Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

truck vibrates under acceleration

jhg_12

Reaction score
My truck vibrates only under acceleration and i can hear a squeak coming from under the truck at low speeds different (louder) than the throw out bearing squeak. it vibrates under low or heavy accel from 1 mph on. could it be the u joints on the drive shaft? If it is which u joints fit our xrunners?

Gadget

Reaction score
Do you have a short shifter?

G

jhg_12

Reaction score
Do you have a short shifter?

G

Yes but i feel the vibration on the pedal and steering wheel the more you rev the engine the more it shakes while coasting nothing happens. Tranny vibration is normal but you can feel somthing isnt right from the shifter and the steering wheel like a few thumps really quick like if it was a rotating motion.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Instead of vibrating, is it bogging on takeoff? :dontknow:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Which pedal fo you feel it on, and had you done any mods just prior to noticing the vibrations?

gearhead899

Reaction score
first things first, check all your tires for defects, shifted belts or bubbles

Gadget

Reaction score
Remove the console and shifter boot.

Look for contact between one of the shifter bolts and the vehicle floor.

When you find it, take pliers and slightly bend the sheet metal up a bit to give more clearance between the floor and shifter bolt.

That should take care of it.

G

jhg_12

Reaction score
You feel it on the gas pedal and steering wheel as soon as you let go of the gas it goes away i feel as if somthing is off balance in the shaft but it wouldnt make sense since it doesnt vibrate rolling without pressing gas so it not tires or d-shaft.

No mods previous to this happening

Remove the console and shifter boot.

Look for contact between one of the shifter bolts and the vehicle floor.

When you find it, take pliers and slightly bend the sheet metal up a bit to give more clearance between the floor and shifter bolt.

That should take care of it.

G

Thier is plenty of clearance i just bent the top right side just to make shure the vibration is still there. I can hear the throw out bearing and another strange louder noise coming from directly under the tranny like when you run a bearing without grease kinda noise.

Last edited:

jhg_12

Reaction score
No clue it started with a small vibration now its much more noticable

Gadget

Reaction score
I am still betting on the shifter tower contacting the floor. You may want to drive it with the console out and watch for it.

Very typical way it presents. Feel it in the pedals on acceleration.

G

jhg_12

Reaction score
It ended up being the u joint closest to the transmission as a line of grease was over the truck cab runs smooth now

Snakerb

Reaction score
I just started having the same issue. Vibration through the gas pedal and steering wheel only under acceleration. Did you take it to the shop or did you do the work yourself?

Snakerb

Reaction score
Ok, so I checked with Toyota just to see what they'd say and they're telling me almost $400 to get my U-joint replaced due to diagnosis, parts ($94.33 for the U-joint), and labour. They're called stealerships for a reason I guess.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
A drive shaft shop could do that for about $40-70, if you take it to them.

Snakerb

Reaction score
I plan on going it myself today along with an oil change. Thanks to this post I didn't go replacing everything on the front end

Snakerb

Reaction score
A drive shaft shop could do that for about $40-70, if you take it to them.

Thanks to the base hobby shop I was able to do it myself for about $6 and it only took me about an hour.

Top Bottom