Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Truck having trouble starting?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ok so my truck has always fired up after turning over like 1 or 2 times. A few weeks back it satrted taking a lot of turning over to start. Its like it just decided to do it one day and has done it ever since. Most of the time now i have to turn it over for about 4 or 5 seconds before it starts. Its long enough that people nearby will be like "dude that thing starts a little rough". Once its started it runs fine. It's not bad gas cause its been doing it for about a month. The plugs and wires are good. Air filter is good. No vacuum or boost leaks that I know of. I do have the walbro 255 pump but I dont think that has anything to do with it because its been on the truck for about 6 months. Anyone have any ideas or know of any common things it might be?

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
If its cranking, how would the starter be bad? Lol.

First thing to check with that description is residuel fuel pressure. The regulator should hold pressure at rest. If its failing it bleeds down and takes a few extra seconds to get fuel back into the rails so it will start.

Xtacy

Reaction score
Starter/alternator/battery

Would be hard to say starter or alternator considering they only starting making these trucks in 05.

Battery(well of it's relatively new) do you play your radio a lot with the truck off or have you left your lights on?

Maybe you gotta clean the rerminals

Last edited:

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you running an X-1? I remember hearing about starting issues. Have you tried turning the key to on, letting it is a few seconds then turning it over?

WallasX

Reaction score
my truck did that when i had the mk-1 kit every since i sold it the truck starts up perfect everytime

bigdreams

Reaction score
i had the same problem a couple months ago. my battery's little eye said it was "good" but it wasn't. start with the simplest thing first, and that would be the battery. next in line is the alternator. i've had to replace both already and my truck is just under 65k miles

justin13703

Reaction score
If its cranking, how would the starter be bad? Lol.

First thing to check with that description is residuel fuel pressure. The regulator should hold pressure at rest. If its failing it bleeds down and takes a few extra seconds to get fuel back into the rails so it will start.

Yeah it's not the starter. The fuel pressure thing is exactly what I thought too, how do I check that? It seems like this is what the problem is to me.

Starter/alternator/battery

Would be hard to say starter or alternator considering they only starting making these trucks in 05.

Battery(well of it's relatively new) do you play your radio a lot with the truck off or have you left your lights on?

Maybe you gotta clean the rerminals

I've never left my lights on and I don't usually play the radio with it off. It may be the battery but I don't think it is because the issue isn't that it turns over slowly and causes the problem, it actually turns over just like normal, it just has to turn over alot more than normal. Ill check my terminals when I get home though. And I might get the battery checked just to be sure though

Are you running an X-1? I remember hearing about starting issues. Have you tried turning the key to on, letting it is a few seconds then turning it over?

Nope I wish I could say I had an x1 though...And just out of habit from having a 97 Cherokee I always leave the ignition turned on for a few seconds before cranking it.

my truck did that when i had the mk-1 kit every since i sold it the truck starts up perfect everytime

Yeah mines had the mk1 since I got it but just started doing this recently... I'll have to get a video when I get home and see if we can get any closer to what this might be. But I'm leaning towards the fuel pressure regulator though.

Last edited:

triumphx

Reaction score
Sounds like fuel bleading back down the line, no battery, alternator or starter

justin13703

Reaction score
Ok so I got a video, it actually started up pretty good in this vid, which is surprising. It usually takes much longer and kind of sputters when it first starts. But at least you can see why im sure its not the battery, because it turns over just fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azZ8lj7CoqE

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
i had the same problem a couple months ago. my battery's little eye said it was "good" but it wasn't. start with the simplest thing first, and that would be the battery. next in line is the alternator. i've had to replace both already and my truck is just under 65k miles

That little green eye only shows the status of (1) cell in the battery so don't go by that. On a side note, ever since having my X-1 I just wait till my radar goes thru it's start up(maybe 5 seconds) and then I start it up and it always starts right away. It never takes longer to start

justin13703

Reaction score
That little green eye only shows the status of (1) cell in the battery so don't go by that. On a side note, ever since having my X-1 I just wait till my radar goes thru it's start up(maybe 5 seconds) and then I start it up and it always starts right away. It never takes longer to start
Hmmm...maybe that means an X-1 will fix it. ChristDenied, you should "loan" me yours. I need it more than you. :laugh:

Honestly though, im leaning more towards the fuel regulator. It makes sense because it only gives me problems after it sits for at least a few hours and it kind of sputters for a quick second when it does fire up, which im guessing is the fuel making it to the motor. So is there a way to test it? If it needs replaced, about how much are they and is the staelership the only place to get one?

Red_Hott

Reaction score
i can almost bet any amount of money on it that its the battery.....mine started doing that about 4 months ago and i have always looking in my back seat and it said i had plenty of volts so never really worried about...but the longer it went on it started getting worse and at times it was like i would have to bump the starter as in like the starter was hanging up...it got to the point where my battery would slowly die on its own to the point where if i would go more than a day without cranking it...i would have to jump it off....i finally changed the battery out and do not have anymore delays or troubles with my truck cranking...it starts up alot faster now

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
i can almost bet any amount of money on it that its the battery.....mine started doing that about 4 months ago and i have always looking in my back seat and it said i had plenty of volts so never really worried about...but the longer it went on it started getting worse and at times it was like i would have to bump the starter as in like the starter was hanging up...it got to the point where my battery would slowly die on its own to the point where if i would go more than a day without cranking it...i would have to jump it off....i finally changed the battery out and do not have anymore delays or troubles with my truck cranking...it starts up alot faster now

the bumping starter thing, i did that for almost a year...can be caused by a weak battery, replaced that... can also be caused by a weak alternator. :top: Mine was putting out 13.4, so i assumed it was ok, so i replaced the starter next.......did a load test on the alt, after she kept doing it, failed with flying colors...:thumbdown:

From what OP described, a slightly leaky fuel pressure regulator can cause excessive cranking after sitting. :top:

triumphx

Reaction score
Seriously doubt the battery, its most likely the fpr. If you plan on boosting or are boosted just get a aftermarket one. The oem one is about 90 bucks

Top Bottom