Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Truck had the 90L done prior to purchase. Can I get a new pedal?

SOHCmyDOHC

Reaction score
When I got my truck i noticed it had a "dinky" pedal. Didn't think much of it but then I joined XRU and read a few threads about the 90L I called my local dealership and they said it already had the 90L done.

I have a few questions:

Since the 90L was done PRIOR to my purchase how do I know if the brake override thing wasn't done also? My dealer said the pedal was cut and no reflash. I trust my parts guys but they can only tell me what is in the computer because they did not service the vehicle for the recall. I've stepped on the brake and gas but I can't compare it to anything so I even have done some rev matching and heel-toe'ing and it seems fine. Would it be safe to say my truck didn't have the brake override done?

Can I complain to the dealership and say I don't like the feel (which is the truth) to get a new assembly. I'll try to post up pics of my accel pedal soon. It's hard to heel-toe/rev match with the dinky pedal... :(

I have also read that the SC reflash had issues with the smart pedal (at least for the MY10+ from what I have read) but is now fixed. Has any XR's from MY05-09 had a TRD SC installed recently and had no issues? I know a MY11 had one installed and runs w/o issues but mine is an MY08. I really want a TRD SC but will have to wait out all this pedal stuff out.

08x

Reaction score
ya u can still complain about it but the new pedal isnt much bigger and you can hook up the scan tool at the dealership and it will tell u weither or not the reflash has been done

SOHCmyDOHC

Reaction score
Ah ok. Only real way to tell if the smart pedal was done is to bring it in??? I wonder if they will charge me. LOL

Have you had the 90L done? I know most people haven't.

Last edited:

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
You can put the OBX pedal covers on, or probably any other aftermarket pedal covers if you find one that fits your foot a lil better.

X-Caliber

Reaction score
I'll be damned if I let a techie cut my gas pedal in half. I'd go online and order a new pedal assembly man :top:

Murderface

Reaction score
I'll be damned if I let a techie cut my gas pedal in half. I'd go online and order a new pedal assembly man :top:

Just do what I do and never take it to the Stealership for work or ANYTHING! My truck doesn't come anywhere near these places and the closest I come is when I'm passing one on the road. Do ur own work and you'll never have to worry about any recalls, pedal cutting or them fudging up ur truck.

SOHCmyDOHC

Reaction score
Just do what I do and never take it to the Stealership for work or ANYTHING! My truck doesn't come anywhere near these places and the closest I come is when I'm passing one on the road. Do ur own work and you'll never have to worry about any recalls, pedal cutting or them fudging up ur truck.

I have yet to bring it to the dealer for work. Unfortunately, it already had the 90L done before I got it... :bawling:

I too fear the stealership! I have some dingbat friends that work as techs and tell me stories of their "shortcuts" cuz they get paid flat rate... SCARY.

The ONLY thing I won't be able to do myself is flash the ECU when I get my TRD SC... Can I get the reflash BEFORE the install? Otherwise I'd have to tow the truck to the dealer for the reflash... Talk about weaksauce...

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
I have yet to bring it to the dealer for work. Unfortunately, it already had the 90L done before I got it... :bawling:

I too fear the stealership! I have some dingbat friends that work as techs and tell me stories of their "shortcuts" cuz they get paid flat rate... SCARY.

The ONLY thing I won't be able to do myself is flash the ECU when I get my TRD SC... Can I get the reflash BEFORE the install? Otherwise I'd have to tow the truck to the dealer for the reflash... Talk about weaksauce...

No u can't get the reflash before the blower install but u can install the blower and then drive it to the stealership to get the reflash as long as u stay outta boost on the way there. What sux is after they reflash the ECU they're gonna have to test drive it which involves beating on ur ride:thumpdown: when I dropped mine off for the reflash they put like 10 miles on my truck:motz: Not sure why they had to drive it that much other then to joy ride it:thumpdown:

SOHCmyDOHC

Reaction score
I wouldnt have a problem with that but the dealer I trust is an hour away. Gonna be hard to stay out of boost on the freeway. LOL

RossK35

Reaction score
If you don't like the pedal have them order you a new one which will be uncut.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
If you don't like the pedal have them order you a new one which will be uncut.
Yes they can order you a new under the recall but if it is done at the dealer they will order the new modified pedal from the factory which is shorter, but suppose to have a better feel.

No u can't get the reflash before the blower install but u can install the blower and then drive it to the stealership to get the reflash as long as u stay outta boost on the way there. What sux is after they reflash the ECU they're gonna have to test drive it which involves beating on ur ride:thumpdown: when I dropped mine off for the reflash they put like 10 miles on my truck:motz: Not sure why they had to drive it that much other then to joy ride it:thumpdown:
That must have been the dealer you went to that decided to take a joyride in your truck. If you would see some of the way ppl take care of their vehicles working at a dealer some you wouldnt want to take anywhere near a road.

It's not half the pedal they cut off its like 1/2" or 3/4" at the most. You can opt out of getting the recall i believe but they will make you sign a document saying if something fails from the pedal that toyota is not libal. If your not even doing the 90L cuz you dont want cutting on your pedal is try get the new modified pedal part number and look online. But if your just gonna order the same pedal that is on there now that wouldnt even make sense.

All this is just my .02

Last edited:

08x

Reaction score
ya i havent had mine cut i should atleast get paid for it thoe but i dont wanna waste my time wrtting up paper work thoe i no at my dealership most of them looks liek shit so i dont even wanna do mine the ones ive cut dont look to much better but its all about flat rate like u said

Top Bottom