Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRD or StopTech?!

emo_X

Reaction score
The TRD and StopTech kits are identical. I don't even know if you can directly purchase the StopTech kit anymore, though, per marketing agreements between StopTech and TRD.

As for rear proportioning, part of that is going to be dependant upon brake torque and, with aftermarket kits - especially aftermarket kits from two different companies providing two different kits on two different axles of the same vehicle - I don't even know if the aftermarket companies will really be able to answer that one since they don't know the brake torque figures of the other's kits. You might be stuck having to test/tune the setups yourself.
You are exactly right about the TRD Stoptech agreement. I talked to a Stoptech dealers and you cannot get the 332 mm kit. It has to go through TRD. The 355 I found out that you can get it but it is not a balanced setup.

Wizard

Reaction score
The 355 I found out that you can get it but it is not a balanced setup.
Did StopTech tell you this?? This is exactly what I was afraid of. I don't want to deal with a proportioning valve etc..

Jonathan

Reaction score
Here is Jonathan's truck with the 355mm front and I believe the 332mm in the rear. :top:

HPIM0290.jpg

355 front and 355 rear.....both will clear with stock wheels.

Did StopTech tell you this?? This is exactly what I was afraid of. I don't want to deal with a proportioning valve etc..

no true, at all.

RJDoute

"My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"
Reaction score
Holy shit, where the **** have you been Jonathan?

5000XD

Reaction score
What's this about it not being balanced? I do not see a problem with the 355 setup on the X-Runner.

XDsm

Reaction score
What's this about it not being balanced? I do not see a problem with the 355 setup on the X-Runner.

ALL Stoptech BBKs are balanced. That's what Stoptech's business model focus is on. Balanced brakes where you don't have too much bias on either the front or rear. Stoptech sizes the piston sizes and amount of pistons based on the vehicle's stock system.

Reaction score
Damn Jonathan, 355 front and rear?

Good stuff... Must be nice :top:

Went up for a drive last night and a BBK would have been nice...

They were no fun on the way back down...

Last edited:

BlackCat

Reaction score
ALL Stoptech BBKs are balanced. That's what Stoptech's business model focus is on. Balanced brakes where you don't have too much bias on either the front or rear. Stoptech sizes the piston sizes and amount of pistons based on the vehicle's stock system.

Yes and no. If you get them as a kit meant for your vehicle, then yes they are. But if you randomly grab at whatever caliper / rotors that they have off the shelf, then no, they're not. They have several rotor sizes and several caliper sizes. But even for the same calipers, they have different piston sizing arrangements that can be setup to meet different vehicle requirements. So though two sets of calipers meant for two different vehicles may look the same, the internals may be sized differently.

Additionally, another consideration is the master cylinder. Any vehicle's stock master cylinder only holds so much fluid and can deliver so much full volume. If you get calipers with pistons that are way oversized for the your application, you'll find youself bottoming out the brake pedal without maxing the calipers.

So make sure whatever you get from Stoptech is actually tailored to work with your vehicle. If in doubt, call them.

Top Bottom