Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRD S/C problem

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My S/C finally was installed but the boost is way too low. I have the URD 2.825" pulley on it and the S/C was only producing 3-5 lbs of boost. I know I am at a high elevation but that is ridiculous. The shop tested the S/C with a smoke tester and there was no leaks internally. The by pass valve is also works.

What the hell is going wrong?

Thanks

***EDIT***

It turned out not to be a problem. The issue was a combination of altitude (2.5 -2.7 psi loss), 20" winter tires with blizzaks (8-12% power loss), ECU hasn't "learned", and a really, really tough dyno.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You might have a leak. In one of two spots, or the belt is slipping for some reason? The two leaks can occur where the cap that says TRD bolts down to the s/c, or where the s/c bolts to the lower plenum. Same place where the stock manifold used to bolt to.

Check to make sure all of the bolts that hold it to the lower plenum are tight. Loosen the side support brackets first that support it to the block. Then check the gasket on the cap and make sure it is good. Re-tighten to make a good seal. Be careful not to over tighten though. They can strip. Seen it. Tighten those with a 1/4" drive ratchet.

Hopefully it isn't the gasket between the plenum and charger, but still an easy fix. Then make sure you tensioner pulley is putting good tension.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not the guage?

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not the guage?

It definitely isn't the gauge. Stock rwhp was 164 and now it is 192 :thumbdown: Something is definitely wrong.

You might have a leak. In one of two spots, or the belt is slipping for some reason? The two leaks can occur where the cap that says TRD bolts down to the s/c, or where the s/c bolts to the lower plenum. Same place where the stock manifold used to bolt to.

Check to make sure all of the bolts that hold it to the lower plenum are tight. Loosen the side support brackets first that support it to the block. Then check the gasket on the cap and make sure it is good. Re-tighten to make a good seal. Be careful not to over tighten though. They can strip. Seen it. Tighten those with a 1/4" drive ratchet.

Hopefully it isn't the gasket between the plenum and charger, but still an easy fix. Then make sure you tensioner pulley is putting good tension.

Thanks for the help Mark. Greatly appreciated. I know this is a tiny set back compared to all the stuff you have gone through but I'm just rattled right now.

Last edited:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
What is your elevation? ~.75psi reduction per 1000', remember...192rwhp is utter garbage. Then again, so is 162rwhp. Only saw 11% increase over base line with the blower...

Did you check your compression? Your numbers seem awfully low...

If you have stock Exhaust, check your cats...you may have an exhaust blockage from a damaged cat...

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
162 rwhp stock? your truck running alright before boost?

Grumpy

Reaction score
The plenum gasket, goes on the bottom of the stock intake manifold, did get transfer to the TRD S/C correct? Same goes for where the throttle body mount to the TRD S/C inlet.

+1 on compression check for that used motor. 162 whp . . . something is seriously out of place. You should be above 200 whp NA.

Last edited:

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
What is your elevation? ~.75psi reduction per 1000', remember...192rwhp is utter garbage. Then again, so is 162rwhp. Only saw 11% increase over base line with the blower...

Did you check your compression? Your numbers seem awfully low...

If you have stock Exhaust, check your cats...you may have an exhaust blockage from a damaged cat...

Calgary elevation -> 3438 ft

I never had any engine problems not even a cel code. I have a completely stock exhaust so I might check the cats but I only have 25K miles on the truck so it shouldn't have a problem with cats being plugged. :dontknow:

162 rwhp stock? your truck running alright before boost?

Perfectly fine. Stock it was a little slower than my mom's lincolhn MKZ V6 which has 263 hp but I never thought is was slow. I could easily spin the tires in 1st gear on dry pavement and get the rear end sliding whenever I wanted to. As I said before the dyno might be a little tougher than others... but still 164 to 192 hp is weak as S***:thumbdown:

The plenum gasket, goes on the bottom of the stock intake manifold, did get transfer to the TRD S/C correct? Same goes for where the throttle body mount to the TRD S/C inlet.

+1 on compression check for that used motor. 162 whp . . . something is seriously out of place. You should be above 200 whp NA.

