Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRD s/c 3.4 fuel kit questions.

RossK35

Reaction score
Hey gadget,

I recently purchased a 94 4runner from my friend that I helped do the 3.4 motor swap with trd s/c along with the urd fuel kit, and is running the 2.1" pulley back in 2006. Anyways, it ran great for 2 years and put 20k miles on the swap. It then has had some issues over the last year or so, and wasn't hardly driven since.

On the ftc the map originally started with 9.6 value then was brought down to roughly 8.x maybe lower I don't remember as the boost went up, but it is now running lean with high egt temps.

I have since installed the stock pulley back on the supercharger and have added more fuel with the ftc. the numbers start at 10.1 and go up to 10.7. Is it normal to have to go above a value of 10 on the ftc with just the stock pulley installed? EGT's and AFR readings have since come down to safer levels, but still need some work. Could I have a bad ftc? Maybe a clogged fuel pump? I just changed the fuel filter for the heck of it. The truck starts and runs great otherwise while cruising not in boost. Today I was doing some tuning runs and when the truck enters open loop afr's are 11.5-7 with EGT's at roughly 1200 give or take. 600-800 at idle, and vary between 800-1100 in normal driving conditions depending on load.

I have the scan tool that shows the fuel trims. I make changes to to cells that need it as needed to help with the lean conditions and get the trims as close to zero as possible. It also has the AFR calibrator installed with the stock unmodified map loaded currently.

I can call you later, but wanted to post here first.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
Sounds like you have the original 6 injector kit.

Yes it is unusual to have to go above 10s with larger injectors.

The new fuel filter, is it a real Toyota filter from the dealer or a parts store one? If a parts store filter that could be a problem. I have seen some parts store filters more restrictive than a clogged up Toyota one.

If you have a 99 or later truck an aftermarket air intake can be a real problem. The K&N is the worst and it will make the engine run very lean. You can fix that with tuning, but it can take a lot of work.

G

RossK35

Reaction score
Sounds like you have the original 6 injector kit.

Yes it is unusual to have to go above 10s with larger injectors.

The new fuel filter, is it a real Toyota filter from the dealer or a parts store one? If a parts store filter that could be a problem. I have seen some parts store filters more restrictive than a clogged up Toyota one.

If you have a 99 or later truck an aftermarket air intake can be a real problem. The K&N is the worst and it will make the engine run very lean. You can fix that with tuning, but it can take a lot of work.

G
The truck has the stock intake installed with a oem filer with the deckplate mod. The fuel filter is new from napa just installed yesterday. It originally had a oem toyota filter before.

I had an extra walbro 255 fuel pump that I swapped out earlier today with same results, so the pumps aren't an issue.

Would if be safe to say that this particualr setup will have to be 10.x and up for fuel cells? Is it something I should worry about?

I also have access to a spare ftc that one of my others friends has should I try swapping them and see if I can get the numbers to 9.x and below? Could it be a FTC issue?

Top Bottom