Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTC traction bar brackets bent

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
bending them back would only be a temporary fix since the steel yielded and will only do it again and be weaker than it was before.

The mounting point needs to be directly below the axle so that load is placed tangent to the axle housing. since the mounting point is 3 inches or so in front of the axle, there is a second moment arm working on that bracket. When the axle "wraps" up, there is load placed on the bracket forcing the rear of it up, while the front it locked by the bar, so it bends. moving the mounting point below the axle would fix it.

you probably have some spring pre load on them since it bent and the front mount didnt more, the axle is being held by the bars now ( not necessarily bad, as you would purposely do that with adjustable bars)

Im an ME to, and bending or heating it up its not a good option ( its no so critical here since its 1/4" plate ( maybe larger), heating it would release the stresses you built up when it bent, but like mentioned before, a true heat treat it needs to put the structure back.

Justin

ntinhri

Reaction score
you know where I live yardie.... bring it son

blastap

Reaction score
im not that worried about it, i really dont need them it was just in case some choad comes up and wants some.

rich017

Reaction score
I will see how much it would be for someone to make me some stronger ones because I would hate for this to happen again. Whenever I get a chance i will take them off and see who can make me some for a reasonable price., If not I will have to buy more.

The truck drives the same but the damn creaking is driving me crazy!

blastap

Reaction score
the creaking might be that the joints are just dry, if you have grease gun the bars have zert(sp) fitting on them

rich017

Reaction score
the creaking might be that the joints are just dry, if you have grease gun the bars have zert(sp) fitting on them

They have grease in them and I even sprayed WD-40 around all the bushings

Yallrun

Reaction score
Hum if you could find a good metal fab guy those could be made super easy. :top:

RedXRunner

"Splash Baby Douchecanoe"
Reaction score
so i guess these traction bars:thumpdown: thanks for the heads up... looks like the company that makes these traction bars should know about this.:thumpdown:

rich017

Reaction score
so i guess these traction bars:thumpdown: thanks for the heads up... looks like the company that makes these traction bars should know about this.:thumpdown:

It's not the design. I must have bottomed out really hard to make these bend. Plenty of people have these bars and I am only the 2nd person to have this happen to.

The first was because someone installed them on composite leafs without the other brackets needed.

RedXRunner

"Splash Baby Douchecanoe"
Reaction score
It's not the design. I must have bottomed out really hard to make these bend. Plenty of people have these bars and I am only the 2nd person to have this happen to.

The first was because someone installed them on composite leafs without the other brackets needed.

I see that but .... these are traction bars.. like if you take corners really hard? would it bend? like these are made to help out your truck...iono its my

EDIT: o well lol hopefully it does not get worse..

Dallas

Reaction score
I told glen when I bought mine that the brackets looked cheesy for what the bars cost. I will be making new ones for both the front and rear while my truck is put away for the winter.

rich017

Reaction score
I see that but .... these are traction bars.. like if you take corners really hard? would it bend? like these are made to help out your truck...iono its my

EDIT: o well lol hopefully it does not get worse..

They make everything stiffer. The traction bars actually help you "slide" around corners.
When you launch you have massive wheel hop. with these bars there is no wheel hop and when you slam into second the tires just spin instead of the rear bouncing.

I told glen when I bought mine that the brackets looked cheesy for what the bars cost. I will be making new ones for both the front and rear while my truck is put away for the winter.

I am interested in what you will be making. Keep me updated because I might be interested in buying another set if you dont mind making them again

Last edited:

My68ur8trd

Reaction score

They shouldn't inhibit suspension travel, so bottoming out shouldnt bend them.

I also dont think that axle wrap has enough force to bent a 1/4 inch plate, but you never know

now if the suspension bound up and bent them, thats a different story

a shackle type mount up front would allow the arm to adjust to suspension travel. ( the budbuilt 4x4 bars had this to allow for the large suspension travel), remember, the suspension more vertically in a straight line during normal driving ( with the exception of an axle wrap situation which the bar would stop), while the arm moves in an arc, there needs to be something to allow for it.

Justin

rich017

Reaction score
They shouldn't inhibit suspension travel, so bottoming out shouldnt bend them.

I also dont think that axle wrap has enough force to bent a 1/4 inch plate, but you never know

now if the suspension bound up and bent them, thats a different story

a shackle type mount up front would allow the arm to adjust to suspension travel. ( the budbuilt 4x4 bars had this to allow for the large suspension travel), remember, the suspension more vertically in a straight line during normal driving ( with the exception of an axle wrap situation which the bar would stop), while the arm moves in an arc, there needs to be something to allow for it.

Justin

well i looked under the truck better the other day when I jacked it up again.

My driver side front leaf spring mount has red paint on it. The bars must have slammed into the leaf mount and bent the trac bar brackets

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
well i looked under the truck better the other day when I jacked it up again.

My driver side front leaf spring mount has red paint on it. The bars must have slammed into the leaf mount and bent the trac bar brackets

now that shouldnt happen at all,

it there a big dent in the bar?

i would consider that binding :rolleyez:

Justin

Twisted Creations

Reaction score
Hmmmm...for something like that, I wouldn't bend it back. Is there some type of warranty on them? Maybe try the URD traction bar?

Hope you get it fixed...

The warranty is valid for the original purchaser of the product, these were purchased used from another XR owner. As is standard for most warranty claims.

rich017

Reaction score
Im gonna have to take um off soon cause I had the atv in the bed this weekend and it sounded like I had a creak monster under there. Didnt like the extra weight at all

Also, whats a stronger metal?? There are some metal fab shops around here and I am curious as to what stronger ones will cost

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
Im gonna have to take um off soon cause I had the atv in the bed this weekend and it sounded like I had a creak monster under there. Didnt like the extra weight at all

Also, whats a stronger metal?? There are some metal fab shops around here and I am curious as to what stronger ones will cost

a stonger metal isnt the answer, mild steel is fine for this application. its just unsupported ( you have a flat piece of steel there) , but if it really hit the mount, I would rather the bracket bend than the bar itself. I would solve the bar hitting problem before making new brackets. you could probable strap the front of the bracket to the spring and strengthen it too.

Justin

Top Bottom