They can save your ass when you REALLY need to stop.

I have the TRD BBK and it is fantastic. I wish they had the 4-piston Rotora 3 years ago when I bought my truck because it looks like a good kit for the money.

shaX 07

Reaction score
You don't have to be racing to enjoy better brakes. They can save your ass when you REALLY need to stop.

I have the TRD BBK and it is fantastic. I wish they had the 4-piston Rotora 3 years ago when I bought my truck because it looks like a good kit for the money.

Thank you. Finally someone who has actually FELT a BBK gives some knowledegable input.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score

And just how many high performance luxury/exotic/race cars do you think aren't running them, much less race them regularly. High end brakes that are designed like that are for that reason. Better continual braking under extreme conditions.

It is when people don't have the money for the good stuff, but want a cheap look-a-like that, then expect it to perform as well as the high end rotors. That is why that happens. Have you ever even seen a two piece rotor that is only drilled? Built as a single cut of metal rotor that doesn't have veins or vents, like the ones on our trucks? Rotora is a higher end company, and I can bet their drilled rotors will do much more than just look pretty.

Get the Rotora's. If you want to see some crazy calipers, they also make a Rotora 16 Caliper. They are on a G37 at PowerFab near my house. That's right, 16 piston. Drilled also if I remember correctly

Murderface

Reaction score
Because you said "it's too expensive for a BBK", yet it's no more expensive than doing anything else to your truck that many people on here have already done and plan to do, yet the BBK offers huge improvements in braking performance and safety.

Read my post again bro, I NEVER said "too expensive":top: I said if ur not gonna use them to the fullest then why get the best other then for looks.

if ur gonna quote someone atleast do it correctly:top:

and remember better brakes dont make a better driver, only experience does!

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
I think the 6piston rotora kit is actually only a 100bucks more than the TRD kit and the TRD is only 4piston

Murderface

Reaction score
Hey Shax there's no such thing as "Performence Ceramic Brake Pads". U need to do some reading bro before u try to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. U can find the info anywhere online. Let me help u by letting u read up on some basic "Brake" info. No ball busting just trying to enlighten u some.
http://www.raceshopper.com/tech.shtml#brake_performance

Just scan down and u will see why ur new brake pads suck for what ur trying to avoid and that's break fade and heat.

07SWB

Reaction score
I can get you a trd kit for 1940 plus shipping..

czar_dom

Reaction score
Id spend the extra money and get the Rotora 355mm 6 Piston kit. I love it on mine. Fills the wheel out perfectly and stopping power is night and day difference. If you don't wanna spend that much, the Rotora 330mm 4 Piston kit is a good alternative.

D.A.C

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
Thank you. Finally someone who has actually FELT a BBK gives some knowledegable input.
Heres some input. I had the StopTechs on my 06 and they made a HUGE differance if performance around, in the canyons, and on a track. Besides just the extra braking force there fade restance is awesome compared to stock that will fade on me in a canyon when playing in no time were the BBK will work just fine from 1 side of the mountain to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom