Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

URD CAI best method?

USAFX

Reaction score
just got a URD CAI from HottacoX,
it should be in my hands friday and was looking into install it over the weekend
how did you extend the MAF wires... what is the best method so there are no problems on the long run...

PS HottacoX , I was going to ask you how you did it but I also wanted to get some input from the rest of the crew and see how some members did theirs..
Thanks for the fast shipping... cant wait to have that on.... lol I guess my gas mileage will go down a little...

butters607

Reaction score
just got a URD CAI from HottacoX,
it should be in my hands friday and was looking into install it over the weekend
how did you extend the MAF wires... what is the best method so there are no problems on the long run...

PS HottacoX , I was going to ask you how you did it but I also wanted to get some input from the rest of the crew and see how some members did theirs..
Thanks for the fast shipping... cant wait to have that on.... lol I guess my gas mileage will go down a little...

solder with the rubber heat shrink stuff then tape over top!

Slay0r

Reaction score
and make sure you have a splash gaurd/heat shield as well as a hydro shiled prefilter so you dont suck up water while you're driving down the street in rain

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
To be safe, label each wire on both ends before you cut them, or cut and splice them one at a time.
Also do as Butters said solder each connection.
Good luck! :top:

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
yep
solder/heat shrink one at a time.

If you want a nice clean run get a 5 conductor cable (i think it was 5 wires?)

And Disconnect battery

USAFX

Reaction score
guys, how did you cut the radiator support?
I need to make the bracket that holds the CAI in the front... any ideas? do's and do not's

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
guys, how did you cut the radiator support?
I need to make the bracket that holds the CAI in the front... any ideas? do's and do not's

Sawzall, but I wouldn't recommend it. Kind of ugly.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
and make sure you have a splash gaurd/heat shield as well as a hydro shiled prefilter so you dont suck up water while you're driving down the street in rain

Just for a heads up, I don't think you can run the splash/heat shield with the stock grille. I have my splash/heat shield still not installed because I didn't have enough room for it with the stock grille. Once summer comes along I'll maybe modify the grille or get an MX or RGM grille and then I will install the splash shield.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
solder with the rubber heat shrink stuff then tape over top!

yep, and Dan would do if for free if you lived here in EP.....:laugh:
Naw, he did this on mine. Best method by far!

Pick up a MAF CAL when you can to wake up that intake. Course with a G tune and a plug n play harness.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
air powered body saw with a thin blade is probably the best bet. Or you could take a drill and drill about a hundred holes around the edge then nip that piece out and smooth it out with a dremel or die grinder.

Do yo know what the brackets look like that are supposed to hold it on? I just used the one piece, and bolted it to the intake and the rad support.

I dont know if this pic helps
SNC00175.jpg

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Sproulesxrunner said:
Just for a heads up, I don't think you can run the splash/heat shield with the stock grille. I have my splash/heat shield still not installed because I didn't have enough room for it with the stock grille. Once summer comes along I'll maybe modify the grille or get an MX or RGM grille and then I will install the splash shield.

I don't think you need the heat shield if you still have the stock grill. The stock grill actually acts as that shield and blocks majority of the air going in and deflects most of the water....but do get the hydro shield to be safe.

Murderface

Reaction score
I used a 4" hole saw to do mine and another members XRunner. IMO I think it looks better not cutting out the whole section and just have a hole the intake can pass thru.Just make sure u file the edges down smooth and put some primer and paint over the bare metal to keep it from rusting. Plus if u don't have an air saw a hole saw is much cheaper to buy.

USAFX

Reaction score
I used a 4" hole saw to do mine and another members XRunner. IMO I think it looks better not cutting out the whole section and just have a hole the intake can pass thru.Just make sure u file the edges down smooth and put some primer and paint over the bare metal to keep it from rusting. Plus if u don't have an air saw a hole saw is much cheaper to buy.

I like this idea...

Houston X Runner

Reaction score
I like the way this LOOKS.
but is there any power benefit to this setup or any other type of gains? (sound,mpg's,etc)

Murderface

Reaction score
I like this idea...

If you've ever used a hole saw it won't be too hard to do. When starting the saw is gonna want to catch and stop so you'll have to make sure u do it slow and take ur time. The end product looks nicer and you'll be cutting less material out of the core support. U still have to tape the template into position and just use a scribe or a sharpie to mark the original cutting area and then just line up the hole saw into position and start cutting.
Also if ur not too confident in soldering the wires u can get these butt connectors that u place the wires into and heat up the ends because there's solder in there. No crimping needed, just heat the solder to melt it and ur done!

Check out this link, theres a video of the sealed solder butt connectors I'm talking about!
http://cableorganizer.com/elelktralink-butt-splices/image-video-viewer.html?utm_medium=image-viewer

Fastenal carries them so if u have a store close by pick some up

Last edited:
Top Bottom