Used motor? It only has 25K miles on it and it was not used:dontknow:

Last edited:

darthyota

Reaction score
Well if the lower gasket is mxissing or it isn't tightened properly the truck will run like crap and the blower will make a lot of noise. Don't ask me how I know this

what all did ryan have to say about it?

Last edited:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Yah, at your elevation, you should be over 170whp, stock.

Really should check compression but with Your low miles, I doubt that's the case. What does the ass dyno say?

Check the gaskets that the other mentioned...

Toon714

Reaction score
Damn. Ur hp is way too low.
When I had the trd blower with full bolt ons.
I made 315hp and 325tq.

U shoukd be at around 240hp with the blower atleast.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Also...on the dyno in Houston, it was showing 7.5psi, compared to my gauge only showing 6psi...

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Well if the lower gasket is mxissing or it isn't tightened properly the truck will run like crap and the blower will make a lot of noise. Don't ask me how I know this

what all did ryan have to say about it?

Here is what Ryan said about it, "Hey man we have finished installing the supercharger and we have had it reflashed, but when we install on the dyno with the Red URD Pulley the supercharger is only making 3-5 psi of boost.

We have used our specialty smoke tester equipment and confirmed that the supercharger has no leaks externally, and the bypass valve looks like its closed properly.

192whp and about 250ft/lbs, not very good but the boost isn't where it should be either. Its about 4.9-5.0psi at peak. Are you sure this red pulley is correct? "

Also he seen your X S/C and he didn't say anything was running badly. Hopefully it just the belt tensioner.

Yah, at your elevation, you should be over 170whp, stock.

Really should check compression but with Your low miles, I doubt that's the case. What does the ass dyno say?

Check the gaskets that the other mentioned...

Ass dyno hasn't seen the the S/C'd truck yet. NA the truck felt good.... not a complaint. It definitely didn't feel like no 164 hp though.

Damn. Ur hp is way too low.
When I had the trd blower with full bolt ons.
I made 315hp and 325tq.

U shoukd be at around 240hp with the blower atleast.

It all depends on the dyno but it the numbers seem too low. http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=42651

This guy is around the same altitude as me and he had low numbers from the dyno too (although he had a shit superchip though)

Also...on the dyno in Houston, it was showing 7.5psi, compared to my gauge only showing 6psi...

I'm just going with what they say. I haven't seen my truck in over a week. I don't know what kind of gauge they used. :ahhhhh:

Last edited:

Grumpy

Reaction score
Used motor? It only has 25K miles on it and it was not used:dontknow:

My mistake, I have you confuse with someone else that had a blown motor and recently got back on the road.

So someone else install the TRD S/C? Did you get back all your old parts? Double check your stock intake manifold for said gaskets, it can be easily over look.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
My mistake, I have you confuse with someone else that had a blown motor and recently got back on the road.

So someone else install the TRD S/C? Did you get back all your old parts? Double check your stock intake manifold for said gaskets, it can be easily over look.

I think your thinking of Slywitty... but he isn't asian lol.

I took the X to the same place that installed Anthony's S/C (Darthyoda). I'm just gathering all your suggestions and sending it to them.

Thanks for all the input everyone:adore:

Grumpy

Reaction score
Its the internet, you could be half albino African American and Jewish & German mix for all I know. :laugh:

No discrimination . . . I'm just here for the trucks.

BrokenTusk

Reaction score
LOL!! Love that my Dyno thread was quoted, :)

Good luck man I'm subbed to find the outcome and hopefully learn a little myself.

Also, Edmonton Elevation, 668 m (2192 ft

Which is where mine was done

Last edited:

darthyota

Reaction score
and see he's in calgary and i know when czardom had his truck tuned it was she where in the 330 range with the urd or net pulley intake exhaust and a tune for the supporting mods

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
and see he's in calgary and i know when czardom had his truck tuned it was she where in the 330 range with the urd or net pulley intake exhaust and a tune for the supporting mods

He might have been on a different dyno though. Dyno jet vs mustang dyno is completely different numbers. You should get a dyno done at Vex Anthony. :rolleyez:

So just a recap of all the info that went on here.

Things to check

1. S/C belt tensioner
2. Leaks with where the cap that says TRD bolts down to the s/c, or where the s/c bolts to the lower plenum. Same place where the stock manifold used to bolt to.

Anything else?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Top Bottom